PDA

View Full Version : Outlaws Run 2008- St.Fuaw!

bh4rnnr
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
That's right!, the 2008 Outlaws Run dates are being worked out:cool:. Waiting confirmation from the reservation office. Now, that this is the 5th year for the run(crazy isnt it?), WE WILL be heading into Robbers Roost and Spanish Bottom.

Yes, i'm still waiting on the two dates, but the plan is this: After meeting in either Green River of Hanksville, We turn into Poision Spring Canyon, cross the Dirty Devil. We then head to Sunset Pass, finally turning towards the Colorado via Spanish Bottom Trail. Permits will call for camp the first night at Spanish Bottom. So this leaves us an afternoon/evening to travel 90 miles. Most will be easy high speed road. 20 or so of it will be more challanging, but nothing that shouldnt slow the group down to much. Once at Spanish Bottom, we will have a full day to hike down to the Colorado, following part of the old Outlaw Trail. I want to leave a full day to enjoy the hike and take it easy!

The next day after the hike, we will head back out the Spanish Bottom Trail. From there, up the Flint Trail. This leaves us some time to wonder on top of Robbers Roost and explore. Places like Centurey Spring and Ekker Ranch. Lots of ground up there to explore. Come Sunday, it's back to Green River, and yes, Rays Tavern.

this will be a Wed-Sunday run. The dates proposed to the Reservation office are:

September 24-28th

and

October 1-5th.

Now, the permits call for a maximum of 6 vehicles and so many people per group are allowed.

But, that's just for the part of the trip entering in Glen Canyon. One idea to counter this. Once at the intersection to Spanish Bottom, we can leave(hide) vehicles and get them into the others and head to the colorado.....

As stated above, this will be, at least for the first part of the trip, ST.FUAW!, being that we have some 90 miles of dirt to cover in an afternoon.

As I get more info from Glen Canyon, I will post more details on the trip. This should be a lot of fun:), in a most amazing area. A place i've only read about since I was a boy.

:robbie::beer::beer:

powderpig
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I think I have to go, since you are using my cruiser next to the beers and I have not been in a year. Getting lost with Perry is a special event.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I think I have to go, since you are using my cruiser next to the beers and I have not been in a year. Getting lost with Perry is a special event.

Actually, if thats the case Robin needs to go! :eek: :lmao: ;) :bolt:

nuclearlemon
04-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Actually, if thats the case Robin needs to go! :eek: :lmao: ;) :bolt::lmao::lmao:

Inukshuk
04-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Guess I'll have to take the whole week off since my mom will be in Moab with friends and I plan to spend the 28th -30th with her. I will have to bring the dogs - will that work?

bh4rnnr
04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Guess I'll have to take the whole week off since my mom will be in Moab with friends and I plan to spend the 28th -30th with her. I will have to bring the dogs - will that work?

Dogs are not allowed within the National Parks......

elliott
04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
this sounds like a fun run. I could do either date.

Inukshuk
04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Dogs are not allowed within the National Parks......

Will we be in one?

bh4rnnr
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Will we be in one?

Yep, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

bh4rnnr
04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Woot!!!! Just reserved campsites at Spanish Bottom, aka Doll House. Official Dates will be September 24th-28th.

Dates for permits are 24th and 25th. That leaves us some 90 miles to travel in an afternoon. Reports from fellow cruiserheads suggest some 6-8 hrs of 40-50 mph driving, to cover the ground to reach the campsites.

Permits only allow 6 vehicles and 18 people all together.

Yeah, this is going to be a good run:cool:

:beer::beer:

wesintl
04-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Man... I can't buy time for my favorite runs this year. That's too close to the bun in the oven. Have fun Outlaws.

