PDA

View Full Version : Clutch squeal

nuclearlemon
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
mike and i put in new rear main this weekend and bolted everything back up. now the t/o bearing howls horribly. weird thing is it squeals all the time. shouldn't it only squeal when the pedal is depressed and the bearing is in contact with the fingers? it's quieter when i press the pedal or when i'm braking....louder when i'm on the throttle.:confused:

does it sound like my clutch is out of adjustment?

SteveH
04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
You should be able to wiggle the clutch fork a bit when your foot is not on the clutch. Also, if your clutch pedal has no slack, then things are too tight. Back off the nut on the slave cylinder pushrod.

Rzeppa
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
X2 on Steve's advice to check the pedal rod adjustment.

nakman
04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah but you guys are talking to the dominatrix of clutch slaves here.... I don't think it's that simple.

...not that have any idea what the problem is. :o :confused:

leiniesred
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
The only time I heard my t-out bearing was when the clutch disk got so thin, it let the fingers of the pressure plate touch the t-out bearing. It only made noise with my foot off the clutch.

I changed the clutch disk out with a used one on xmas day about 5 years ago. The noise went away. I didn't turn the flywheel, old pressure plate, the only thing that changed was the clutch disk.

timmbuck2
04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
You try turning the radio WAY up??

Red_Chili
04-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Needing a dab O' grease on the clutch fork touch points?

nuclearlemon
04-14-2008, 08:34 AM
found the bearing was touching and the rod was adjusted out as far as it could go. adjusted it in about an inch (where i've noticed most of them) and it showed about 1/8" gap. continued doing other things, went back later and it was touching again. so, i'll be calling derek to order a new return spring today.