PDA

View Full Version : Trail assignments - what are yours?

MDH33
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
So what will you be running at Cruise Moab?

Mine:

Thursday: Gold Bar Rim

Friday: Poison Spider Mesa

Saturday: Wipe Out Hill

:thumb:

timmbuck2
04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
As of right now:

Thurs Steel Bender
Fri Metal Masher
Sat Fins & Things

Red_Chili
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Thurs Fri Sat
Fins and Things (lead) Cliff Hanger (lead) Wipe-Out Hill

So who else is on Fins Thursday, and Cliff Hanger Friday? Just in case I have to deal with any riff-raff.... bwahaha...:rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Thurs Fri Sat
Fins and Things (lead) Cliff Hanger (lead) Wipe-Out Hill

So who else is on Fins Thursday, and Cliff Hanger Friday? Just in case I have to deal with any riff-raff.... bwahaha...:rolleyes:

Sorry Bill....I'm not going to CM this year.....you'll have to find someone else to pull you through!:eek: :lmao::lmao: ;) http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Embarrassed/hide.gif :bolt:

Red_Chili
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Wiggling worm... something shiny... not moving right to be a worm... gonna pass.

nakman
04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Cool, when did you get your trail assignments? Still waiting for mine.. :)

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Wiggling worm... something shiny... not moving right to be a worm... gonna pass.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: http://planetsmilies.net/kaos-animal-fish-smiley-6066.gif

Rock Dog
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Nakman, we had an issue getting your friday run should be going out this evening. But you have E-hill Thurs, and Leading Wipe out Sat....

subzali
04-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Wed-Thurs: Overnight Run
Friday: Porcupine Rim (Lead)
Saturday: Elephant Hill

Gonna be a blast! :thumb:

nakman
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Cool, thanks Neil! My son is excited about E-Hill.. there are real elephants down there, right?

corsair23
04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Thurs: Poison Spider Mesa
Fri: Hells Revenge
Sat: Metal Masher

Two new ones for me so hoping I didn't pick something over my head :eek:

EDIT: Is it possible to have trail availability posted up for the inevitable switching that goes on? Maybe an Excel spreadsheet that is updated as needed and posted? I was thinking of switching to E-Hill still on one of the days...

Romer
04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
So who else is on . . . . . Cliff Hanger Friday? Just in case I have to deal with any riff-raff.... bwahaha...:rolleyes:

Rachel and I will be there. Just call me rif and her raff

Inukshuk
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Sorry Bill....I'm not going to CM this year.....you'll have to find someone else to pull you through!:eek: :lmao::lmao: ;) http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Embarrassed/hide.gif :bolt:

That will be me. I'll bring a scrub brush to take the fresh red paint off the rocks on Cliffhanger..... as your trusty tailgunner. :thumb:

RockRunner
04-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Looks like I am working ;-)

Trail Assignments
Thurs Fri Sat

Hells Revenge(Gun) Behind the Rocks(Gun) Pritchett Canyon

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
That will be me. I'll bring a scrub brush to take the fresh red paint off the rocks on Cliffhanger..... as your trusty tailgunner. :thumb:
Sweet!

Red_Chili
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Rachel and I will be there. Just call me rif and her raff
Tell her there is a nifty Tilt-O-Whirl ride on the trail.

Squishy has commented that it tickles his giblets when he rides it.

Bring spare cee-gars and you can play any riff you want. I can be bought.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
04-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Thurs Wipe-Out Hill
Fri Hells Revenge
Sat Elephant Hill

Should be a great weekend!!! :thumb:

Shark Bait
04-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Here's mine:
Trail Assignments
Thurs Fri Sat

Golden Spike(Lead) Off Elephant Hill(Gun) :p:

ScaldedDog
04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Thursday - Pritchett
Friday - BTR
Saturday - Moab Rim

Mark

Jacket
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Th-Gold Bar Rim
Fr - Poison Spider Mesa
Sat - Moab Rim

rock_wagon
04-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Fins and Things
Kane Creek
Poison Spider

rover67
04-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Fins and Things
Kane Creek
and Elephant Hill on sat.

But I got the Dawg... so i dunno about Elephant hill... says no dogs allowed. It sucks especially since i really wanted to do it. I think i am going to have to ask to have it changed.

and being a wuss I am worried about all those 3+ trails. Marco dunno how to drive rocks...

corsair23
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Fins and Things
Kane Creek
and Elephant Hill on sat.

But I got the Dawg... so i dunno about Elephant hill... says no dogs allowed. It sucks especially since i really wanted to do it. I think i am going to have to ask to have it changed.

and being a wuss I am worried about all those 3+ trails. Marco dunno how to drive rocks...

Hmmm...Think Mead would like to rid in the LX on Metal Masher on Saturday :hill:...