Inukshuk
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Yep, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/pets.htm:
Pets are allowed in most parts of the recreation area. Pets must be on a leash that is no longer than six feet in length. Owners must clean up solid pet waste.
Pets are NOT allowed in the following areas:
All archeological sites.
All marinas, docks, walkways, and launch ramps, except when proceeding directly to or from a boat.
Along the San Juan River from Clay Hills Crossing upstream to the Glen Canyon NRA boundary as designated by required permit available through the Bureau of Land Management.
Orange Cliffs special permit area.
Rainbow Bridge NM, except for pets in vessels at the courtesy docks.
Dogs are prohibited on the Colorado River downstream from the dam to the boundary of Grand Canyon NP except when used in support of hunting activities in accordance with applicable Federal and State laws.
Dogs and other companion animals are prohibited from entering Coyote Gulch within the boundaries of GCNRA. (This prohibition does not apply to guide dogs accompanying visual impaired persons or to hearing ear dogs accompanying hearing impaired persons.) This prohibition includes all dogs or other pet animals used to carry or transport recreational equipment or food.

Inukshuk
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Woot!!!! Just reserved campsites at Spanish Bottom, aka Doll House. Official Dates will be September 24th-28th.

My mom and a friend of hers will be rafting the Colorado, with the take out at Hite on the 26th. What is the likelihood that I can split from the group the 26th and safely get to Hite solo?

MDH33
04-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Perry, Since I'm having to bail on Rubithon, I'm going to put the Outlaws Run on my calender this year so add me to the list. Are there any reservations I'll need to make, or are you getting group sites arranged? :thumb:

bh4rnnr
04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
My mom and a friend of hers will be rafting the Colorado, with the take out at Hite on the 26th. What is the likelihood that I can split from the group the 26th and safely get to Hite solo?

Dan, we will be heading out that friday from Spanish Bottom. We will be heading up the Flint Trail to take us to the top of the Roost. We can get you as far as Hans Flat Ranger Station. From there, it's an easy drive North to Green River. I'll show you on the maps.

And interesting about the Dogs, i've always been told no Dogs allowed.

Martin, glad to have you along:cool:.

Inukshuk
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Dan, we will be heading out that friday from Spanish Bottom. We will be heading up the Flint Trail to take us to the top of the Roost. We can get you as far as Hans Flat Ranger Station. From there, it's an easy drive North to Green River. I'll show you on the maps.

And interesting about the Dogs, i've always been told no Dogs allowed.

Perry -
The exit strategy opens up options for me which is good. The dogs part is because you have some basic info wrong. This area is in Canyonlands National Park not Glen Canyon Recreation Area. Dude, ya gotta sweat the details. :thumb: Dogs are prohibited in Canyonlands National Park.
"There are hundreds of miles of four-wheel-drive roads in Canyonlands, ranging in difficulty from intermediate to extremely technical. Pets may not accompany groups on four-wheel-drive roads, even in a vehicle." http://www.canyonlands.national-park.com/visit.htm

Inukshuk
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Check out http://www.utahtrails.com/standingrocks.html

MDH33
04-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Check out http://www.utahtrails.com/standingrocks.html

Good Info Daniel. Are you going to find a dog-sitter so you can make the trip? I've always wanted to explore in the Maze, sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. :thumb:

Inukshuk
04-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Good Info Daniel. Are you going to find a dog-sitter so you can make the trip? I've always wanted to explore in the Maze, sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. :thumb:

Yes. I will probably leave the pups home :( because after I split off from you guys I will go to Moab with my mom and her friend and we will be in the Arches and Canyonlands hiking.

So now the trick will be to see whether I can get out of the backcountry and down to Hite Friday.

bh4rnnr
04-19-2008, 03:14 PM

Not to be a downer, but we will be just south of the Maze;). Still will be a lot of fun:cool:

Dan, sorry to here about the pups. Even after finding that good info. I was ready to print it up and have along with me.

MDH33
04-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Not to be a downer, but we will be just south of the Maze;). Still will be a lot of fun:cool:

Dan, sorry to here about the pups. Even after finding that good info. I was ready to print it up and have along with me.

