Bikeman
04-07-2008, 12:53 PM
June '08 4 Wheel drive & Sport Utility, pg 10.:thumb:

Hulk
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Sweet!

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I saw a Green Chili (Taco) that was actually blue... online... article written by Harry Wagner ("Dirty Harry" on 4x4wire.com). That wasn't it, was it? I'll have to come by your shop and look at your mag.

thenimirra
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Nice job!

RockRunner
04-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Scan and show the rest of us..........

Uncle Ben
04-07-2008, 02:45 PM
There can be only one....and this is not it....

DaveInDenver
04-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh so close. If only The Red Chili was a pickup, with a Hannibal tent, a Marlin rear bumper and different sliders.

Bikeman
04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Oops, my apologies to Bill and the Red Chili. I forgot the 4runner part of it. The bumpers and beadlocks threw me off. Also, doesn't the Red Chili have 'glass fenders?

wesintl
04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
awesome.. All those 4 runners, I mean mini trucks, look the same :lmao:

Cruel thread I tell ya but a good one. ;)

Red_Chili
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
And more.
Overheard from a cruiser guy: "Oh those darn minitrucks, they all look alike to me..."
:lmao:
I did get all excited for a minit though... :hill:
[edit: great minds think alike. Or at least come up with the same corny jokes.]

Uncle Ben
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
"Look over there.....that's Mini Truck Rock!" - Ben
"Which "Rock" are you talking about?" - Will
"Doesn't matter....they all look the same....just pick one!" - Ben

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::eek::bolt:

:bowdown:http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Food/chilipepper.gif :bowdown: :bill:

corsair23
04-07-2008, 04:51 PM
June '08 4 Wheel drive & Sport Utility, pg 10.:thumb:

Dang, the magazines are getting as bad as the car manufacturers :eek: - It is barely April and they have their June edition out already :confused:

Bill, looks like someone is trying to copy you :thumb:

DaveInDenver
04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
awesome.. All those 4 runners, I mean mini trucks, look the same
I guess I could see how they might all look similar if all you see is the back bumper. :-)

wesintl
04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
You'll be excited...

Wait for it...

wait for it....

Does it matter though... The http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Food/chilipepper.gif is on the cover but I'm not saying of what :hill:

Congrats :bill:

bh4rnnr
04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Dang, the magazines are getting as bad as the car manufacturers :eek: - It is barely April and they have their June edition out already :confused:

Bill, looks like someone is trying to copy you :thumb:

Umm, hate to brake it to Bill but he was a few years after that build up.

And it was a good build, just like Bills, and i'm taking in all the eye candy I can!:cool::beer:

RockRunner
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I like that ride, not Bill's 4Runner but a good looking truck. Wouldn't mind the rack and rims............

Red_Chili
04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Umm, hate to brake it to Bill but he was a few years after that build up.

And it was a good build, just like Bills, and i'm taking in all the eye candy I can!:cool::beer:
Nuttin' to break to me.
I copied as many people as I could!!:hill:

Go with what works. Tweak it after that to make it work better. Pretty much my life story.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
You'll be excited...

Wait for it...

wait for it....

Does it matter though... The http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Food/chilipepper.gif is on the cover but I'm not saying of what :hill:

Congrats :bill:

Large as life fer sure!

Teaser pic......

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
That same un-named mag has two (maybe 3) other RS'ers pictured too! :cheers:

Red_Chili
04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
So... Trails? With what amounts to being an ad for 4x4wire? OK, fess up.

wesintl
04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
.... oh wait... what

Rzeppa
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
No matter what, Chili is a great looking rig. So UB, 'fess up!

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
.... oh wait...

Wes.....why didn't you let him cook longer? Can't believe you gave it up that easy!

wesintl
04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Wes.....why didn't you let him cook longer? Can't believe you gave it up that easy!

ok.. he's on the cover of mini trucks, I mean 4 runners, unlimited :confused:

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm lost. What magazine is he in? I'd like to check it out, so FESS UP!!!

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm lost. What magazine is he in? I'd like to check it out, so FESS UP!!!

"Better Cruisers and Lesser Runners" ;) :lmao::lmao:

RockRunner
04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Bill, UB is picking on us.............::blah::lmao:..guess it makes sense since we can build two trucks for the price of one build cruiser:rolleyes:, heck maybe even three.:D

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 11:31 AM
And we hold onto them longer it seems. :lmao:

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I figured that too.

