PDA

View Full Version : Vanity call signs...

corsair23
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok, so I'm vain :hill: but I don't particularly care for my "preassigned" call sign and I am looking to get a vanity call sign...

I know about searching to see if the call sign is available etc. but for those that have BTDT any tips or tricks?

Any reason to request a K vs. a N vs. a W to start off the call sign with?

Any reason not to add in the second letter (guess for us they are 'D')? i.e. K0 vs. KD0

Anyone have a suggestion for me on what might be a good fit :). On my current short list are the following suffixes: ZET, PEZ, WHL, TAZ, TOY, LEX

My main goal here is to get something unique that I can remember :o, may help others know who I am. A distant third reason would be the coolness factor but obviously as you can see from my choices I'm not working on the :cool: part too hard. :lmao:

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I chose to keep the "K" because with the exception of Elmer and his dad everyone else in the club starts with K. My assigned Call was pretty easy but I wanted something more personal. I sounded out several variations and settled on my because of how it flowed from the tongue. Basically mine is said in three syllables....K-0-UBN. Simple call for a simple brain.... :rolleyes:

corsair23
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I chose to keep the "K" because with the exception of Elmer and his dad everyone else in the club starts with K. My assigned Call was pretty easy but I wanted something more personal. I sounded out several variations and settled on my because of how it flowed from the tongue. Basically mine is said in three syllables....K-0-UBN. Simple call for a simple brain.... :rolleyes:

Good points :thumb: - I also have tried to see how my choices would "flow" and got rid of many that ended up sounding like I was talking while eating peanut butter. Even then some of the above listed suffixes don't really flow. I'm leaning towards either ZET or WHL (i.e. Whale) because they seem to flow the best. If I get my app in soon I "might" have the call sign in time for CM08.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Good points :thumb: - I also have tried to see how my choices would "flow" and got rid of many that ended up sounding like I was talking while eating peanut butter. Even then some of the above listed suffixes don't really flow. I'm leaning towards either ZET or WHL (i.e. Whale) because they seem to flow the best. If I get my app in soon I "might" have the call sign in time for CM08.

How 'bout K0RSR? 2 silly-bles....ok proper is 5 syls but fun is two

corsair23
04-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Hmmm...See, I hadn't even thought of combining it like that :D - Best I came up with to resemble my screen name was K0COR or K0CSR.

So K0ZET, K0WHL, K0RSR

Hmmm...Now you have me thinking :D

How about......W0RRY - That seems to fit :lol:

EDIT: Never mind...Some yocal in OK has that one already :rant:

Shark Bait
04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I haven't been able to come up with anything that strikes my fancy. K0CBH is taken. :(

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I haven't been able to come up with anything that strikes my fancy. K0CBH is taken. :(

K0FSH ;)

corsair23
04-08-2008, 05:29 PM

I've substantiated that I'm not very creative so I'll just list available options with "CBH" :hill:

KA0CBH (expired 8/15/99)
KB0CBH (expired 3/22/98)
KE0CBH | KF0CBH | KG0CBH | KI0CBH | KJ0CBH | KK0CBH
KM0CBH | KN0CBH | KO0CBH | KQ0CBH | KR0CBH | KS0CBH
KT0CBH | KU0CBH | KV0CBH | KW0CBH | KX0CBH | KY0CBH
KZ0CBH

I believe, reading 'da rules (http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?id=amateur&job=call_signs_1), living in CO (region 10) you can have any letter in the 2nd position EXCEPT for 'L' (region 11), 'P' (region 12), and 'H' (region 13).

nakman
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey I'll get on this.. anyone want to pick one out for me? I have been leaning towards K0NAK, which I believe is available... I really wanted N0KMN but someone took that one :(

I'm all ears though if someone wants to give me some suggestions, and yes Technician level, and unlikely to advance in the near future. I for sure want to have this in place before Rubithon, ideally CM.

corsair23
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I have been leaning towards K0NAK, which I believe is available... I really wanted N0KMN but someone took that one

Yep and yep...

Reading the rules it seems like the 2 character prefixes are generally reserved for the higher class license holders but all of us noob HAMs got "KD0" something so I'm thinking the FCC ran out of 1 character prefix licenses. Sooooo...does that open the door to requesting 2 character prefixes like I listed above for Chris :confused:...I don't know...

But if it does, how about "NA0KMN" :thumb:

If you want it in time for CM08 you'll have to hurry...Seems to take about 3 weeks or so...

