PDA

View Full Version : Toyo MTs or BFG MT KM2s ?

Hulk
04-09-2008, 07:04 PM
So I need to buy some new tires for my 80. I'm considering these two tires:

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2

Toyo Open Country MT

Size is the same for both: 315/75 R16
Price is nearly the same.

What do you think?

Hulk
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
One question for all you Toyo owners: are the Toyos black wall on both sides, are do they have raised white letters on one side? I'm not much on the white letters.

treerootCO
04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Blackwalls on both sides! The only way to roll

Convert
04-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I have ran the BFG Mt's on several trucks with good results they wear like iron. The KM2's look awesome but I am going with TruXus MT's I want a change.

Rezarf
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
The BFG's got a great review in one of the mags. It really seems like a great tire from what I have heard.

Drew

PabloCruise
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
If the Toyo's are the same price and you can actually get them, I would go Toyo...

Disclaimer: I have never wheeled Toyos - I put some on an old girlfriends Taco and put a set on my Civic. I liked the set on the Taco and the set on the Civic have been flawless since '02.

Last I heard the Toyos were hard to get...

Romer
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Discount on Arapahoe rd near my house will deal on them and order the Toyo's

I am real happy with mine. Quiet on the highway too. Lots of MT are noisey and bumby on the highway. I was torn between the Toyo's and Coopers when I decided

nakman
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
How heavy are the BFG's? Holy cow these Toyos are heavy... get ready to man up when you lift your spare. I've read some cool stuff about the "new" style BFG muds, and I think one said they were quieter on the highway than previous. Coopers will be louder..

One argument towards BFG is if you get them we can switch and see if we can tell a difference ;).

corsair23
04-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I am real happy with mine. Quiet on the highway too. Lots of MT are noisey and bumby on the highway. I was torn between the Toyo's and Coopers when I decided

x2 - I've been very impressed with the Toyos...Aside from the weight :rolleyes:

The BFGs weren't out when I bought tires so who knows what I would have done...

AxleIke
04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, +1 for the KM2s

As soon as the next batch comes out in Sept, I'm buying a set.

wesintl
04-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Problem for me is the sizes are limited in the km2. are you going to run 315/75 issac?

I'm real close on the truxus.. I gotta see what the exhaust runs tomorrow. Then it's tires.

i'd run the toyo's on your 80.. If it were less than a dual purpose rig I'd go with the km2

Speaking of tires if anyone is getting rid of stock 80 rubber that's in good shape let me know.

Rezarf
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Problem for me is the sizes are limited in the km2. are you going to run 315/75 issac?

I'm real close on the truxus.. I gotta see what the exhaust runs tomorrow. Then it's tires.

i'd run the toyo's on your 80.. If it were less than a dual purpose rig I'd go with the km2

Speaking of tires if anyone is getting rid of stock 80 rubber that's in good shape let me know.

Wes-

I know a guy who has a full set of nothing special stocker stuff, he is desperate to get rid of it! PM me for details.

Drew

Hulk
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM

That's good advice. It is my daily driver.

AxleIke
04-10-2008, 07:46 AM

That was the first batch Wes. The second batch, IE smaller tires, is coming out in Sept 08. I called them. I don't know if they will come out with 15" rim sizes, but certainly smaller 16's.

Tch2fly
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
So I need to buy some new tires for my 80. I'm considering these two tires:

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2

Toyo Open Country MT

Size is the same for both: 315/75 R16
Price is nearly the same.

What do you think?

If those are the two choices, I'd go with the Toyo.

Like Romer I was down to Toyo and Cooper except I went Cooper and so far no complaints.

My Discount store made me a good deal even though they had to order them (Mounted/balanced with certs they were the same as the base price of the Toyo - about $40 per tire less)

RockRunner
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
One thing you may want to think about is the availability after the purchase. I blew three BF M/T's in Moab a while back and was able to replace them in town each time.

The Toyo's are great tires, had a few sets before and loved them. I did not have the M/T version but I would think they would wear well too. BFG is and always has been a good tire in my opinion and they got very good ratings as did the Toyo's so.............

Hulk
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Online Tires - ATV Inc.
Address:
2395 Tifal Avenue
Duarte, CA 91010

Again, thank you for shopping with us.