Lets see, why would he be jealous???

Oh, right, RockRunner has it right. For the cost of just buying an 80, you can have a full blown rock crawler built out of a mini truck. For the cost of building an 80 on top of that, you can have a full blow rock crawler with the best parts on the market.

Oh, and then there's the fact that mini's look so much cooler too.

:D

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
And fit between trees better.

But if you make them too pretty you get nervous about that. :lmao:

subzali
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Hold on just a minute...minitrucks and runners are the offspring of Cruisers, and since when did grow up and become the man of the house?

Ungrateful...without the success of the FJ40 you wouldn't even BE here...:rant:

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
All I can say, Subzali, is, don't ever have kids... it will burst that bubble RIGHT quick.

BTW, you sound like your old man.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I figured that too.

Lets see, why would he be jealous???

Oh, right, RockRunner has it right. For the cost of just buying an 80, you can have a full blown rock crawler built out of a mini truck. For the cost of building an 80 on top of that, you can have a full blow rock crawler with the best parts on the market.

Oh, and then there's the fact that mini's look so much cooler too.

:D

Ya know you are right! It's like after meeting - meetings....I can choose the lesser price domestic tap beer and heck I could probably get two pitchers for what I pitch in for a couple mugs of Red or Alligator Ale! I don't see that happening! You get what you pay for! I never remember Toyota refering to any of the Mini Utes as Flagships....there can be only one!

I have to put a disclaimer on this even though it hurts. Anyone out there that thinks this argument is real and RS is divided relax....this is just a fun ongoing jabber between friends! Together we are strong!

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
And together we all drive old iron no longer being made... which is the REAL problem here. Toyota has left us and our preferred driving styles.

Now back to the slapfest... :lmao:

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
BTW, just what WAS that magazine with the RC?

wesintl
04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Who cares about all that stuff. We fit between the lines at starbucks and trees ain't a problem. Who need a rock crawler when you got a curb crawler :confused:

Ahh.. if I had photo chop skills. It's that 4 wheel and offroad free magazine... no one pays with mini trucks on the cover ;)

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Ya know you are right! It's like after meeting - meetings....I can choose the lesser price domestic tap beer and heck I could probably get two pitchers for what I pitch in for a couple mugs of Red or Alligator Ale! I don't see that happening! You get what you pay for! I never remember Toyota refering to any of the Mini Utes as Flagships....there can be only one!

That anaolgy would work if we were comparing an FJ-80 to a Ford Explorer.

But thats not it.

The 40's were flagships to be sure. But lets look at this from a big picture sort of veiw. First off, I was talking about 80's. 40's are a different story.

80's vs Mini's.

Stock, and 80 FAR outstrips the mini.

But when we talk dollars, you can have an 80 with a coil lift, 2 lockers, armor, and 35's.

For the same amount of money you can have a mini with an engine swap, custom axles, cromo guts, 2 lockers, CO's at all 4 corners, dual cases, armor, whatever tire size you want, and its narrower, lighter, and gets better mileage to and from the trails.

And Mini's look cooler. :lmao:

Evrgrnmtnman
04-09-2008, 01:59 PM
What type of tires and size are on the Chili? Do you like them?

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 02:10 PM
35x12.50/15 Goodyear MT/Rs, and yeah, I like them a lot. Could use 37s some days, but that just makes me more rollable. :eek:

It took two tries to get round MT/Rs though. They had some manufacturing glitches for a while there. The second set is round. They work great in all conditions, including icy snow which is unusual for MT style tires.

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
There you have it.

:Princess:

subzali
04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I specially dissent.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
That anaolgy would work if we were comparing an FJ-80 to a Ford Explorer.

You are pushing the line sir! :rant:

The 40's were flagships to be sure. But lets look at this from a big picture sort of veiw. First off, I was talking about 80's. 40's are a different story.

Wrong.....your pain meds are getting to ya my friend....

I quote...
"History of the Toyota Land Cruiser

From its humble beginnings in 1950 as a development project based on the design of the Willys Jeep, the Land Cruiser has taken its rightful place as Toyota's flagship four-wheel drive vehicle. All dates are Toyota model year, and not necessarily the year in which the model was released.

Development for the Model BJ prototype begins in Japan.

When the Land Cruiser (then named "Model BJ") was first tested in August 1951, it climbed to the sixth station of Mt. Fuji -- the first motor vehicle to perform this feat. The first orders for the vehicle were from police and forestry departments because of its off-road abilities.

