PDA

View Full Version : CM06 Trail suggestions for a newbie...

Rezarf
01-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Howdy all-

Well, I am planning on attending CM06 and I really excited about it. I checked out the link with the trail descriptions and honestly, was a bit overwhelmed. So I thought I would ask the experts :D

What are you favorite, or newbie suggested trails?

My 40 is a bit better than stock. I am running 35" MTR's, Open Diffs, and I have a 8274 up front. This is my DD and I really enjoy using my 40 without abusing my rig. I am looking for something with a few challenges, and great scenery, but nothing too hardcore. But I do want to learn, so I don't want to just drive fire road level stuff.

I have little real offroad experience (mostly mud... ih8mud and fireroads, light trails), and no slick rock experience at all.

I am thinking of a few "easyish" or moderate days, and maybe one more challenging day (maybe some fun obsticals). :confused:

What do you think? Any help would be great before I sign up. Thanks for your time.

Rezarf <><

PS: I am looking forward to coming out to a Rising Sun meeting next month as my work schedule has changed and I no longer have to work Wednesday nights.

nuclearlemon
01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
fins n things is a definite must...very easy, but very fun.

Shark Bait
01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Throw an Aussie Locker in the rear and you'd qualify for almost anything. It's easy. If you need some help, let me know.

IanB
01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Throw an Aussie Locker in the rear and you'd qualify for almost anything. It's easy. If you need some help, let me know.

Yeah man, takes like 15-20 minutes, bring it over I'll do it. Just bring more :beer: when we weld up your tire carrier! :D

Rezarf
01-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks Ian!

What brew is your favorite!?

I will call you later.

Drew <><

Magoo
01-16-2006, 09:38 PM
def on the fins,for sure.try porcupine rim.thats just an awesome view.and for your difficult run i would recomend metal masher or steel bender.not that i have much experience but i have wheeled fins,and porcupine and everyone loves masher and bender.
shawn :beer:

Magoo
01-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah man, takes like 15-20 minutes, bring it over I'll do it. Just bring more :beer: when we weld up your tire carrier! :D
yes get aussie'd up.the traction on slickrock is amazing when locked. :D

Uncle Ben
01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks Ian!

I will call you later.

Drew <><

....cold! ;)

IanB
01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
....cold! ;)

Pretty much :D

wesintl
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
You gotta do hells revenge.. you can bypass what you don't feel worthy of like me... hehehe :D

Rezarf
01-16-2006, 10:19 PM
You gotta do hells revenge.. you can bypass what you don't feel worthy of like me... hehehe :D

I never thought about that. Are their other good trails where some bypass options exist?

Hells revenge, steal bender, metal masher... :eek:

Sounds like fun! :D Maybe time to hit the slider project

Rezarf <><

subzali
01-16-2006, 10:29 PM
you can bypass everything on behind the rocks except for white knuckle hill. My buddy did it in his CJ7 on 31s (and his transfer skid plate hangs low so he has less clearance than I do) just fine. Strapped up the rear bumper for white knuckle. Of course it's a lot more fun if you try stuff, but there are a lot of trails that have bypasses.

Rezarf
01-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Speaking of getting to CM06 and seeing how projects always take longer than planned. I am wondering which you would rather at Moab. Power steering or a rear locker?

I may need to prioritize...

Thank you for all the tips so far, as each trail comes up I take a look at the descriptions...

...an appreciative rock stacker.

Uncle Ben
01-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Speaking of getting to CM06 and seeing how projects always take longer than planned. I am wondering which you would rather at Moab. Power steering or a rear locker?

I may need to prioritize...

Thank you for all the tips so far, as each trail comes up I take a look at the descriptions...

...an appreciative rock stacker.

Tough call! Have to say locker if ya wanna play on tougher trails but PS is a VERY worthy mod!!!! Both will leave you wondering why you didn't do them earlier!

nakman
01-17-2006, 09:18 AM
I'd proably say power steering.. though I've never had to wheel without either :D .