Hulk
04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Technician class is eligible for a 1x3 call sign. The FCC assigns 2x3 call signs to everyone, sequentially.

I came up with a list of about 35 call signs that I thought were cute. Most spelled words, with the 0 representing an O. I stuck with the 0 since it does represent the region we are in. I dumped the K.

Here are a few I remember from my list:
N0SFW (not safe for work)
N0DUH
N0OPE

sleeoffroad
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Why not K0ZET, that works.

That is why I got K0SLE

corsair23
04-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Why not K0ZET, that works.

That is why I got K0SLE

You read my mind :hill: - I thought about "K0RSR" that UB mentioned but then I remembered back to when I had vanity license plates on my '82 Toy SR5 PU. I wanted "SKI2XS" but it was taken. I settled for "SKINXS" and everyone would ask me what "Skinks" meant wondering if I liked reptiles or something :eek:. I could see it with the vanity HAM call sign of "K0RSR" and people asking me what "coarser" stood for?

Anywho...Application for K0ZET is in so we'll see. I should get it, it is just a matter of when now. FWIW to others looking to do this, I noticed in many cases the "KD0XXX" call sign was available but that the "K0XXX" call sign was not. I dismissed any of my ideas where this was true to avoid confusion with the owner of the "K0XXX" call sign. And, it sounds like per Matt you may not be able to get anything other than a 1x3 vanity call sign anyway? I only question that because Bill was able to get KD0RCH :confused:. Seems to me that if the FCC will grant you a "KD0XXX" call sign then why not a "KA0XXX" or "NA0XXX" call sign? As long as the prefix isn't restricted to a particular region maybe they'd let you have it :thumb:

Hulk
04-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes, you can apply for a vanity 2x3 and/or a vanity 1x3 -- on the same application if you're worried that you might not get your first choice.

I don't think I'd get K0XXX though -- people might think you're playing for the other team. :lmao:

http://rustybrain.com/haha/fudge.jpg

corsair23
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't think I'd get K0XXX though -- people might think you're playing for the other team. :lmao:

:doh:

I just caught on to what you were stating there :eek: :lol:

I should have used a $ or * to indicate just a general format instead of the X. Or, we should be worrying about you reading that in the call sign :hill:

Tim, put in your app with NA0KMN as the first choice and then whatever else you come up with as your other choice/choices. Who knows...If NA0KMN is an invalid choice they'll just move on to your next choices. You can use the ULS or the other site listed in the other thread to see if any of your choices are already being used or being requested. On the other site you can even query call signs with multiple requests. Some call signs have 20+ requests :eek:

If you need help let me know...It seems more daunting than it really is, mostly because you just aren't sure what to put where. The little links they offer to the side on each page with FAQs helped answer most questions I had. What would be really nice is if they offered a "Check this/these callsigns for validity and availabilty link". You can check the later but I have not found anywhere you can check the validity of a call sign.

EDIT: Found this on ARRLs site --> "Extra class type call signs, they can seek a 2x2 or 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or a 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups B, C or D. General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)" :( - Doesn't look like NA0KMN would be valid regardless of license class because the prefix "N" isn't a choice for 2x3 call signs. I'd give it a shot anyway, just don't hold your breath...

Now, I think this horse has been sufficiently beat :hill:

Convert
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I keep looking at this thread trying to come up with a vanity call sign for my screen name but the only thing I come up with is K0VRT, I do like the way Kilo zero victor romeo tango rolls off the tongue,but just don't know Any other idea's?
Thanks Dan

nakman
04-10-2008, 11:36 PM
putting the site here, so I don't have to search for it again http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html

I like K0VRT, Dan. I think I'm going to go for NN0KMN myself, what do you guys think?

corsair23
04-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I keep looking at this thread trying to come up with a vanity call sign for my screen name but the only thing I come up with is K0VRT, I do like the way Kilo zero victor romeo tango rolls off the tongue,but just don't know Any other idea's?
Thanks Dan

I like K0VRT...Like covert :) - You can be the covert Convert :thumb:

You could be totally absent of uniqueness like me and go with K0DAN (if it ain't already taken) :hill:

corsair23
04-11-2008, 12:06 AM
putting the site here, so I don't have to search for it again http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html

I like K0VRT, Dan. I think I'm going to go for NN0KMN myself, what do you guys think?

Tim,

Did you by chance read the bottom of post #16? It doesn't look like you can do a 2x3 call sign when starting off with the "N" prefix...Don't know why as they allow 2x3 call signs that start off with K or W. Look under "What Vanity Call Sign Choices are Available?" on the page you linked to...