The BJ was formally named Land Cruiser, and it officially entered mass-production, rather than being built on a made-to-order basis.

The original 85 horsepower diesel engine was replaced with a 125 horsepower F-series 3.8L gasoline unit.

The formal introduction of the Land Cruiser to the U.S. It was this year that the first hard-top version was introduced.

A pickup and wagon version of the Cruiser were introduced in Japan.
1961 - 1965

Land Cruiser is the best selling Toyota in the U.S.

The Land Cruiser moved toward the mainstream U.S. market with the introduction of the five-door station wagon, the F55. The wagon was hailed as a vehicle that was competent enough to drive through the back country, yet was comfortable and power enough to drive on any public street.

Mid year, the U.S. sales introduction of a hardtop version of the two-door.

100,000th Land Cruiser sold worldwide.

200,000th Land Cruiser sold worldwide.

300,000th Land Cruiser sold worldwide.

The 3.8L engine was replaced by a larger and more powerful 4.2L version, making the Land Cruiser easier to drive. For the home market (Japan), Land Cruiser has almost always been available with a diesel engine -- originally 3.2L, reintroduced a 3.0L in 1976, and updated to 3.2L again in 1979 -- but was never officially available in the U.S.

The 2nd generation station wagon is introduced as the FJ80 and the U.S. Land Cruiser earns the "4x4 of the Year" award by Off-Road magazine.

The 1,000,000th Land Cruiser is sold.

This was the last year of sales for the FJ40 (although production ended in 1979).

Minor updates to the wagon took place in this year.

Consumer's Digest names the Land Cruiser a "Best Buy", and the 2,000,000th Cruiser is sold.

The 3rd generation of the wagon, the FJ80, was a larger, more luxurious vehicle that sported full-time four-wheel-drive and a fully independent four-wheel coil-spring suspension. It was named one of Consumer Digest's "Best Buys" and the "Best Full-Size SUV in Customer Satisfaction" by J.D. Power & Associates.

"Best Full-Sized Sport Utility" in IQS and CSI, J.D. Power, and among "Best Buys" by Consumers Digest.

The Land Cruiser grows up a little more, now sporting a 24-valve, DOHC inline six-cylinder engine displacing 4.5L. The Cruiser produced 212 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque, and was more capable of pulling Land Cruiser's 5153 pounds of curb weight.

This model of Cruiser was a far cry from the 1953 model, sporting optional leather upholstery, available seating for eight, an available compact-disc player, manually, locking front and rear, and automatic locking center differentials, Land Cruiser was now a shadow of its former self. This Cruiser was again named "Best Full-Sized Sport Utility" in IQS, J.D. Power, and among "Best Buys" by Consumers Digest magazine.

Changes were minimal (changes have only been made when necessary). The only change was the addition of CFC-free air-conditioning. Among Consumers Digest "Best Buys".

In 1995, Land Cruiser took a large step toward additional passenger safety. With more and more consumers, using their "sport-utility" vehicles as passenger cars, and those consumers looking for vehicles that offer enhanced safety features, Toyota was ready. Along with a new grille featuring redesigned headlights, the 1995 Land Cruiser included as standard equipment, both driver and passenger side airbags and adjustable shoulder-belt anchors, and ABS. These additions did nothing to diminish Land Cruiser's off-the-road abilities, though, and it continues on as the most refined, most capable four-wheel-drive vehicle on the market.

"Best Full-Size SUV in Initial Quality" - J.D. Power

"Luxury SUV Best Buy" - Four Wheeler magazine. "Best Overall Truck: Resale Value After Three Years of Ownership" - ADP Autosource Survey. "1997 Top Three Vehicles in Initial Quality-Full-Sized Segment" -J.D. Power.

Toyota introduced the 5th generation Land Cruiser, the first all new Cruiser since 1991. The new Cruiser is larger, heavier, structurally more solid and substantially more powerful than its predecessor. Yet it delivers improved fuel efficiency, lower emissions and considerably quicker, more responsive acceleration. It also features the first V8 engine in a Toyota Division vehicle. The all new 4.7L 32 valve DOHC produces 230 horsepower, 18 more than its predecessor's inline six-cylinder, and 320 lbs.-ft. of torque, an improvement of 45 over the '97 model.

The recently redesigned Land Cruiser features an independent rear automatic climate control system for added convenience and passenger comfort. It receives the "Best Full-Size Sport Utility Vehicle Segment" award by J.D. Power.