But my logic is you only need lockers on maybe .0004% of the terrain that you'll be driving over, and that's if you aim for obstacles. But you pretty much always use the steering wheel. This is your daily driver right? pimp it out! Don't worry about being locked there will be someone in front & behind you with strap if needed, and learning how to pick lines & use a little momentum isn't such a bad thing either.

IanB
01-17-2006, 09:37 AM
I am wondering which you would rather at Moab. Power steering or a rear locker?

Dollar for dollar a locker, its so cheap, quick and easy. Nak has a very valid point though, in a DD PS is probably more important. Unless you go with mini truck PS though its a much more significant mod.

Romer did mini PS and a great write up on mud, it is a one day job once you have all the parts.

Saginaw, Scout, or FJ-60/62 PS are a much bigger job.

Shark Bait
01-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks Ian!

I will call you later.

Drew <><

Drew, When you call to order an Aussie Locker please tell them I referred you and that you LOVE their ad in Toyota Trails and on the TLCA website.

Thanks! :grinpimp: :D

wesintl
01-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Pleanty of time before moab for both to be done... :D

My vote is to do PS. You'll still have pleanty of fun on easier trails and can hit some harder ones in the future with a rear locker.

Magoo
01-17-2006, 01:19 PM
first hand experience,do some p/s.you will wanna look around at the scenerey and then bang wheel comes jerking out of your hand.i lost 3 days wheelin in moab cause of that.ask anyone that was around me,i was bitchin about it.
shawn

Hulk
01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Power steering or a rear locker?

Upgrades

You will appreciate the power steering more often than the locker, but both are great additions. The rear locker installation is so easy that it doesn't really fall in the same class of modifications.

I did my first CM w/o power steering. When I sank the front end of my 40 into the golden crack and then needed to turn my tires, it took two of us on the steering wheel to get them turned in the right direction. Good thing those stock steering wheels are big!

I remember the first time I went wheeling after the PS install. At the end of the day, I was wondering why my arms weren't so sore, like they usually were. Then it occured to me: power steering! It makes driving your 40 a lot more civilized.

Trail selection

My advice: don't do "Behind The Rocks" on your first Moab run. Get some experience behind the wheel. Here are some great, challenging, scenic, fun runs that you will love:

Fins & Things
Hells Revenge
Elephant Hill
Steel Bender
Metal Masher
Kane Creek
Wipe-Out Hill
All of these are great trails. I'll be probably be leading Fins on Thursday, and it's always a blast. Hells Revenge is a lot like Fins & Things, so I would pick one of these, not both. Kane Creek will give you some very different scenery than Fins/Hells, so that is a good choice too (lots of water crossings!) Elephant Hill is a long day with a lot of driving, but the scenery is spectacular. Plus you also get the added benefit of two nice hikes during the day, so you'll actually get out of your vehicle for a bit.

wesintl
01-17-2006, 01:51 PM
.i lost 3 days wheelin in moab cause of that.ask anyone that was around me,i was bitchin about it.
shawn

And here I thought it was your timing... not your thumbs :o

nakman
01-17-2006, 01:55 PM
And here I thought it was your timing...
Bwahahahaha!!!! that's still funny. :D

Rezarf
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Fins and things sounds like a keeper. Kane creek... what kind of different terrain is there? I have a snorkel but I haven't seen anything in the write ups about deep water in Moab.

BTW, I got the snorkel becuase I used to wheel in the south with a lot of creeks, rivers, and mud on every route... ih8mud.

Thanks again, I have seen elephant hill before in TT and other magazines... is it a boring drive? I know it has great scenery but is it no challenge?

Thanks again everyone, I am learning a lot. :D

nakman
01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Rezarf, my avatar is from Kane Creek last year (Wes riding shotgun), that's probably the deepest of the water crossings... I've got a 3" lift in front, so I'd guess the water was maybe 30" deep? There are probably 10 other places where you cross through that river, but none deeper than this one... but you're cruising through the bottom of a canyon for a while, sometimes completely surrounded by plantlife.. almost a mini safari.

Towards the end are two pretty good obstacles, where we'll probably need to strap you up if you're still open, unless the Jeep Easter guys stack a bunch of rocks in there..