I won't even suggest starting of with a K and then 0KMN :lmao:but you could be W0KMN :hill:. If it were me, I'd throw NN0KMN or NA0KMN on the app and then 1 or more of ones you know will work. Who knows, maybe it will slip through. The most that will happen is they will deny/dismiss the first 1 or 2 as being invalid and pick the next available one that is valid. Good luck!

Hulk
04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Crap, dude. Yours isn't easy at all.

Taken
N0KMN
N4KMN

Available
K0TNK
K0MAN
N0KMA (canceled last year)
N4KFC (do you like fried chicken?)
N4KMZ
NK0MAN (but this may not be an option, as Jeff said)

Uncle Ben
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
N0LED is still available! ;)

So is M0TIM
as is K0NMN

Romer
06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
K0ROM is now official. That prediction web site was right on the money

corsair23
06-10-2008, 12:24 PM
K0ROM is now official. That prediction web site was right on the money

:thumb:

Hulk
06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a Japanese robot. :D

Romer
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
So looks like when you change to a vanity, thats a new license and the 10 year clock starts ticking all over.

Hulk
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, an added bonus. I got an additional 9 months tacked on from my original license date.

corsair23
06-11-2008, 03:34 PM
So looks like when you change to a vanity, thats a new license and the 10 year clock starts ticking all over.

I didn't think so but looking at mine I guess so...Not a new license per se but more like an early renewal :confused:

EDIT: I need to learn to type faster :D

Romer
06-13-2008, 08:57 AM
k0dor applied for for Rachel.

k0rod is taken, but kd0rod is not for Sarah. See what she wants to do. She though K0lio would be funny "coolio" but its taken

timmbuck2
07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Kd0tim

:)

Rock Dog
08-03-2008, 12:57 AM
i have not even received a call sign yet and am already looking at Vanity signs... :rolleyes:

I had a long list, but most were only for "extra" licenses, or will not fully expire for some time... I really like Nakman's, Wes's, and Matt's (W0RDY :lmao::lmao:).

These 3 would probably be allowed:
N3ILQ Expired 11/20/2000 (3 being a backward E)
K9ROC (a play on Rock Dog) Bill showed that K9 is available...
N0QIG Expired 12/17/2001

Not sure these are valid unless ameteur Extra:
NE1LQ (NE1L and NE1LL already taken)
NQ0NQ
NQ4WD
NQ2N Expired 10/24/2005

Uncle Ben
08-03-2008, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=Rock Dog;81792]i have not even received a call sign yet and am already looking at Vanity signs... :rolleyes:

I had a long list, but most were only for "extra" licenses, or will not fully expire for some time... I really like Nakman's, Wes's, and Matt's (W0RDY :lmao::lmao:).

I'm crushed that K0UBN didn't even get honorable mention! :( ;)

Rock Dog
08-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Did'nt mean to leave you out Uncle Ben (and WELCOME BACK!), but you have to admit W0RDY is just plain FUNNY :lmao: I wondered why Matt did not go for K0FAR, but see that Karie got that one .

Wes being able to use his last name W0REK is also pretty cool...:thumb:
your's, Romers, Nakman's, and Bill's new K9BVB are great but Matt's is the most entertaining.

I see from the database that they are up to KD0EVF as Aug 1st.
Kd0evl (evil) may be cool.. :rolleyes:

Romer
08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh and now your forgetting K0DOR (daughterofromer)

Just kidding dude. It was nice hanging with you yesterday

Hulk
08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the props! I'm most impressed with Wes' call sign, actually.

As for Karie's, I had found K0FAR about 6 months before it was going to expire, and had it on my calendar to apply. In the meantime, Karie got interested in ham and started the "Wives' Class," and since her name starts with a K, I thought it even more appropriate for her. So I started searching for other cool call signs.

Here were some others that I considered:

W0SUP (Wha'sup!)
W0KAY
W0WZR
N0XXX
N0OPE
W0TEQ
N0IZY
N0RTH
K0TNT
K0ZIP
K0TXT
N0TME
N0SFW (NSFW)
W0BBB
N0MSG (Because MSG can give you a rash, yo)
N0TEQ
N0DUH (Best said by a teenage girl with attitude: "No Duh, Sherlock!")
N0GOO
K0ZZT (I thought this one sounded cool when said aloud)
N0WTF (WTF, dude?)