Toyota again raised the benchmark in SUV performance and refinement by adding active traction control (Active TRAC), vehicle skid control equipment (VSC), and electronic brake force distribution (EBD) systems as standard equipment. The Cruiser also added a six-disc in-dash CD player as standard.

The legendary Land Cruiser has a few new additions. It features an available navigation system with DVD player, standard auto dimming rear view mirror, and integrated compass in the rear view mirror (on models without the navigation system), JBL three-in-one AM/FM/Cassette/CD six-disc in-dash changer with seven speakers with an available Electro Multi-Vision screen with center console six-disc CD player.
Notes

Land Cruiser: Land Cruiser is Toyota's flagship four-wheel drive vehicle. The name implies its go-anywhere ability.

The Land Cruiser is built at the Araco Corporation plant in Toyota City, Japan.

The above information is provided by Toyota Motor Company, Inc."

For the same amount of money you can have a mini with an engine swap, custom axles, cromo guts, 2 lockers, CO's at all 4 corners, dual cases, armor, whatever tire size you want, and its narrower, lighter, and gets better mileage to and from the trails.

But when your done trying to make the mini as capable as a Cruiser you still will only have a mini!

True....because Cruisers are HOT!

:p:

DaveInDenver
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm gonna break ranks with my Hilux brethren and admit that the Cruiser is Toyota's flagship model. Duh, big surprise. But that does not make it in my estimation the perfect vehicle. It's heavy, expensive, big, a gas hog and did I mention expensive? But the kicker is that at least here in the USA, it's pretty rare in pickup form and we all know that wagons are for weenies and soccer moms.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm gonna break ranks with my Hilux brethren and admit that the Cruiser is Toyota's flagship model. Duh, big surprise. But that does not make it in my estimation the perfect vehicle. It's heavy, expensive, big, a gas hog and did I mention expensive? But the kicker is that at least here in the USA, it's pretty rare in pickup form and we all know that wagons are for weenies and soccer moms.

All right...gotta give credit where credits due....

The cover shot is in.....

....ready for this?.....

...you sure?..............

Here ya go! :eek::Princess::hill:

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Wrong.....your pain meds are getting to ya my friend....

I quote...
"History of the Toyota Land Cruiser

From its humble beginnings in 1950 as a development project based on the design of the Willys Jeep, the Land Cruiser has taken its rightful place as Toyota's flagship four-wheel drive vehicle. All dates are Toyota model year, and not necessarily the year in which the model was released.

Development for the Model BJ prototype begins in Japan.

When the Land Cruiser (then named "Model BJ") was first tested in August 1951, it climbed to the sixth station of Mt. Fuji -- the first motor vehicle to perform this feat. The first orders for the vehicle were from police and forestry departments because of its off-road abilities.

The BJ was formally named Land Cruiser, and it officially entered mass-production, rather than being built on a made-to-order basis.

The original 85 horsepower diesel engine was replaced with a 125 horsepower F-series 3.8L gasoline unit.

The formal introduction of the Land Cruiser to the U.S. It was this year that the first hard-top version was introduced.

A pickup and wagon version of the Cruiser were introduced in Japan.
1961 - 1965

Land Cruiser is the best selling Toyota in the U.S.

The Land Cruiser moved toward the mainstream U.S. market with the introduction of the five-door station wagon, the F55. The wagon was hailed as a vehicle that was competent enough to drive through the back country, yet was comfortable and power enough to drive on any public street.

Mid year, the U.S. sales introduction of a hardtop version of the two-door.

100,000th Land Cruiser sold worldwide.

200,000th Land Cruiser sold worldwide.

300,000th Land Cruiser sold worldwide.

The 3.8L engine was replaced by a larger and more powerful 4.2L version, making the Land Cruiser easier to drive. For the home market (Japan), Land Cruiser has almost always been available with a diesel engine -- originally 3.2L, reintroduced a 3.0L in 1976, and updated to 3.2L again in 1979 -- but was never officially available in the U.S.

The 2nd generation station wagon is introduced as the FJ80 and the U.S. Land Cruiser earns the "4x4 of the Year" award by Off-Road magazine.

The 1,000,000th Land Cruiser is sold.

This was the last year of sales for the FJ40 (although production ended in 1979).

Minor updates to the wagon took place in this year.