I thought that Spanish Bottom and the Doll House campsites were IN the Maze? I need to pour over some maps. But regardless, it's All beautiful country. :thumb:

cruiseroutfit
04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
In :D

Inukshuk
04-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Good deal! I will be there Wednesday to Friday.

Vitesse_6
04-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Sounds fun, I had a great time last year.
As usual we are touch and go, Like last year.
Have fun

bh4rnnr
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Well I got the Ok papers for the permits yesterday when I got back from Europe. Will have to stop at BLM before we head in to confirm, but as of right now, everythings a go:cool::beer::beer:

MDH33
05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Well I got the Ok papers for the permits yesterday when I got back from Europe. Will have to stop at BLM before we head in to confirm, but as of right now, everythings a go:cool::beer::beer:

Very cool Perry! :thumb: Can you pm me some info so that I can acquire some maps of the areas planned? Thanks!

bh4rnnr
05-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Very cool Perry! :thumb: Can you pm me some info so that I can acquire some maps of the areas planned? Thanks!

Martin, i'll send you a pm this week:beer:

bh4rnnr
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
With the rising gas prices(now creeping the 5$ mark in Cali:eek:) I will be handiling all permit costs on this years Outlaws Run. In an effort to say thanks for coming out and hanging with me in the Desert.

I'm going to update first post this week with a who's confirmed.

Hulk
06-09-2008, 11:56 PM
How much are the costs? Maybe RS can pick this up.

bh4rnnr
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
How much are the costs? Maybe RS can pick this up.

You guys dont really need to but, if you must, The permits for each vehicle cost is 10$. 6 vehicles are allowed on the permits, 19 people altogether.

Inukshuk
06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
So $10 per vehicle? All in or per day?

:perry: - you are a generous soul but you must be :smokin: or :boozer: something if you think I'm gonna let you pay for all that! :confuse2:

bh4rnnr
07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Just a little bumping, and letting folks know that the Glen Canyon portion of the trip is filled up untill posted.

Our plan for friday is to head out of the Doll House(Spanish Bottom) and up the Flint Trail and on to the roost. I'm working on a camp site for that night, as there will be about four or five folks coming down from SLC that night(late). The rest of the weekend is schedualed to be laid back exploring.

MDH33
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
TTT

Only a month away. :thumb: :beer:

bh4rnnr
08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
TTT

Only a month away. :thumb: :beer:

:cool::beer:

We do have one spot open for the Glen Canyon portion of the trip. Post up if you are interested in going on a great run.

Inukshuk
08-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Woo Hoo! $4.25 gas!

MDH33
08-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Woo Hoo! $4.25 gas!

I only paid 3.90 for midgrade in Evergreen yesterday. ;)

MDH33
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM
So, I got the hall pass and will be heading out to Utah Monday, Sept. 22. :D

Plan will be to camp out Monday night near Moab, then head West Tuesday morning and into the desert to explore, then up Poison Spring road Wednesday morning at a leisurely pace until the group catches up to me.

Perry, who's confirmed? :beer:

Inukshuk
08-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Good to hear. I'm confirmed but will split off Friday to drive to Hite and pick up my mom and a friend finishing a rafting trip.

bh4rnnr
09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
So, I got the hall pass and will be heading out to Utah Monday, Sept. 22. :D

Plan will be to camp out Monday night near Moab, then head West Tuesday morning and into the desert to explore, then up Poison Spring road Wednesday morning at a leisurely pace until the group catches up to me.

Perry, who's confirmed? :beer:

Martin,

good news on the hall pass:bowdown:. We will keep an eye out for you Wed afternoon.

As for confirmed, it's you, Daniel, Kurt, myself and one other person from Expedition Utah. As stated, Daniel takes off Friday, and a few people from Salt lake will join us that night for the rest of the weekend.

:cheers:

MDH33
09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
ten days!

bh4rnnr
09-14-2008, 12:05 PM
ten days!