Rock Dog
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I spent way too much time looking at different combinations..
w8dog
k0ngo
w1mpy
k1ckr
w0lfq
........... and still cannot even transmit yet.

wesintl
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
........... and still cannot even transmit yet.

check tomorrow (tues) between 4-5... :beer:

ginericLC
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I was thinking about the Rallye so decided to check in.

I've thought about it some too.

I wanted N2GIN but it is taken plus it might sound like I'm an alcoholic or something.

Then I thought K7GIN again, taken. 7 is Idahos region.

So then I went to Ws and I could get W7GIN or W2GIN (I think). My dad has a W something call sign from back in 63? I think.

And then I decided that I never use the darn thing. The last time I used it for anything productive was Rubithon 07. Nobody in Idaho has converted to HAM, I've missed the last few CMs and who knows when I'll make it again. So I've decided to stick with the KE7KUL for now. But if any of you have something with GIN in mind that sounds nice let me know, I might reconsider it.

Eric V.

nakman
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Eric:
kOvot
g3nrk
g3ner

Neil:
k0rdg
sa4rnr
k0sfa

does anyone know N0IFS? He lives in Golden, got his Extra in March..

Uncle Ben
08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I was thinking about the Rallye so decided to check in.

I've thought about it some too.

I wanted N2GIN but it is taken plus it might sound like I'm an alcoholic or something.

Then I thought K7GIN again, taken. 7 is Idahos region.

So then I went to Ws and I could get W7GIN or W2GIN (I think). My dad has a W something call sign from back in 63? I think.

And then I decided that I never use the darn thing. The last time I used it for anything productive was Rubithon 07. Nobody in Idaho has converted to HAM, I've missed the last few CMs and who knows when I'll make it again. So I've decided to stick with the KE7KUL for now. But if any of you have something with GIN in mind that sounds nice let me know, I might reconsider it.

Eric V.

Eric, you should ping into CRA's IRLP from your local repeater at 20:00 on Monday nights and chat wit your extended family here in the front range!

Rock Dog
08-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Man, oh man, I should be N2IFS? Yeah, I'm sticking with kilo charlie zero professional engineering goober, tho.

N4IFS
W2IFS
W4IFS
are all open :rolleyes:

wesintl
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
check tomorrow (tues) between 4-5... :beer:
sorry neil mine came in on a tues, hopefully it'll be posted today

Rock Dog
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
just checked and do not see any new ones for colorado posted today, mostly Kansas and Missouri.....

wesintl
08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
yer legal KDEXO :thumb:

Rock Dog
08-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks Wes ! it's your birthday, and i am the one who feels like they got the present... :beer2::woot::party:

They did however spell NEIL wrong :rolleyes:

I guess i will call them monday to get that corrected. Also checked my copies of the form just to make sure i did not make the mistake and spell my own name wrong :lmao: it was early after all :rolleyes:

Kilo Delta zero Echo X-ray Oscar

wesintl
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
The fcc will send you some info and pin in the mail so you can login with your frn. I believe you can change it there along with your address etc. then apply for a vanity if needed. The exo is kinda cool though.

Rock Dog
08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
The fcc will send you some info and pin in the mail so you can login with your frn. I believe you can change it there along with your address etc. then apply for a vanity if needed. The exo is kinda cool though.

They did get the General part right :D
Been reading the book for the Extra class, and man does it have a bunch of stuff. Can't wait to get off work and finish hooking up the antenna to the radio..

Romer
08-08-2008, 06:59 PM
you can find your frn on line and get your pin there to. In the FCC database, look up your call sign.

You can change addresses, maybe correct your name too

ginericLC
08-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Eric, you should ping into CRA's IRLP from your local repeater at 20:00 on Monday nights and chat wit your extended family here in the front range!

Could I do this from Echolink? Anyone know the station ID? I've never even used Echolink but I've had it installed for months maybe even over a year.

nakman
08-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice Neil, and that EXO is sweet man you don't need no vanity call. But we gotta tube out the 80 now. :)

Rock Dog
08-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Mike,
per the conversion earlier, what about....
Nr0oot
Nr0ot
kr0ot
wr0ot
WH1TE
Wh1tre
W1mpy

k0trt (n0trt and w0trt are both taken)
k9trt
w8trt

(Km1ke, wm1ke, nm1ke are already taken)

Jethro
08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Had to get this done before Ouray.

Now it's official.

KD0CXU is now W0JTR.

Uncle Ben
08-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Now it's official.