Seriously though, if I had the room for her (I'm pretty sure she is a she right?) I'd love to take her off your hands for the day. The girls would LOVE it. But, I don't think she'd be comfy in the back with all the junk I'll have back there and no way she'd fit in the middle row with the girls :rolleyes:. Maybe we could trade, you take my :Princess:'s and I'll take Mead :D

rover67
04-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Ha! yeah that'd be great! too bad we can't fold her up and stick her in a middle seat!

:) I can see it now... Mead in between the two girls with her seat belt on..

subzali
04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Marco, you'll be fine on those trails. I did Kane Creek last fall with 31s and a rear locker, all you have to do in rocks is take your turns wide to keep your sheetmetal off of the ones that are poking out at you. Nice smooth throttle to get you up stuff, and with your rear locker and 35s you're going to walk a lot of stuff. Fins is easy as it doesn't twist and turn through narrow stuff like Kane Creek, and by the time you (hopefully) run E-Hill you'll be an expert! :thumb: But yeah no dogs in Canyonlands NP, so no dogs on E-Hill :(.

I'd take your dog but I'm also running E-Hill on Saturday.

corsair23
04-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Marco,

If you decide to switch out of Ehill on Saturday let me know. If you are interested in running Metal Masher (or something else available) I might like to see if I can have your spot on Ehill. This is probably the last year the :Princess:'s are going to be able to attend CM due to school conflicts going forward and I hear this is a great trail for them to go on :thumb:

rover67
04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
cool, i'll let ya know. i haven't thought about it too much yet, but honestly, it will probably be the best descision.

PabloCruise
04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Trail Assignments

Thurs Fri Sat

Wipe Out Hill (gun) Porcipine Rim(gun) Chicken Corners

I am jonesing for Moab bad!!!

A question for you all who were just out there:

I will be wheeling Pig this year, no lift, on 31's. The body is very nice as Pigs go, and I want to keep rockers and quarters intact.

Are Wipe Out Hill and Porcopine Rim wise choices for this rig? Does Wipe Out have a bypass for the actual obstacle?

MDH33
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Trail Assignments

Thurs Fri Sat

Wipe Out Hill (gun) Porcipine Rim(gun) Chicken Corners

A question for you all who were just out there:

I will be wheeling Pig this year, no lift, on 31's. The body is very nice as Pigs go, and I want to keep rockers and quarters intact.

Are Wipe Out Hill and Porcopine Rim wise choices for this rig? Does Wipe Out have a bypass for the actual obstacle?

I haven't run Porcupine rim, but Wipeout Hill will be no problem for a stock pig. If you take the direct, steep line down wipeout hill you will have no chance of damage. All the wagons on our run last year ran it down and up no problem.

wesintl
04-17-2008, 09:32 PM

I hear that:bowdown:

corsair23
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM

You might PM Kipper to get his take but there is one section on Porcupine Rim, just before the overlook area as you are going in, that you'll want to be careful on. You get to go down it and then back up it. I posted up some pictures here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3734) and some video here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3864). A couple other spots IIRC as well. Nothing terrible mind you, but as I recall Kipper did in fact hit his rocker leading us last year :eek:.

IIRC Porcupine was the only trail I ran (Fins and Poison Spider were the other two) that I hit my sliders on anything last year.

Vitesse_6
04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
FWIW, I am helping in some way on the overnighter.
So I guess I will see at least one of you, I know of a few others on Mud and WC.
I have no other plans for CM, I dont even have a place to stay after the overnighter, So I will most likely head home, This will most likely make my wife happy :)

MDH33
04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I hear that:bowdown:

Me three.

What are you running this year Wes?

wesintl
04-17-2008, 11:58 PM
dunno yet. We'll see when I get there I might only be wheeling sat. maybe do some hiking in arches and sightseeing there. I might get out there thus.. we'll see but definitely by fri. I gotta call and see if there are any tent sites left or i'll be pulling a subzali.

subzali
04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
:hill:

Oh great, so Martin hit his sliders standing on 34s on Porcupine? Hopefully that was because you knew you had sliders and weren't afraid to use them, and there will be room for a wagon (and my 40) running on 31s to go over the ledges no problem. Guess I'll find out Sunday or Monday.

Doc
04-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Golden Spike, Kane creek, and moab rim here.

PabloCruise
04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
You might PM Kipper to get his take but there is one section on Porcupine Rim, just before the overlook area as you are going in, that you'll want to be careful on. You get to go down it and then back up it. I posted up some pictures here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3734) and some video here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3864). A couple other spots IIRC as well. Nothing terrible mind you, but as I recall Kipper did in fact hit his rocker leading us last year :eek:.