Hulk
01-17-2006, 02:11 PM
You don't need a snorkel for Kane Creek. 'Tain't that deep.

The drive down to Canyonlands Park is ok. Once you're on the trail, there really aren't any dull sections. There are some sandy road sections that you can drive with speed, which is fun. There are many obstacles that will test your driving skills, but none so hard that you will roll your vehicle (unless you stray off the trail, in which case the rest of the group will lynch you anyway). It's rated a 3+, the same as Fins & Things.

I've never heard a single person describe Elephant Hill as "boring." It's one of my favorite trails. It is a long day, however.

wesintl
01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
only 2 real "obstacles" the first hill with 3 point turns and backing downhill. I guess it's not really and obstacle per say... and sob hill, a turn through the rocks that can be challenging for a stocker. The run I was on with cheeseman, there were some pretty capable rigs but that's not why you go to ehill. :)

For the most part all the trails up to a ~4 are easy except for 1-2 obstacles esp with a 40 on 35's even if open...

wesintl
01-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Speaking of E-Hill... I was wondering if anyone has continued south of chesler park to bobby's hole and the beef basin....

http://www.nps.gov/cany/pdfs/needles.pdf

Rezarf
01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Towards the end are two pretty good obstacles, where we'll probably need to strap you up if you're still open, unless the Jeep Easter guys stack a bunch of rocks in there..

Thanks Nakman-

This site still calls me a rock stacker so I guess I would be glad that the Jeepers did my job for me ;)

Rezarf
01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
I've never heard a single person describe Elephant Hill as "boring." It's one of my favorite trails. It is a long day, however.

Thanks Hulk-

How long is a "long day?"

Thanks

Hulk
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
How long is a "long day?"

We leave at 7:00 a.m. and usually get back after dark. Probably ~8:00 p.m. by the time we get back to camp.

Last year, I broke an axle and we didn't get back to town until 11 p.m., but that was pretty unusual.

The other long day is Golden Spike.

Rezarf
01-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow, do you need to carry fuel on that route?

Rezarf <><

Hulk
01-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow, do you need to carry fuel on that route?

Extra fuel is a good idea, especially if:

a) you have a smaller fuel tank on your Cruiser, or
b) you burn fuel faster than normal
I usually carry a spare 5 gallon can. I've never needed it, but my 1981 FJ40 has a larger fuel tank than earlier models. Most people will be carrying spare fuel. If you don't have room for it, someone else will (we usually are booked solid on this run: 20 trucks each day).

60wag
01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I did Ehill last year and want to do it again this year. As mentioned above, Its not really difficult but it has a great variety of terrain - definitely worth the extra miles.

subzali
01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I agree with Matt, definitely wouldn't suggest doing Behind the Rocks the first time out to Moab, just wanted to point out that with a setup like yours there shouldn't be too many trails you would need to shy away from (unless you don't have experience, which it sounds like you do), but trails like Fins and Things (or Hell's Revenge) and Elephant Hill should give you great exposure to the kind of wheeling that goes on out at Moab. Sorry about that other post, should have made that clearer :o

Rezarf
01-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone-

I would like to give a big THANK YOU for everyone who chimed in on helping me figure out some trails. I am going with the following trails:

Elephant Hill
Fins and Things
Kane Creek Canyon

I am trying to get a friend to sign up with me, and I just need to renew my TLCA membership.

Thanks again, I look forward to meeting some of you at the Feb meeting. :D

Rezarf (Drew Frazer) <><

Romer
01-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Damn, those are the same trails I signed up for the first two days. Now I am going to have to figure something else out :D

JK - Cruiserdan is talking about running Elephant Hill with me on Thursday as well

Rezarf
01-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Well I just registered, and man, I am impressed. Very professional and easy to do. I talked a buddy into coming with me who runs a really nice 4runner. We are signed up for the following:

Elephant Hill.
Fins and Things.
Metal Masher.

I let him talk me into Metal Masher... should be fun. :eek:

Thanks again for everyone's help! See you next week at the meeting and in May! :D

Rezarf <><