Consumer's Digest names the Land Cruiser a "Best Buy", and the 2,000,000th Cruiser is sold.

The 3rd generation of the wagon, the FJ80, was a larger, more luxurious vehicle that sported full-time four-wheel-drive and a fully independent four-wheel coil-spring suspension. It was named one of Consumer Digest's "Best Buys" and the "Best Full-Size SUV in Customer Satisfaction" by J.D. Power & Associates.

"Best Full-Sized Sport Utility" in IQS and CSI, J.D. Power, and among "Best Buys" by Consumers Digest.

The Land Cruiser grows up a little more, now sporting a 24-valve, DOHC inline six-cylinder engine displacing 4.5L. The Cruiser produced 212 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque, and was more capable of pulling Land Cruiser's 5153 pounds of curb weight.

This model of Cruiser was a far cry from the 1953 model, sporting optional leather upholstery, available seating for eight, an available compact-disc player, manually, locking front and rear, and automatic locking center differentials, Land Cruiser was now a shadow of its former self. This Cruiser was again named "Best Full-Sized Sport Utility" in IQS, J.D. Power, and among "Best Buys" by Consumers Digest magazine.

Changes were minimal (changes have only been made when necessary). The only change was the addition of CFC-free air-conditioning. Among Consumers Digest "Best Buys".

In 1995, Land Cruiser took a large step toward additional passenger safety. With more and more consumers, using their "sport-utility" vehicles as passenger cars, and those consumers looking for vehicles that offer enhanced safety features, Toyota was ready. Along with a new grille featuring redesigned headlights, the 1995 Land Cruiser included as standard equipment, both driver and passenger side airbags and adjustable shoulder-belt anchors, and ABS. These additions did nothing to diminish Land Cruiser's off-the-road abilities, though, and it continues on as the most refined, most capable four-wheel-drive vehicle on the market.

"Best Full-Size SUV in Initial Quality" - J.D. Power

"Luxury SUV Best Buy" - Four Wheeler magazine. "Best Overall Truck: Resale Value After Three Years of Ownership" - ADP Autosource Survey. "1997 Top Three Vehicles in Initial Quality-Full-Sized Segment" -J.D. Power.

Toyota introduced the 5th generation Land Cruiser, the first all new Cruiser since 1991. The new Cruiser is larger, heavier, structurally more solid and substantially more powerful than its predecessor. Yet it delivers improved fuel efficiency, lower emissions and considerably quicker, more responsive acceleration. It also features the first V8 engine in a Toyota Division vehicle. The all new 4.7L 32 valve DOHC produces 230 horsepower, 18 more than its predecessor's inline six-cylinder, and 320 lbs.-ft. of torque, an improvement of 45 over the '97 model.

The recently redesigned Land Cruiser features an independent rear automatic climate control system for added convenience and passenger comfort. It receives the "Best Full-Size Sport Utility Vehicle Segment" award by J.D. Power.

Toyota again raised the benchmark in SUV performance and refinement by adding active traction control (Active TRAC), vehicle skid control equipment (VSC), and electronic brake force distribution (EBD) systems as standard equipment. The Cruiser also added a six-disc in-dash CD player as standard.

The legendary Land Cruiser has a few new additions. It features an available navigation system with DVD player, standard auto dimming rear view mirror, and integrated compass in the rear view mirror (on models without the navigation system), JBL three-in-one AM/FM/Cassette/CD six-disc in-dash changer with seven speakers with an available Electro Multi-Vision screen with center console six-disc CD player.
Notes

Land Cruiser: Land Cruiser is Toyota's flagship four-wheel drive vehicle. The name implies its go-anywhere ability.

The Land Cruiser is built at the Araco Corporation plant in Toyota City, Japan.

The above information is provided by Toyota Motor Company, Inc."

But when your done trying to make the mini as capable as a Cruiser you still will only have a mini!

True....because Cruisers are HOT!

No pain meds here.

Mini's are hotter by far.

You would have to spend considerably less to make a mini as capable as a cruiser. Spend as much on the mini as you did on the cruiser and you have a much more capable truck.

And it doesn't weigh 4billion tons and drink gas like its going out of style.

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
All right...gotta give credit where credits due....

The cover shot is in.....

....ready for this?.....

...you sure?..............

Here ya go! :eek::Princess::hill:

OH MAN is that LAME.

Only you would subscribe to that magazine UB!!! :hill::D

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
OH MAN is that LAME.

