PDA

View Full Version : Good to meet you all last night....

thenimirra
04-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey there, this is thenimirra. It was great to meet so many of you last night and I wanted to personally thank nuclearlemon for inviting me to the Rising Sun monthly meeting.

I am the owner of a 1963 FJ40, and I can't be more proud to have her. I don't know a thing about vehicles, can't even change a tire or drive the FJ's 3-on-the-tree, but I am excited to learn and I can't wait to build her up one piece at a time. My plan is to keep her as stock as possible. She had been sitting in storage for the last three years (as you can see from the pics).
http://picasaweb.google.com/thenimirra/MyFJ40

and it was a great adventure getting her home to my garage.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/thenimirra/Welcome%20Home%20FJ/?start=0

Now the real work and education begins and I have hopes to be driving her on a trail this summer!

http://picasaweb.google.com/thenimirra/BuildingTheFJ

I would welcome any advice on how to proceed. Come on by my place, check her out and tell me what I need to do! :thumb:

gcmandrake
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I thought that I recognized you. I had to imagine you without a camera in front of you. I'm just a little slow these day. Welcome to our club. Wait until you see some of the places that you can go in your FJ.

the Other Matt

FJBen
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
awesome! you got hooked up with a good crew. :beer::beer::beer:

Shark Bait
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Very nice! Welcome. :clap:

MDH33
04-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Welcome! :D

Wow, that's a really nice and original looking early cruiser! Glad your plan is to keep it stock. You're going to love it. Let's get it running so you can bring it on some runs this summer!

Any ideas what it needs yet? Any history?

:thumb:

wesintl
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Nice to chat with you. Hopefully we can help get that 63 back on the road.

I did say those hubcaps were worthless your should give them to me....right?

Red_Chili
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Congrats, and welcome!
Looks like it will be a fertile project.
Why, in the first pictures, it even has vines growing out of it!
:lmao:

It will soon be spiffy, no doubt.

Romer
04-03-2008, 02:53 PM
it was nice to meet you as well. Looking forward to seeing your 40 on the road.

Uncle Ben
04-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Congrats, and welcome!
Looks like it will be a fertile project.
Why, in the first pictures, it even has vines growing out of it!
:lmao:

It will soon be spiffy, no doubt.

Very nice to meet you! That is a very sweet looking 63! It will be fun to see it come back to everyday life! Oh and never mind Bill (Red Chili) he has a bad case of Cruiser envy and he only has a flashy minitruck for a pacifier! ;) :lmao:

thenimirra
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
What I really need to do is have an FJ party at my place so folks can come over and take a look at it and see what it needs.

When cleaning her up that first week, we found some information in the glove compartment, namely an expense report stating fill-ups and payment. Seems as if the original owner may have worked for the Post Office. My BF says he thinks the owner may still be in town, so I'm going to do some research.

I know everyone is preparing for Moab right now, but I would definitely appreciate some help with my baby!

Hulk
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
That's a neat old Cruiser! Where did you find it? I bet that's a story in itself -- looks like it was overgrown with vines. Looks like it's an original soft top model. You have some bows, but I'm not certain they're original Toyota bows -- they look like old Kayline bows to me. You should keep everything, even the seat frames.

Very cool!

thenimirra
04-03-2008, 05:07 PM
My BF bought it from a family who only used it during the hunting season (hence the fewer than 55,000 miles on it in spite of it's age). It has been sitting in storage for nearly three years. Mike says he drove her into storage and he put a new battery in her at that time, but it hasn't been started since.

Mendocino
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm sure if you provide beer you will have a long list of participants and opinions.;) Sorry I missed you last night.

What I really need to do is have an FJ party at my place so folks can come over and take a look at it and see what it needs.

When cleaning her up that first week, we found some information in the glove compartment, namely an expense report stating fill-ups and payment. Seems as if the original owner may have worked for the Post Office. My BF says he thinks the owner may still be in town, so I'm going to do some research.

I know everyone is preparing for Moab right now, but I would definitely appreciate some help with my baby!

Red_Chili
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM

You mean, the kind where we come over and drink your beer and tell you where you need to spend your money?

Can't think of a downside!

Never mind UB, he suffers from reaction formation as the psychiatrists would say. "Methinks he doth complain too much". He keeps talking about how bad minitrucks are, yet his cruiser has minitruck parts. He's jealous of yours. A real cruiser.

thenimirra
04-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm linear thinking AND anal too, so I need to make a list of what needs to be done and then start checking things off! ;) I just need some guidance. As much as I am excited to get this going, I'm also very anxious and worried about making mistakes and screwing things up. And I also don't want her to sit in my garage unused either! I want to get out there, but it worries me that I don't know enough to fix things when they break down. I feel overwhelmed with everything that I have to learn....

