PDA

View Full Version : Can I borrow a compressor for paint this weekend

Rezarf
04-08-2008, 09:31 AM
My trailer is ready for spraying this weekend and low and behold, we are going to have nearly 70* weather. I have a bunch of the equipment, but does anyone have a portable compressor that I can use to paint this little thing with? Just name your favorite :beer: or rental agreement:eek:

I don't need lots of volume as I will be using a HVLP gun setup. Matt what size did you use?

If any of you northsiders have something you would be willing to loan out, I would be super grateful:bowdown::bowdown: I was going to rattle can it, because of how little i am spraying but I can't add any hardener to the mix so I am back to spraying it for real.

Thanks!

Drew

waggoner5
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I have one, but I am about 4 miles West of Golden off of I70.
G

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
My trailer is ready for spraying this weekend and low and behold, we are going to have nearly 70* weather. I have a bunch of the equipment, but does anyone have a portable compressor that I can use to paint this little thing with? Just name your favorite :beer: or rental agreement:eek:

I don't need lots of volume as I will be using a HVLP gun setup. Matt what size did you use?

If any of you northsiders have something you would be willing to loan out, I would be super grateful:bowdown::bowdown: I was going to rattle can it, because of how little i am spraying but I can't add any hardener to the mix so I am back to spraying it for real.

Thanks!

Drew

Got ya cover Drew! When ya want it?

treerootCO
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I can dig up the five filter/water separators I used when I painted the 40. Moisture is evil.

When you buy paint, make sure to grab one or two of the water filters that fit directly in the end of your gun.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1847&itemType=PRODUCT

Hulk
04-08-2008, 10:55 AM

An older version of this compressor (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916762000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators).
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00916762000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
An older version of this compressor (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916762000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators).
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00916762000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Funny as thats nearly the same one I have for Drew to use. I used mine here at the house but never really liked it because it so noisy. It dropped a reed valve in the head so I ordered parts and bought a new compressor for here at the same time. They are good compressors for what they are but the noise makes them a little too annoying for my taste. Drew, if you use it and like it I'll make you a smokin' deal on it. I never put the wheels on it.....not sure iif they are still around but I'll look.

Rezarf
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Kevin-

I will call later, I can come by anytime today as I am doing administrative work from home all day.

Root, any other tips?

Thanks!

Drew

treerootCO
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Wear eye protection. That may sound strange but the first time you paint your eyelids shut, you'll wish you had thought of that. 2nd tip....everything will become the color of your trailer. Tape off anything you don't want painted no matter how far away it is from the panel you are painting.

Red_Chili
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Another thought...
Hammerite looks great even rolled on, if you don't slobber it on like I sometimes do. Three coats with a roller and foam brush for tight places. Pretty darn easy, and pretty darn durable. Not a mirror finish though. I like the finish.

Etch the surface with CLR. POR's Metal Prep is good too, but more expensive. The POR stuff etches the metal so the paint has 'tooth', and leaves a zinc phosphate coating. CLR uses phosphoric acid to do similarly. Then wash it off with water. When it is dry, paint.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Wear eye protection. That may sound strange but the first time you paint your eyelids shut, you'll wish you had thought of that. 2nd tip....everything will become the color of your trailer. Tape off anything you don't want painted no matter how far away it is from the panel you are painting.

:lmao:

Werd(s)! :thumb:

When (not if) a bug or other foreign object gets stuck to the wet paint....leave it alone! It's so much easier to pick it off and buff later than repair a nick or fingerprint! Same with a run....leave it alone till later!

4RunrFTW
04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll 3rd the eye protection comment. I would actually go one further and use a full-face respirator. If you're using true automotive paints, the amount of chemicals they use to keep the paint in suspension is enough to give instant headaches and migraines not long after. You'll need the respirator either way, I ended up investing in a full-face model with tear-offs. Also, the overspray will get all over everything in your garage. It actually dries in mid-air for the most part, so you just end up with a dusty film all over everything in your garage. I made a makeshift booth in my garage using visquine, basically sectioned off half of the garage. I would also tape a large piece of butcher paper to the garage wall, use it to set your pattern and air mix, then shoot the trailer. What paint are you planning on using?