Only you would subscribe to that magazine UB!!! :hill::D

I buy it for the articles! ;) :lmao:

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Good one!

nuclearlemon
04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
:

and you'll look just like every other truck out there....hence this thread:D

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
No pain meds here.

Mini's are hotter by far.

And Mini's look cooler.

Hmmm....I'm guessing you have a denial issue on the meds or it's early onset Alzheimer's!

And it doesn't weigh 4billion tons and drink gas like its going out of style.

FACT IS IT HAS STYLE! What it drinks is irrelavant. And are you saying this Cruiser makes my butt look too big? :rant: :hill:

subzali
04-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Sorry Isaac, minis are just...well...mini. Kinda like meh. But mini. Sure they're narrow, nimble good for gettin' up to the trailheads and all, but at the end of the day they just don't turn the ol' head the same way as a Cruiser does. Even a stock Cruiser. Even a stock 80.

That doesn't go for Bill's RC because you can't BUT turn (albeit in the opposite direction) to avoid the glare coming off his shiny new paint job and rims! I'll have to admit the RC did snap my head around the other night pulling onto the highway going to the meeting, but man that's a special circumstance...

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
When Matt had it floored in third, and I rolled on the trottle in 5th, and left him...

(OK, OK, and UB would do the same to me in spades.... :lmao:)

How about this as a common ground?
Rising Sun is a Toyota 4WD club, and as long as it says Toyota on the grille, it's all good... Hmmm? One is simply not 'better' than the other, except in the eyes of the beholder.

Can't account for myopia...:bolt:

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
When Matt had it floored in third, and I rolled on the trottle in 5th, and left him...

(OK, OK, and UB would do the same to me in spades.... :lmao:)

How about this as a common ground?
Rising Sun is a Toyota 4WD club, and as long as it says Toyota on the grille, it's all good... Hmmm? One is simply not 'better' than the other, except in the eyes of the beholder.

Can't account for myopia...:bolt:

Tru dat but....http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Signs/foiler01.gif

Party pooper! :( ;) :bowdown:http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Food/chilipepper.gif :bowdown::zilla: :bowdown::robbie:

wesintl
04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
as long as it says Toyota on the grille, it's all good...

Key words, toyota on the grill. Anything with a sombrero T is just not for me. :hill:

I do turn my head when I see a nice stock round headlight mini...

RockRunner
04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I love the 80's and not the years:D I would own one if I had to wheel my DD. The 4Runner, 80's was the best option for a open top truck with room for 4 and gear. A 40 would have been great to but little smaller and uncomfortable for the long drive.

Now as for $$$ it is all relative. I spend more on the 4Runner because I can so I get to buy more toys for it. If I had an 80 I would not have been able to build it like my 4Runner. If you are lucky enough to buy an 80 with lockers you are worlds ahead and sometimes those can be found for a fair price. A lift to run 37's on an 80 cost nearly as much as a 4Runner.

The comfort that is the envy of most 4wheelers is undeniable but then I remember that the 2gen 4runners were the comfort envy during the 2nd CM.

We wheel what we can afford to buy and repair. Maybe in the future when the soft top option is not that important to me any more you will see me in an 80.:thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I really hate to see this thread get serious but oh well. :rolleyes: As long as I have been into 40's I've been into mini's. Personally I have never owned one but have had many opportunities and just never pulled the trigger. Being a big person the mini just has never been a comfortable fit. The biggest downside to a mini is the ride, in my opinion. The same traits that make it so incredible off road make it a rough riding SOB on washboard or rough dirt roads. After getting my first wagon, the ride in a 40 is quite unpleasant too! I do miss my 40 and I plan on going full out on completing it's next morph this fall! Nothing like a bobtail on the rocks! I like Runners a lot but I have absolutely no use for another wagon right now. Once the 40 is back in action (it WILL be on the next 1/1 St. Fuaw run by damn!) I plan on finally building my completely molested xcab 45 tow beast!

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
... I plan on finally building my completely molested xcab 45 tow beast!
THAT will be a wonderful thing.
I confess Wagonner's 45 on an 80 frame has GOT to be my ideal. I would drive that across country just like my 4Runner.

Wouldn't be as practical as the Chili, but it would indeed ride wonderfully. And be cooler than any 80 out there. IMHO of course.

wesintl
04-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I really hate to see this thread get serious but oh well. :rolleyes:

dang it, who got serious on us:dunno:

:rolleyes::eek::lmao:

:cheers:

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 07:38 PM
ARG.