Yeah, it's crazy how fast the time went by this summer. But I sure am looking forward to this trip!

Would you guys be interested in doing something for a dinner thursday night? Figure might be fun after a long day of hicking

MDH33
09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, it's crazy how fast the time went by this summer. But I sure am looking forward to this trip!

Would you guys be interested in doing something for a dinner thursday night? Figure might be fun after a long day of hicking

Sounds good to me. :thumb:

Perry, are we in campsite 1, 2, or 3 at the Dollhouse? Just in case I get there ahead of the group Wednesday.

I noticed on the Exp-Utah site that Paul R. has bailed unfortunately. Did anyone else want to go? There is space available for another vehicle for the two nights in Canyonlands I believe.

bh4rnnr
09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Sounds good to me. :thumb:

Perry, are we in campsite 1, 2, or 3 at the Dollhouse? Just in case I get there ahead of the group Wednesday.

I noticed on the Exp-Utah site that Paul R. has bailed unfortunately. Did anyone else want to go? There is space available for another vehicle for the two nights in Canyonlands I believe.

Martin, from my recolection, Paul was wanting to join us on Friday. There is one space available. As right now there will be Daniel, Kurt, Cody(fromExpeditionUtah), you and myself.

I forgot what ones exactly. Have to check them tonight when I get home. Maybe before next week, I will get your vehicel info so I can call it in to the Ranger Station for the permits.

It also looks like Kurt will not be leaving Salt Lake till late that afternoon so he is going to meet up with us in the morning.

What would you guys want to do for Dinner?

MDH33
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Martin, from my recolection, Paul was wanting to join us on Friday. There is one space available. As right now there will be Daniel, Kurt, Cody(fromExpeditionUtah), you and myself.

I forgot what ones exactly. Have to check them tonight when I get home. Maybe before next week, I will get your vehicel info so I can call it in to the Ranger Station for the permits.

It also looks like Kurt will not be leaving Salt Lake till late that afternoon so he is going to meet up with us in the morning.

What would you guys want to do for Dinner?

I'll PM you my vehicle info.

Can we have a campfire out there? I was thinking about making a bunch of chili, freezing it, then re-heating it in the campfire coals if someone has a dutch oven. Maybe some cornbread too.

Inukshuk
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Some reading at:
http://www.canyonlands.national-park.com/camping.htm
http://www.utahtrails.com/standingrocks.html
I have not yet determined the fire regulations. If we can have a fire we will need firewood.
Perry & I will drive out Tuesday night.
Between us we will have a stove which we could use to re-heat chili. MMMMnnnn, CHili!

bh4rnnr
09-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I'll PM you my vehicle info.

Can we have a campfire out there? I was thinking about making a bunch of chili, freezing it, then re-heating it in the campfire coals if someone has a dutch oven. Maybe some cornbread too.

Martin, they do not allow fires in the park. Though they allow them if your boating and camping on the shore:rolleyes:.

Like Daniel said, there will be plenty of stove for cooking:cheers:

Inukshuk
09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Martin, they do not allow fires in the park. Though they allow them if your boating and camping on the shore:rolleyes:

Not even that now: Fire Ban in Effect Along River Corridors http://www.nps.gov/cany/parknews/news072908.htm

Inukshuk
09-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Perry - will you have space for extra gas cans. I have three. I probably won't need all that.
Tim offered his roof rack (thanks Tim) but I don't think I really would need it except maybe for gas. I will see whether I can strap a can or two to the factory rack......

Inukshuk
09-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I was just playing with Google Earth and looking over our area. WOW!

MDH33
09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Speaking of gas, I have two jerry cans, but I'm thinking I might need more. Anyone have one or two I can borrow? :thumb:

Inukshuk
09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I have a total of three gas cans. I'm thinking I won't need much if any, maybe one. I don't have a good place to carry any.
I have been studying maps. Thursday will be outstanding hiking (no hicking!).

bh4rnnr
09-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a total of three gas cans. I'm thinking I won't need much if any, maybe one. I don't have a good place to carry any.