IIRC Porcupine was the only trail I ran (Fins and Poison Spider were the other two) that I hit my sliders on anything last year.

Kipper, you got your ears on - c'mon good buddy!

PabloCruise
04-20-2008, 10:16 PM

Oh great, so Martin hit his sliders standing on 34s on Porcupine? Hopefully that was because you knew you had sliders and weren't afraid to use them, and there will be room for a wagon (and my 40) running on 31s to go over the ledges no problem. Guess I'll find out Sunday or Monday.

We will have to keep in touch on this... I'm hoping to hear back from Kipper. I think his 60 was on 31's last year.

Also: Is Wipe Out Hill part of another trail? I was trying to look it up in the Wells book and it is not listed as a stand alone trail...

MDH33
04-20-2008, 10:20 PM
We will have to keep in touch on this... I'm hoping to hear back from Kipper. I think his 60 was on 31's last year.

Also: Is Wipe Out Hill part of another trail? I was trying to look it up in the Wells book and it is not listed as a stand alone trail...

I was mis-identified as having run porcupine, so no help there.

I believe Wipeout Hill is also the end of Seven Mile Rim.

subzali
04-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Yep, page 60 trail 7.

Kipper
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
yes, i wacked the driver rocker on the 60 going down the waterfall on porc rim. i took the most difficult line I could and was being anything but careful. on the way down, the line all the way to the LEFT you will have no problems at all in a stock cruiser, that's where the blue FJ is in the pic on corsair23's thread, just take your time, be careful and have fun (remember you did this trail in your stock 40 on 31's in '03?). the line to the right has 3 or 4 large steps and is the only part of the trail that 80 series guys will have any fun on. :thumb:

here are my trails this year:

thurs: getting in late, no trail
fri: poison spider
sat: leading porcupine rim

Kipper
04-21-2008, 10:08 AM
one last thing TJ - i'd like to say publicly - a few well placed rocks in a few of the deep holes will go along way on that section of trail. I don't care what anyone says about stacking rocks, as you know, pigs are an endangered species and need to be protected and preserved, if you want a few rocks for insurance, by all means toss 'em in the hole and when you're done, put 'em back where you found them.

Hulk
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
My trails:

Steel Bender(gun)
Kane Creek(gun)
Wipe Out Hill (gun)

I requested new trails this year. I led Fins on Thursday and Elephant Hill on Saturday 5 years in a row.

PabloCruise
04-21-2008, 02:43 PM
here are my trails this year:

thurs: getting in late, no trail
fri: poison spider
sat: leading porcupine rim

So you got the 40 running? I'm glad that you are going to wheel this year!!!

Yep, I remember doing Porcupine in '03, that's what got me thinking about the longer wheelbase Pig...

Thanks for writing in!

corsair23
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
So you got the 40 running? I'm glad that you are going to wheel this year!!!

Yep, I remember doing Porcupine in '03, that's what got me thinking about the longer wheelbase Pig...

Thanks for writing in!

TJ,

Did you watch the video I linked to? IIRC it pretty much has shots of all of the "difficult" spots. Thinking back on it I hit my rear bumper and tailpipe more than anything else due to the overhang. I believe in the video you can hear me hitting something which was the Cat guard on my sliders. For reference I'm on 285s with the OME 2.5" lift.

:cheers:

Kipper
04-22-2008, 10:24 AM
So you got the 40 running?

No, I wish. I'm really torn right now. I'm driving my new daily driver out, it's an '04 4runner that is not meant for trail duty (although i did put a 2" lift on it), that is what the 40 is for. At this point, i think i'm going to wheel it and be really really really careful. Maybe I'll leave it at the Porcupine Rim trailhead and lead from someone else's truck... wanna run it saturday instead? :hill:

Red_Chili
04-22-2008, 10:41 AM
You need Chilisliders on that 4Runner, like I put on my wife's '97. Worked great, less filling.

PabloCruise
04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
TJ,

Did you watch the video I linked to? IIRC it pretty much has shots of all of the "difficult" spots. Thinking back on it I hit my rear bumper and tailpipe more than anything else due to the overhang. I believe in the video you can hear me hitting something which was the Cat guard on my sliders. For reference I'm on 285s with the OME 2.5" lift.

:cheers:

Thanks for linking that Jeff, I need to get in and watch that...

PabloCruise
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
No, I wish. I'm really torn right now. I'm driving my new daily driver out, it's an '04 4runner that is not meant for trail duty (although i did put a 2" lift on it), that is what the 40 is for. At this point, i think i'm going to wheel it and be really really really careful. Maybe I'll leave it at the Porcupine Rim trailhead and lead from someone else's truck... wanna run it saturday instead? :hill:

Is the 100 gone?

Saturday Porcupine? That is tempting... Is O'Neill running on Sat as well?