Well, I'll stand with the truce.

I actually really like the look of a lifted 80. They look sweet.

To be honest, if someone would have brought the 55 in, I would have been done for. The FJ-55 has a warm spot in my heart. After all, I was brought home from the hospital in one when I was 3 days old. Took my first wheeling trip in one at 6 weeks. Cut my head open at 2 REALLY badly by the tailgate. I have a lot of VERY fond 55 memories.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Arrrrg is right! I can't stand it..... This should work....

BTW Tom....the pic of you on that Mag cover is taken from the real mag that Chili is in! hahahahahahaha :p:

Hulk
04-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Key words, toyota on the grill. Anything with a sombrero T is just not for me. :hill:

So this kind of thing is your bag, baby?

wesintl
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
you bet, The arrow is a bit heinous but I love mini trucks. :hill:

Rezarf
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I plan on finally building my completely molested xcab 45 tow beast!

Kevin-

I call first in line if you sell the 80! :bowdown::thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Kevin-

I call first in line if you sell the 80! :bowdown::thumb:

Thank you....but dude.....I don't ever get rid of anything! :rolleyes: ;)

Wes, you don't need the "Toyota" on the grill as long as it's "Toyota" behind the grill! ;) :thumb:

RockRunner
04-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I could see a pic like that in TT or maybe the Toyota Owners mag not much else.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Sorry Isaac, minis are just...well...mini. Kinda like meh. But mini. Sure they're narrow, nimble good for gettin' up to the trailheads and all, but at the end of the day they just don't turn the ol' head the same way as a Cruiser does. Even a stock Cruiser. Even a stock 80.

That doesn't go for Bill's RC because you can't BUT turn (albeit in the opposite direction) to avoid the glare coming off his shiny new paint job and rims! I'll have to admit the RC did snap my head around the other night pulling onto the highway going to the meeting, but man that's a special circumstance...

The reason they are turning the ol' head is because they are passing by them!
Just funning, I like the cruiser's, especially the 40's....

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 07:28 AM
I could see a pic like that in TT or maybe the Toyota Owners mag not much else.

Bzzzzzzz...sorry!

This is to much fun!

Here are all the teaser pics from this mag except the Chili on the front cover....

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
two + more.....

treerootCO
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Key words, toyota on the grill. Anything with a sombrero T is just not for me.

What really does it for me is a giant lightning bolt down the side of my truck.

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
What really does it for me is a giant lightning bolt down the side of my truck.

Hey! I can set you up with your dream truck!

treerootCO
04-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey! I can set you up with your dream truck!

you ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM

Come awn up! We can see if Lightning really can jump horizontally! :thumb::thumb::lmao:

subzali
04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Okay, I guess funnin's over, 'cept fo' the mystery mag...

We bought a '97 Taco back when I was in high school - that thing has been one of the most impressive vehicles I have ever driven - stock, no lockers, extended cab with a topper that thing is rediculous stable in the snow, We've shoved 4 people in it with backpacking gear to do a shuttle for a trail in the Uncompahgre area, took it over Engineer Pass, then a year ago my friend and I took a trip for Spring Break out to San Francisco via Moab, the thing is comfy on the road, it's fast (4cyl even can cruise at 75+), it can do some mild 4-wheeling to get back to a secluded campsite, it sips the fuel, only had to fill up about 4 times to get from San Fransisco to here, and that's about 20 hours of driving. Love the thing, but it's just not a Land Cruiser. The only drawback of a Land Cruiser, to me, is the fuel consumption of the US-spec trucks. But consider the diesels of the non-US markets and that argument goes away pretty fast, so that's where I'm putting my bucks :D

Tch2fly
04-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nobody else has seen it yet :lmao::lmao:

There are a couple more RS folks inside the mag as well ... oh yeah and a well written story :thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Dang Nitrous.....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=8623&stc=1&d=1207835345

RockRunner
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Nice job Mike, but did UB spill his 1/2 caf no cafe, low foam, lemon twist, 1/4 shot butterscotch, 1/4 Banana, 1/4 shot vanilla, 1/4 shot caramel triple Venti latte???? Or does he have an air suspension???:lmao::lmao:

RockRunner
04-10-2008, 08:38 AM
OK, how widely is this mag distributed? Is it 4Wheeler's mag?

