PDA

View Full Version : "From Russia with Love"

Mendocino
04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I could not resist the Bond title:cool:

I am in Moscow this week working and thought you might like to see some cruisers in famous contexts. One image is in Front of St. Basil's in Red Square, and the other is in front of the FSS, which is the new name for the KGB. I have seen some built 100s, but never could get the camera out fast enough. This is particularly surprising because the traffic in Moscow is horrible. I spent 30 minutes in the same spot on Tuesday and moved about 3'!:rant:

:cheers:

Tanglefoot
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Nice! How do you like the 200 series?

Eric

Mendocino
04-11-2008, 10:15 PM
There are lots of cruisers here. I have not seen any 40s but this is not surprsing given that the economic conditions of the country have really changed in the last 5 years. Most of the cars are new. All of the government vehicles are BMW 7 series and Mercedes S class.

There are lots of Land Cruiser Pradas, and more Land Rovers than I have seen in any other city in the world. Its really amazing.

I took a picture of a locally made Lada 4x4 for comparison.

Rezarf
04-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Cool pics Jeff, have fun!

Drew

corsair23
04-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Great pics Jeff...

Have you seen any Yugos running around? My old GF use to own one of those...We decided that they came up with the Yugo name 'cuz the dang things rarely worked, thus causing the owner to always say "My car is broken again so I can't make it...But that is alright, you go ." :lol:

Mendocino
04-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Jeff,

No Yugos. Moscow is a city of incredible opulence. Its the most expensive city in the world. My Holiday Inn room was $571 a night! :eek:

As I remember the Yugo was a product of the pre-Berlin wall destruction and were imported into the US to offset development loans. IIRC, the US DOT actually waived crash test standards so they could be imported.:(

I'm off to some intersesting places in Europe this week so i will try to add additional pictures to my Global Cruiser Quest. I tried to get some very attractive Russian gals I met in Red Square to model the Rising Sun sweatshirt I brought, but they would not go for it. More to come...:thumb:

Cheers,

Jeff

Hulk
04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Cool pics, Jeff! I'd love to go to Moscow someday.

Red_Chili
04-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I would too... but it sounds like unless it is on a company dime, it ain't happening!

Mendocino
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
To comment further on the expense of Moscow, my expense report last week was $7,000!:eek:, and this only included my air fare, room, laundry, breakfasts, one dinner and no alcohol.