KD0CXU is now W0JTR.

very kewl!

Jethro
08-21-2008, 08:17 PM
very kewl!

:kevin:
All you folks been saying how easy it is to change your call sign. It really is a breeze. About 12 bucks and maybe 2 weeks. Having read this thread, I realize the most difficult part is selecting a call sign!:lmao:

Rock Dog
08-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Now it's official.

KD0CXU is now W0JTR.

kind of like Whoa Jethro..... very cool :cool:

Wiskey zero juliet tango romeo

Kind of tells a story of Romeo and Juliet drinking and dancing... not many call signs can claim that :thumb:

treerootCO
03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
TTT - Applied for K0TRT

MDH33
03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I was assigned KD0GWM

Darn it. just googled GWM to see if there were any acronyms... :o:p:

Doh! :homer:

guess I need a vanity call sign...

I think KD0MDH might be available. Any other suggestions?

nakman
03-12-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd drop the D, and just do K0MDH if you can.

wesintl
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
GWM :lmao:

k0mdh

looks like nakman beat me to it.

MDH33
03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
That one is taken already.

Groucho
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Meh, leave the vanity calls to the vane Cruisers. Nothing wrong with KD0GWM. 73's, KC0PEG.

While mine is techincally a vanity sign because it wasn't my original (KCTXK), mine has historic and family importance. I am 3rd generation HAM, and one of my grandfather's callsigns was WIIN which is why I chose it. The other one that he had was WDW, but Bruce got that one.

Plus, my callsign is very fast to send in morse code, just an added bonus.

Hulk
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I just wanted one that is easy to remember:
WRDY.

Uncle Ben
03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
How could I pass up K0UBN? :rolleyes: It rolls off the tongue so well with a Carmel Macchiato! :rolleyes: :lmao: :bowdown::kevin: Although I have to admit KD0CLY was a pretty easy one it just didn't feel right....

nakman
03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I did it for you, not me... pretty easy to remember NAK, isn't it? What you call vane I call selfless and humanitarian.. :rolleyes: :)

Uncle Ben
03-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I did it for you, not me... pretty easy to remember NAK, isn't it? What you call vane I call selfless and humanitarian.. :rolleyes: :)

Thank you....I appreciate your kindness sir! ;) :lmao: Really I do! :thumb::thumb: ;)

nakman
03-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh, and same goes for the JDM grab handle, the LED's in the cup holder, the rock lights, heated seats... it's all for you, not me. :D

nuclearlemon
03-13-2009, 04:02 PM

thank you...everyone should have vanity signs...i can't remember who you non vain people are:lmao:

timmbuck2
03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

exactly...KD0TIM is easy. At the Ham radio shop yesterday when he asked for my callsign, he said :Your name better be Tim!!" :hill:

T

treerootCO
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
K0TRT was dismissed by the Commission due to defective information or nonconformance with Commission rules.

nakman
04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
K0TRT was dismissed by the Commission due to defective information or nonconformance with Commission rules.

bummer. did you request any alternates?

Groucho
04-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Try for KCTRT. It might have something to do with the 1 x 3 and the letters.

Karst8835
04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I received my old call back - K3UGR. Still need to install my FT8800 in my 80.

Jack

Cheeseman
04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I've been down for the count for the last three days. I didn't realize how important this particular style of Identification is to some of us. All of these ideas are pretty cool. So now that I'm back to snuff. I'll throw my hat in the ring. I would like something to do with Cheeseman but I'm not sure this will be easy. CHZ is hard to say, that rolling of the tongue stuff. This should open up some interesting comments.

Thanks early for your most thoughtful and generous input.
________
BUY BUBBLERS (http://bubblers.net/)

Hulk
04-04-2009, 03:52 PM
All of these ideas are pretty cool. So now that I'm back to snuff. I'll throw my hat in the ring. I would like something to do with Cheeseman but I'm not sure this will be easy.

KH3ESE is available

RicardoJM
04-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I received my old call back - K3UGR.

That is cool, must feel just like old times. :D

treerootCO
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I received the letter from the FCC. It states the vanity call sign K0TRT has been denied to the reason below:

Your request for vanity call sign has been denied.

treerootCO
04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, it's brief at least. According to QRZ someone already has that call, fella in Englewood.

http://www.qrz.com/callsign?callsign=K0TRT

Ok, that makes sense....I searched the database before I requested it and, at that time, it was available. It would be funny if his grant date was recent.

wesintl
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
12/12/2008

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3064009