I dont know how much room i'll have in back but you can take whatever is free. I'm sure with a little moving around, we can find some more room.

I will also be bringing three cans.

Yeah, from all i've read, thursday is going to be a lot of fun!

MDH33
09-18-2008, 08:59 AM

I'll have room for some extra cans. :thumb:

Yes, the hiking in that area should be great. There are a couple of arches near there I hope we can find also.

http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery_files/Maze03-SPAN-9-2-fig09.jpg

http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery_files/Maze06-SPAN-7-1-fig05.jpg

Inukshuk
09-18-2008, 08:11 PM
I have been studying water flow of the Dirty Devil River in anticipation of our crossing in Poison Springs Canyon. Last year we spent three hours crossing the Fremont River, a tributary of the Dirty Devil, only to have to turn around on the other side due to mud. And that crossing had a concrete bottom. Perry was there in 2006 for insanely high water "2007 Oct. 07, 2006 - 35,800 CFS" Its running 20 CFS today.

The Fremont River was at 31 CFS when we crossed it last year on 9/27. What we did not know last year was that it had flooded to 143 CFS just four days before, on 9/23.

AMAZING to see the flash flood data - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=html&period=60&site_no=09333500

The Dirty Devil hit 10,000 CFS in August and took a week to drop (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?cb_all_00060_00065=on&cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif&period=60&site_no=09333500) 8/6 it went from 4.7 CFS to 99 in 15 minutes. 350 (!) in 45 minutes. Serious. The day after it went from 394 to 1500 in 30 minutes! Crap! But wait, there is more. 8/8 it hit 10,000 - yes 10,000.

It has stayed low since and was at 20 CFS just 15 minutes ago.

Inukshuk
09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd be up for a hike to the Harvest Panel pictographs after Spanish Bottom. 8 miles RT

Inukshuk
09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Ok, last one for a while: the crossing http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventures/0609or_outlaw_trail/photo_07.html

bh4rnnr
09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I'd be up for a hike to the Harvest Panel pictographs after Spanish Bottom. 8 miles RT

I'm game! So long as I can take a dip in the Colorado:cheers:

MDH33
09-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Looks like we're in for some rough weather :cool:

bh4rnnr
09-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Looks like we're in for some rough weather :cool:

Looking to be some good weather for a good trip!

A trip report on the Dirty Devil/Poision Spring Road (http://www.ruxtonnoble.com/poisonspring.html):cool:

Inukshuk
09-19-2008, 10:41 PM
A trip report on the Dirty Devil/Poision Spring Road (http://www.ruxtonnoble.com/poisonspring.html):cool:

I'm excited! Got my new GPS today - Garmin eTrex Legend Cx. (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2431847&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP) Amazing upgrade from my 9 year old E-Trex Legend (still a workhorse) and a bargain I think at $139.00. Plus, mine arrived with a 128MB microSD memory card instead of 64MB. Bonus!

bh4rnnr
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
All I can say is that i'm pooped and ready for a few days of R&R in the desert!

Martin, have fun monday and tuesday and we will see you wed some time.

bh4rnnr
09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
All packed and ready for the trip. Just need to get through work then it's westword to the desert:cool:

Daniel, have plenty of room for extra gas cans:cheers:

bh4rnnr
09-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Other than the long drive home last night, an epic trip:cool:. Will be working on the trip report this week. Lots of pics:cool:

MDH33
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Other than the long drive home last night, an epic trip:cool:. Will be working on the trip report this week. Lots of pics:cool:

X2! :guapo:

I'm uploading pics now. As soon as Perry Posts up his report, I'll add some more photos.

Awesome trip!!! :thumb: :perry:

Hulk
09-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Looking forward to pictures!