PDA

View Full Version : Good place to get 22re head machined

beatdown83fj60
04-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I've got a good engine on the way (never got enough cash to get a rebuilt) that is coming in longblock form. It has 156k and I plan on getting the head rebuilt/resurfaced and doing a fresh HG t-chain etc. with engnbldr parts (which happen to be sweet as I hold them in my hand :D ) I want to know of a reputable shop to do the machine work on the head because I'm going to be doing a lot of the legwork for my mechanic to save a few bones (plus I get my choice of parts that way). Any ideas? My mechanic (ex employer) reccomends and uses Gunn usually with great success, but if there is a place that is really good with Toyota specifically I wouldn't mind it.

Red_Chili
04-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Gunn.

beatdown83fj60
04-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Cool, that's all I needed to hear for the most part. If there was a place more desired for Toyota only work I was in, but otherwise it was going to be them.

powderpig
04-05-2008, 09:06 AM
What part of town are you in? Gunn does good work, but Pat and Bill at Mountain High performance do excellent work as well. Bill has been doing toyota heads for over 20 years and can do the job well. They are located on Ward rd north of I70. 303-420-6218

beatdown83fj60
04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
My truck is going to my buddies shop in Evergreen, I actually live in Dumont (less than a mile from Spring Creek :D) so the closer the better. I may give them a shout as well. It sounds like either place would be good.

beatdown83fj60
04-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Two more things I just thought of....One I think I'd like to get my injectors reman'd or buy some that are new or reman. Any ideas locally or should I go through RC, LC, etc.?

Two, I think I'm going to see what I can do to get the fuel filter relocated from under the manifold (22re) to make it easier to change in the future. What kind of parts should I be hunting down? I'd like to stick it somewhere on the firewall for easy access if possible. Maybe even along the framerail like a carb'ed truck.

Uncle Ben
04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
What part of town are you in? Gunn does good work, but Pat and Bill at Mountain High performance do excellent work as well. Bill has been doing toyota heads for over 20 years and can do the job well. They are located on Ward rd north of I70. 303-420-6218

X2 on Mountain High Performance! Bill and Pat do exceptional work!

J Kimmel
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
who is Gunn? I was going to take mine to heads by paul, but if there is a better one out there that specializes in Toyota,

powderpig
04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Gunn is a old machine shop down on federal(if I remember right). Clean shop, reasonable rates, good work. I stopped using them a long time ago and like who I use now.
Witchhunter.com is a good place to send the injectors out. usually a 1 day turn around. So you mail them quick(2-3day) 1 maybe 2 days in the shop, mailed back to you 2-3 day. way cheaper then RC. I have not found anyone local to do them.
I do not know what part you need for the filter on the fender. Ever wonder why they put the filter under the intake?

Red_Chili
04-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Injectors:
http://www.witchhunter.com/
the best.

DaveInDenver
04-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I sent my injectors to Witchhunter, also. Quick turn around, easy to get a hold of, etc. He'll do your cold start injector, too. Think it was $70 for all 4 main injectors and the cold start with all new o-rings and gaskets. When I pulled them out I wrote the number of which cylinder it came from and he took the time to etch that number on the injector before cleaning them (which removed the Sharpie ink). I sent mine via Priority Mail on Monday, he got them Wednesday and sent them back out same day. Had them back in my hands that Friday.

beatdown83fj60
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Right on I was hoping to find someone cheaper than RC and didn't want to go through NAPA etc.

I'm not sure why they put the fuel filter where it is. I've -heard- that they put it there in the event there is an accident but I'm not sure about that.

bskey
04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd be interested in your results to relocate the fuel filter. It's a PITA to get to!

beatdown83fj60
04-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah, it'd be nice if it was on the firewall huh? I'll probably just have my mechanic figure it out while he's installing my new engine as long as he's not going to charge me an arm and a leg for figuring it out. If so I'll definitely post up some pics and get a parts list together to help others.

bskey
04-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Great~ if you would post pics and details of what your mechanic does I'd really appreciate it!

DaveInDenver
04-07-2008, 06:24 AM
When I did my engine last year I considered relocating the filter. I think the easiest place to put it will be the right fender, right above that removable section of fender skirt. There is a flexible line that connects the filter to the tank and a flexible line that connects the filter to the fuel rail and it seemed at first blush that they'd be long enough to work.

But ultimately I left it where it was. I have my A/C drier there. Also I didn't mind pulling off the upper intake last time I replaced the fuel filter (about 7 years ago), cleaning the throttle body and replacing the gaskets anyway. Just the way I roll, $30 filter replacement = weekend project + $30 filter + $50 in new copper washers, various gaskets, carb cleaner and vacuum hose. I'm the king of taking the simple and making it complex... Next time I do it I'm taking off the whole intake and cleaning it, maybe try and keep that black nasty gunk from building up inside.

Kenon698
04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
X3 on Mountain High Performance. Had my 2F head done there. Great price and great to work with.

beatdown83fj60
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Great~ if you would post pics and details of what your mechanic does I'd really appreciate it!

I will for sure as long as he doesn't try to nail me to the cross on price, I'm kind of recovering from a winter as a snowboard bum so money is tight to say the very least. I don't think he will but I'm already sucking up a longblock install and headwork so every penny will count.