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Go fish! ;)

Tch2fly
04-10-2008, 09:00 AM

Mine came in the mail ... but I didn't "subscribe" ;)

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Ige know's but obviously she's not saying!

Red_Chili
04-10-2008, 09:12 AM
High Trails?

or is that High Times? :lmao:

corsair23
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
RS Rally Flyer? Nah...too early for that

How about a RS Sun Club news letter? Honestly, I have no idea but I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread :thumb:

RockRunner
04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Four wheel parts??? They send out a free mag?

Convert
04-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Ige know's but obviously she's not saying!

I know but I'm not telling either :D

Convert
04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Just noticed 2 other red 80's in that publication. Elmer your truck looks great!!

RockRunner
04-10-2008, 10:33 PM
The 1st ever CM Magazine commemorative gift to all attendees............yeah that's it a CM mag for all to drool over.

Uncle Ben
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Just noticed 2 other red 80's in that publication. Elmer your truck looks great!!

I missed a red one? I posted the picture earlier and Elmer was one of them.....hmmm guess I better read through it again! What a great article! :lmao: :p:

Convert
04-11-2008, 07:57 AM
I missed a red one? I posted the picture earlier and Elmer was one of them.....hmmm guess I better read through it again! What a great article! :lmao: :p:

Look a couple of trucks behind Elmer :thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Look a couple of trucks behind Elmer :thumb:

Good eyes! I can't believe this tease has gone on this long! Everyone in RS should have received this magazine by now! (Huge Hint)

subzali
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
My subscription to High Trails or the COHVCO newsletter has never started...

Red_Chili
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
BTW Ige, I did not use my winch at the first obstacle. I saved that for dragging the diff plug out of my rear diff... :lmao:

Great article. Nice pix o' me truck.

Uncle Ben
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
BTW Ige, I did not use my winch at the first obstacle. I saved that for dragging the diff plug out of my rear diff... :lmao:

Absolutely! Ige, yous riting skiz r amazin! Bill, The pics did do Chili justice! Sweet! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown:http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Food/chilipepper.gif :bowdown::Princess:

Matt,
If your not getting High Times...oops I mean High Trails then someone needs to update the paid member list to COHVCO!

CONGRADULATIONS Bill and kudos to IGE!

nuclearlemon
04-11-2008, 10:31 AM

your memories failing you old man:lmao:

Red_Chili
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Well... so it is, old woman! :lmao:

RockRunner
04-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Are we supposed to get this mag through our membership or do we have to sign up a different way? I never got one.

Uncle Ben
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Are we supposed to get this mag through our membership or do we have to sign up a different way? I never got one.

As a member of Rising Sun you are a member of Co4WDCI! If your not getting the state newsletter then either your RS membership hasn't been given to the state or the state hasn't done their job.

corsair23
04-11-2008, 01:33 PM

x2...The only High Trails mags I've gotten are ones Ige has given me when helping out on the raffle rig...Been nearly a year since I joined so something seems "broke" :confused:

nuclearlemon
04-11-2008, 04:31 PM
if you joined rising sun after we paid our dues and turned in our roster last year you probably didn't make it onto their roster.

RockRunner
04-12-2008, 12:06 AM
What about this year? I am on the roster and paid up etc. Where can we find a copy of this?

Rzeppa
04-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Nobody else has seen it yet :lmao::lmao:

There are a couple more RS folks inside the mag as well ... oh yeah and a well written story :thumb:

I just got mine yesterday. Excellent articles by Ige, and great photos too. Very nice! I read mine more thoroughly than most :-)

Hulk
04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

x2...The only High Trails mags I've gotten are ones Ige has given me when helping out on the raffle rig...Been nearly a year since I joined so something seems "broke" :confused:

What about this year? I am on the roster and paid up etc. Where can we find a copy of this?

Here's the deal. Once a year, we send a check and a roster to the Colorado Assoc. of 4WD Clubs (http://hightrails.org/) (NOT COHVCO). We usually send it around this time of year.

If you joined last summer, you've been a member of RS for nearly a year, yet you missed the cutoff for the Col. Assoc. roster submission.

This is my responsibility, and I will likely do it after Cruise Moab.

I think I was a member of the club for 2 years before I received a copy of High Trails. The good news is that once you're on the list, you're on the list.

corsair23
04-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks for info Matt...

Any extra copies of the recent High Trails mag floating around that those of us not yet in the "loop" might be able to get a copy of? Sounds like it is an issue not to be missed :D