I was thinking about coming to the wheel bearing party so I can start helping out.

Red_Chili
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
By all means, show up at the WBPP! There will be several front axle servicings being done. Plus it will be fun.
it worries me that I don't know enough to fix things when they break down. I feel overwhelmed with everything that I have to learn....
Every person you met has been there. (Some still are, but don't tell UB I admitted to it). It's always the starting point.

thenimirra
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
yeah, I said I would only admit it to myself once that I was scared........

and then NEVER AGAIN!!!

let's git her done!

rover67
04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
wow, great find. that thing looks great! build it back to stock! it'll be sweet!

Corbet
04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the Cruiser Addiction.

nuclearlemon
04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
awesome to meet ya and see you at the meeting!!! glad you made it! hope you got some good eyecandy pictures. next time, you'll have to stick around for the brewski's afterwards (taxi's go to the airport, ya know ;) )

Burlew
04-03-2008, 07:32 PM
It was great meeting you last night! I can relate to the not knowing a thing and wanting to learn. It looks like we have found the best place to start!:cheers:

Romer
04-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Now if you come to the wheel packing party, that counts as a club event, which means you can voted in as a member. You don't have to be a member to enjoy our trail runs, meetings or camaraderie though. We have never been and never will be a members only club.

cbmontgo
04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Those are some really great pics of the FJ40 "rescue". Hopefully it will be on the road soon!

Rzeppa
04-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm linear thinking AND anal too, so I need to make a list of what needs to be done and then start checking things off! ;) I just need some guidance. As much as I am excited to get this going, I'm also very anxious and worried about making mistakes and screwing things up. And I also don't want her to sit in my garage unused either! I want to get out there, but it worries me that I don't know enough to fix things when they break down. I feel overwhelmed with everything that I have to learn....

I was thinking about coming to the wheel bearing party so I can start helping out.

It was great to meet you last night too! That's a VERY sweet, stock and unmolested 1963!

You are MORE than welcome to join us on Saturday, we'd be pleased to have you. As one anal "make a list and check things off" person to another, I'm sure you'll be happy with what you can learn and accomplish in our group.

Happy cruisin' and welcome to Rising Sun and cruiserdom!

FJBen
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
We have never been and never will be an 80 Series members only club.

That might fit a little better :lmao::D

subzali
04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
What part of town do you live in? (N,S,E,W?) That might help people figure out what kind of time commitment they would be up against to some check out your truck! Shoot, even if you're up in Fort Collins I might just drive up to check it out, wouldn't be the first time! :o

These things are purely mechanical (especially one of your model year), which for people like me makes it easier to understand. You are starting with a running vehicle, which is a huge benefit because you have that baseline to go off of. I started at the age of 15 with a running but not driveable '66 Chevy pickup. I started with the simple things - tune up, change the oil etc., then changed the oil on the differentials, transmission, transfer case, greased driveshafts, etc. Then I kinda did things backwards (i.e. too complex too soon) and attacked the Quadrajet carb to try and rebuild it. I got it done, but I never ended up getting the thing dialed in right. With the 327 I had it to the point where I could spin the tires in 3rd gear on a dirt road, but it never really idled right. So I'm still kinda scared of carbs, but don't worry the carb on your Cruiser is a lot more simple than a Quadrajet. Next I did the brakes, which really aren't that hard on Cruisers either. Then I got my 40, which was also running, and have just worked my way into things. Now I'm 22 and the most recent things I did were pulling the head (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3102&highlight=head&page=2") about a year ago to fish out a broken hose clamp from my valves, and doing major repair work on my front and rear axle, including setting up a differential, when I broke my rear pinion (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5335&page=4) in Moab last Thanksgiving.

So just take it slow, start with the easy things, make a list of what it needs and prioritize, and you'll have it in tip-top shape in a timely fashion! :thumb: And BTW, :risingsun:

Red_Chili
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
We have never been and never will be a LANDCRUISER members only club.

Fixed it for ya.

Mendocino
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
thenimirra,

That is one incredible FJ40! I am totally jealous. I would do a frame off on that in a minute; well, err, at least get started in a minute:rolleyes:

Want to trade for a running, licensed, and smogged 73 FJ40 with a small block Chevy?:D

Cheers,

Jeff

thenimirra
04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, I live out by DIA off of I-70 and Chambers. I wanted to designate Sundays as my build days since I tend to do photography gigs on Saturday. I thought I might just pick a date and then invite friends from Colorado 4X4 and the MUD forum too. I provide food and beer? What do you think?

I have April 13?

I will also be coming to the event tomorrow so I can start learning!

thenimirra
04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
It was great meeting you last night! I can relate to the not knowing a thing and wanting to learn. It looks like we have found the best place to start!:cheers:

Hey there! I am so glad to meet another noob and to know I'm not alone in starting out!