PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy aluminum

lfd270ben
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I need a couple of sticks of 1x1x .25 alu tubing so I can move the mounts and reinforce my Roof top tent. Suggestions I live on the north side. how much do you think 2 6 ft sticks will cost? also does any body have a rivet gun I can use and a suggestion on where to buy rivets?
Thanks,
Ben

nakman
04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
So you're looking for square tubing? Did you check Lowes/Home Depot? Yeah they have that there.. steel too. It won't be .25" wall though, more like .125

corsair23
04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
What RTT do you have?

If it is one of the lesser expensive Mombasa ones then you might want to look into replacing the rivets as hold down items :D

LEXUSBEN did a nice job on his --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3310

And, I know there are a lot of posts over on MUD about modifying the RTTs attachment points for the better. There was an entire thread dedicated to reviews of the Mombasa RTT that many bought. IIRC there were quite a few posts and links of what people did to reinforce/improve the mounting/attachment pieces.

Beater
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
alreco in henderson. best pricing and service. tons of recycled/remnant/new.

j

Rezarf
04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Ben, I will trade you a rivet gun for some time on your press?

:D

And yup, HD and Lowes carry the tubing your after, McGukins has a better selection though for sure!

lfd270ben
04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
deal!!!
Ben, I will trade you a rivet gun for some time on your press?

:D

And yup, HD and Lowes carry the tubing your after, McGukins has a better selection though for sure!

nuclearlemon
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
alreco in henderson. best pricing and service. tons of recycled/remnant/new.

j

x2 on al-re-co.

lfd270ben
04-26-2008, 01:37 AM
So I went to alreco and I am pretty sure I got ripped off I just cant help it I asked three different guys how much a pound for the scrap aluminum was for pricing and all of them just didnt answer me then all three walk away together one points at my brand new truck they all talk for a second then one comes back and tells 3$ a pound they had already weighed the scrap at 20# total. I might be paranoid but how much have you all paid before for scrap?

Rezarf
04-26-2008, 09:01 AM
bummer, it does seem like a little pow-wow meeting bud.

How is the tent mounting coming along?

lfd270ben
04-27-2008, 12:46 AM
bummer, it does seem like a little pow-wow meeting bud.

How is the tent mounting coming along?

awesome I Mounted it with rivets like 60 of them made the tent way more solid I need to drop your gun off I'll call you today
Thanks again

Beater
04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
aluminum is way different than buying steel. There are many different "blends", and some are very expensive. You must know the grades. Experienced people can tell by site what alloy it is. 6xxx/7xxx series is outrageous, while 4xxx is quite the bargain. However, 4xxx is about as strong as butter at 70 degrees.

It is quite possible that you lumped in some expensive stuff and got what you got....