PDA

View Full Version : Been slow... so what did you get prepped this weekend?

Rezarf
04-06-2008, 11:41 PM
CM08 has me on over drive...

What'd you get done this weekend?

:thumb:

AxleIke
04-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Had a hugely disappointing and disheartening session trying to fix gas tank problems on the truck. With the exception of the high pressure hose, every other hose on my tank is rotted.

Before this, when I'd fill up, as the tank got topped off, it would spill fuel all over the ground. I'm hoping I have that part fixed, but the tank will have to be dropped.

ugh.

Shark Bait
04-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Pulled my Orion Saturday and figured out my idler gear is buggered up. Installed my Ham and CB radios. Got a spare t-case (thanks Timm) that will go in Friday.

Besides the t-case I need to also tighten my wheel bearings, check alignment, install longer front brake flex line, install center console, stereo & speakers, install winch, new fuel sender, fix RR tail light wiring, mount front tow points, run rear license plate wiring. Install front drive shaft. Buy and install shocks. Run diff & t-case breathers. Oh, and adjust the carb.

corsair23
04-07-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm a slacker :hill:

Caught two AWESOME soccer games on Saturday. First up was the 4yr old who scored 5+ goals (lost count) and wore me out just watching her run around. Second up was the8yr old who scored a goal (2 for the season in 2 games despite playing mostly defense :thumb:) and helped her team win 3:1

Sunday was antenna building day :D - Actually got the 40 out of the garage and drove it...LOVED every minute of it! And, getting the 40 out of the garage was an important step for me so I have something to drive when I park the LX in the garage and get busy on some late night repairs and PM before CM08.

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Well, not just this weekend, but...
Got a Premier Power Welder and 170A alternator installed. Been wanting one for years. Kinda silly to have two batteries and a charging system that won't recharge them adequately.
Got the ham installed and working (thanks, Dave!).
Got my hand throttle reinstalled finally.
Remounted the second air compressor that I had to remove to mount the PPW. With a shoehorn, I managed to squeeze it in. Now I just have to rewire and replumb it.
Got a couple Silverstar Ultra bulbs for the headlights. Unplanned. I became a padiddle on the way home from somewhere, can't have THAT! On sale at Checker. They are reeeeeeallly bright.
Perhaps most importantly, I managed to get the corner lights to line up correctly with the grille.
Equally important, I procured a couple TEQ Red Chilis for the rear quarter panels.
:lmao: :hill:

Romer
04-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Finally got my engel holding system with turnbuckles done and beefed up the brackets on the deck.

Replaced burned out light bulb

Installed Overhead console, after figuring out the wiring

Modified my Sun Visors to work with the Console

Most impotantly, I only have one teenager now. Rachel turned 20 yesterday:woot:

nuclearlemon
04-07-2008, 09:09 AM
rear main seal and rebuilt brake master with much help from root.:)

rover67
04-07-2008, 10:34 AM
lots o stuff leading up to the weekend, but this weekend started on sliders and ran out of gas, hammered on a fender to clearance a bit for the 35's, and helped martin do a front pinion seal... which I found out i need to now do on mine :) And... today, I'm off to the driveshaft shop to get the front shaft rebuilt.. again. Noting like a deadline to force me to get things done....

subzali
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Tried setting up my ring and pinion in order to have a spare 3rd member, but no go :( Side adjuster nut won't move the ring side-to-side to increase the backlash :(

Re-mounted my CB antenna on my front bumper, got a 2m antenna that needs to be mounted there as well. Ordered an FT-7800 that should be here Tuesday :thumb:

Found out my brake lights and reverse lights don't work, but my turn signals and running lights do...:confused: Have to figure that out.

Now have to mount 2nd fuse block to run power for my radios, mount the fire extinguishers with the metal brackets UB picked up for me, move my CB to the dash and the Ham to the Tuffy, and hopefully maybe still have time to swap my rear springs with new bushings before CM...

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I feel tired just reading this thread... :lmao:

wesintl
04-07-2008, 11:58 AM
watched the daughter so the wife could grade papers :o

Tch2fly
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Nothing on my 80 but I did manage to get a 3" lift and 285s installed on my son's 4runner.