Order Details:
------------------------
Quantity: 5
Make/Model: Toyo Open Country MT
Prodcode: 360230
Size: 315/75R16
Price: $220
------------------------

Subtotal: $1100
Shipping: $131.75
Shipping Method: Fed Ex Ground
Final Total: $1231.75

I called first -- they have them in stock. Discount Tire told me they couldn't get them for 6 weeks.

treerootCO
04-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Very nice.

It took 6 days to get the tires to Colorado and 3 days for the tracking number/shipping confirmation. That was probably due to the weekend. Couldn't be happier.

nakman
04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
That's sweet Matt, looks like a good deal too. So are you going to have Discount mount & balance them? Or are you going to do them yourself in Mike's kitchen?

Hulk
04-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I wonder if Mike's kitchen issues those tire protection certificates?

treerootCO
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
That's sweet Matt, looks like a good deal too. So are you going to have Discount mount & balance them? Or are you going to do them yourself in Mike's kitchen?

heck yes! Who needs a garage? Did I mention how bad curing body filler stinks up the house?

:hill:

Romer
04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
You will be real happy with those tires Matt

Hulk
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
heck yes! Who needs a garage? Did I mention how bad curing body filler stinks up the house?

:hill:

You need a garage, d00d.

Hulk
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
You will be real happy with those tires Matt

Thanks. I was tempted to go with the KM2s just to be different. But every review I read talked about what a pleasure the Toyos are on the street, and the 80 remains my daily driver.

corsair23
04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks. I was tempted to go with the KM2s just to be different. But every review I read talked about what a pleasure the Toyos are on the street, and the 80 remains my daily driver.

Congrats! That is a heck of a price and I am sure you are going to really like them. I had mine siped and they did great in the snow and have been wearing well.

PabloCruise
04-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Online Tires - ATV Inc.
Address:
2395 Tifal Avenue
Duarte, CA 91010

Again, thank you for shopping with us.

Order Details:
------------------------
Quantity: 5
Make/Model: Toyo Open Country MT
Prodcode: 360230
Size: 315/75R16
Price: $220
------------------------

Subtotal: $1100
Shipping: $131.75
Shipping Method: Fed Ex Ground
Final Total: $1231.75

I called first -- they have them in stock. Discount Tire told me they couldn't get them for 6 weeks.

Looks like you saved a wad in tax!

Hulk
04-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Looks like the Toyos are on backorder everywhere.

Anyone have any experience with the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires?
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/images/baja_mtz.jpg

Or should I go for the BFG KM2s?

Or Coopers?

Or...?

Corbet
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
So I'm assuming your in the tire market again?

Personally I'd go Coopers before the BFG. Or the Mickey Thompson MTZ or the Dick Cepek FC II's / MT's, Or the new Pro Comp Extreme MT's

Really all the same tire with different treads as far as I know. I'm pretty sure Cooper makes them all.

$75 rebate on the micky thompson's http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/rebate/

FJBen
04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I think the Mickey's run small, from what I've heard, but other than that no real complaints.

I would run BFG's over pro-craps anyday. Now I know they've supposedly redesigned the X-treme mud, but thats too new for me to try.

MT/R's are nice, but you have experience with those on your 40 right?

I'd go Trxxus personally, and thats what I'll change too. Nay would agree :D

btw: I still have 5 BFG's for $800 :D:rolleyes:

Tch2fly
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Looks like the Toyos are on backorder everywhere.

Anyone have any experience with the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires?
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/images/baja_mtz.jpg

Or should I go for the BFG KM2s?

Or Coopers?

Or...?

I looked at the MTZ as well, I was surprised to learn that they are made by Cooper (as Corbet pointed out).
The price was close but after hearing the Stevinson has used them and had some vibration issues (but may be a customer expectation issues not tire) I was down to Cooper or Toyo.

McLovin the STTs:thumb:

PabloCruise
04-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Bummer about the backorder dude!

Hulk
04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Bought the Mickey Thompson MTZs. Here is the result:

corsair23
04-25-2008, 08:40 PM
WOW :eek:

Dang that looks nice Matt :thumb:

I'll be interested in your opinion of those MTZ tires as they were on my short list back when...