Kipper
04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
You need Chilisliders on that 4Runner, like I put on my wife's '97. Worked great, less filling.

I'll pay you like a million dollars to build me some and weld them on, hows friday afternoon look? ;)

Pablo- the 100 is safely under the control of the :Princess: i'm really sticking to my guns with this 40, it will be my trail rig for life, just gotta get er done

Red_Chili
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
For a million dollars you will have my whole day and the weekend too.

:lmao:

PabloCruise
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM

So you are going to pre-run Porcupine Sunday or Monday?

Kipper
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
For a million dollars you will have my whole day and the weekend too.

alright, so my negotiation skills are rusty... and i don't have a million dollars... still interested?:beer2:

Beachboy
04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Hells Revenge - Thurs
Steel Bender - Fri.
Can't do a run Saturday.

Beach Boy

Beachboy
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey, rover67,
I have a fenced yard with cover in Moab, if you need to put your dog somewhere on Saturday.
Beach Boy

Red_Chili
04-23-2008, 08:38 AM
alright, so my negotiation skills are rusty... and i don't have a million dollars... still interested?:beer2:
I will build sliders for you for a modest consideration. LOL
Probably not before Moab though, leaving Saturday. Got a lawn to mow and fertilize and doors to hang!
I don't want to undercut some of our vendors though. Jim et.al. gotta make a living at this stuff. His are prettier. Mine are basic.

PabloCruise
04-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Yep, page 60 trail 7.

Alright, I'll admit it, I caint reed two gud - where the heck is Porcupine Rim in the Wells book? Part of a nother trail? I looked at the ones I thought it would be a part of and no dice...

corsair23
04-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Alright, I'll admit it, I caint reed two gud - where the heck is Porcupine Rim in the Wells book? Part of a nother trail? I looked at the ones I thought it would be a part of and no dice...

Did you try the index at the back, under "P" for Porcupine Rim? :D

subzali
04-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a standalone trail, only a page IIRC, near Hells Revenge and Fins & Things. I haven't decided when I'm going to see it. I'm thinking of riding Amasa Back on Sunday morning, just to get it out of my system, so depending on what time I get back from that I would like to go over and see Porcupine in the truck. Then I can ride it Monday morning, the shuttle will be running then and it's mostly downhill so if I'm sore then I pretty much just coast back into town. Then Monday afternoon, dunno, maybe some people will want to go play in the sand dunes out by Gemini Bridges or down by Behind the Rocks (anyone interested maybe?), or maybe I'll save that for Tuesday morning depending on what else is going on with the people who are already there. Don't think I'll have time for Kane Creek :( unless someone does it Monday and I can ride Porcupine on the bike on Tuesday...so many options! :D

PabloCruise
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Did you try the index at the back, under "P" for Porcupine Rim? :D

Well that would be great, if I had an index in the back of my book!!! :mad:

corsair23
04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Well that would be great, if I had an index in the back of my book!!! :mad:

:doh: - Do you have the front index? The one with the map and the little numbers that reference the trails? Maybe I'm thinking of a different book :confused:

If no one else posts up before tonight or you don't find it by then I'll post up the page numbers for you when I get home :thumb:

PabloCruise
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks man, just contents and trail list in the front. I got the 2nd edition - maybe they left out the index?

corsair23
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks man, just contents and trail list in the front. I got the 2nd edition - maybe they left out the index?

Okey dokey...I've got the 1st Edition

On pg 6 of mine is "Trails Listed by Area" and on page 7 is the "Trail Locator Map". Page 8 has the "Trails Listed by Difficulty" and page 10 has the "Trails Listed by Alphabetically"

Anywho, Porcupine Rim according to my book is in Area 2 (Central Moab) and is listed as trail #33 and is found on page 166. In my book it comes just after Fins & Things and just before Sand Flats Road.

HTH :cheers:

PabloCruise
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Bummer dude, in the 2nd edition, Fins and Things is trail #33 on page 131.

I did get to see the first edition at our club meeting tonight and there is Porcupine Rim,plain as day, and an index. I wonder if you can still get the first edition anywhere?

corsair23
04-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Bummer dude, in the 2nd edition, Fins and Things is trail #33 on page 131.

I did get to see the first edition at our club meeting tonight and there is Porcupine Rim,plain as day, and an index. I wonder if you can still get the first edition anywhere?

So they dropped Porcupine Rim from the second edition :confused:. I wonder why they would do that?

But hey, at least now you know you weren't crazy not being able to find it in your book :hill:

rover67
04-29-2008, 06:48 PM
hey beach boy, i'll take you up on the offer to let Mead stay there.. i pm'ed you my number, give me a call or i'll look for ya there thursday :) whats your spot number?