But now that it has been brought up I guess I better buckle down a few nights this week and next weekend and mod my storage unit to handle the new fridge.
Plus I'll need to put in my new rear springs (not here yet), rear calipers and SS brakeline.

Rezarf
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Yup, I knew it... the board was slow because working on rigs is getting busy! :D

I still have to finish up the trailer, should be painting this weekend. Get it insured and reassembled and titled and wired... uggh.

Then onto the 40, new juice in the diffs, tranny, and case.
New fuse block.
Tune up.
Install the CB and remount the antenna (maybe)
Install a new power outlet for the fridge.
Install fridge with something other than ratchet straps.
Replace front ubolts.
Add turbo charger and ejection seat.

:thumb:

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Note to self: Do NOT ride shotgun in Drew's 40.

leiniesred
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I tore out my upstairs bathroom and PREPPED the floor for tile. The tub is done. I cut my underlayment yesterday. I'll screw that down tonight. Tile on Wednesday? Drywall repair on Thursday? After that, Lin has to go shopping to pick out new stool, vanity, sink, spigot, mirror, anything else she wants...

My goal is to take 3 weekends to finish the bathroom, leaving 1 weekend to prep the truck. I guess I won't be doing anything major this year unless I REALLY bust it for 48 hours to get my steering ram installed.

AxleIke
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Bill, I'm working on a hand throttle, do you have pictures of yours?

RockRunner
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Yo may be slow but I am getting my butt kicked :eek: Wifes Bday was this last weekend so you know what I was doing ALL weekend long. Missed the WBP and did not get to work on the truck while it was nice out.

Now I am behind and foul wheather to boot.

Tanglefoot
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Bill, I'm working on a hand throttle, do you have pictures of yours?

Hey Ike. Here's mine.

The plastic sleeve at the engine end lets the main throttle slide right through it but then if you put some tension on the hand trottle, that screw/nut on the 2nd cable catches the sleeve and pulls the main cable. It works well--it just took a little while to get the right slack. I had it too tight at first and it'd spin up the engine every time I moved the shifter. With some extra slack, it works well.

OH, and we almost finished the laminate wood floor in the living/dining room. It never quite is as easy as it sounds in the instructions. :)

Eric

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
No pix. I elected to work the pedal rather than go to the TB. I built a bracket to mount on a flat plate which then attaches under the throttle pedal. The flat plate forms a platform for small square tubing, which extends to a small plate where the hand throttle cable mounts. The HT cable then is aimed right at the stock throttle cable and gas pedal arm.

I cut a notch in the pedal arm where the throttle cable attaches, so the cable holds the hand throttle cable in place, but the gas pedal arm works normally. The gas pedal arm just glides over the hand throttle cable. To install, slide the stock throttle cable off the arm, slide the HT cable into the hole and drop it in the new notch, then pop the stock throttle cable back into place. The HT cable cannot dislocate.

Very sano and it works great, installs simply too. Two slack adjustments (I used a Kawasaki KDX throttle cable bit that was just the right length) that I had laying around.

AxleIke
04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm looking to do it Bill's way, off of the pedal.

However, I'm not following the description, so I'll have to take a look at it sometime.

Tanglefoot
04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Ah cool :cheers:

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, you'll just have to meet me somewhere!
Think of a Times New Roman 'L' laying on its side. That's pretty close to the shape of the cable standoff. Rotate the L 90* clockwise in your head. The mount plate is sandwiched between the pedal base and the firewall. You don't even have to remove the third bolt on the gas pedal, so it stays in place while you install it.

You kinda have to find a cable that is more or less what you need, then build the standoff around that, and the space above the gas pedal.

RockRunner
04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Was able to re-weld my slider that I broke on the Trail leaders trip in Moab, cut the other one off and re-welded it too since it was a little loose. Bad job welding on my part last year. Removed the stock passenger fender and mounted a fiberglass version in place of it.

Tomorrow night I hope to get the other fender mounted and the radio antenna moved and maybe the CB. Still have lots of stuff to do before Moab and as usual I waited till the last minute.