PDA

View Full Version : Painting 101 Questions...

Rezarf
04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
So I took the plung,

Opted not to spray can bomb my trailer.

Bought some nice stuff at Sherwin Williams today.

Now I realized, I don't really know what I am doing on the gun side of things.

What pressure should I start the regulator at?

Treeroot and Uncle Ben have warned against water in the air lines.

I am going to shoot on Sunday and see if I can avoid huge runs and fisheyes.

I am welcoming any and all Tips! :thumb::cheers::blah::lmao:

treerootCO
04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
As Jon Kosmoski says "a good paint job is one big run" :D

Read the instructions that came with the paint. If you don't have them, go get them online or back at the store. That tells you what to reduce it with, what psi to spray at, what temperature, what humidity, basically everything.

Good paint requires hardner, reducer, etc. so make sure you have everything before you start. Recoat times are critical so make sure you have enough time before you start. Also, the better the lighting the better the paint job.

This stuff is highly flammable so DO NOT use near any ignition source.

Use as much protection as you can, the second you feel a little dumber, it is too late.

Rezarf
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Yup, once I checked the stuff in the box, I had a full print out sheet of all the data needed to get started. I have a full resperator and swim goggles ;)

I have it all, hardener (crazy expensive), paint, reducer, prep, self etching primer, primer reducer, mixing cups, filters, stir sticks... lots of stuff.

Mike, how much did you mix at a time? I am kinda thinking I might shoot one box first then the other to get my feet wet.

rover67
04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
do it in the morning when the air is still and clean. make sure you have the right reducer for the temp and humitudty outside.

Uncle Ben
04-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Shooting the primer will get you excited as it's very easy! Don't fret to much! You'll do a fine job! Painting is fun once you get the prep outta the way!

RockRunner
04-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Clean, clean, clean and when you think it is clean clean it again. If you are doing it in your garage sweep it out then mop it. Dust kills a nice paint job. When you are ready to shoot make sure you have everything you need nearby, having to stop during spraying to get something or move something can mess with your paint, timing and create more dust.

Did you buy enough tack clothes? Enough cleaner for your gun and to wipe down the trailer again and again, can you say fish-eyes??

Cover anything and everything from over spray, DAMHIK ;-)

Remember, if you mess up you can always fix it. The prep work takes longer than the actual shooting, enjoy and have some one take lots of pictures.

Beater
04-12-2008, 07:42 AM
clean clean clean... acetone is your friend... you will need several gallons. Also a clean air source to blow with, as well as paint.

I apprenticed for this slacker as a boy:

http://www.henleyskustompainting.com/

Rezarf
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Do I need to get all the "mill finishe" or whatever it is off all the tubing? Or can I clean it until I am not getting any residue and call it good?

Frame only here, the body is ready to roll. Thanks!

Drew

Beater
04-13-2008, 08:30 AM
paint will NOT adhere to mill scale. Think of mill scale like chrome. Actually, it is very similar.
VERY hard, and NOT porous. Paint needs an uneven surface to adhere to. You are more than welcome to my media blaster, though you will need a good amount of air, at least a 26gal compressor with around 6.5 cfm.

j

Rezarf
04-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Sounds good, I have scraped all of it off now. Didn't seem right to start to skimp now.

Shiny metal here I come!

Hulk
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
how much did you mix at a time?

Mix small amounts. It doesn't take much paint to get a solid coat. With the hardener, the stuff won't keep -- you must shoot it or throw it out.

The prep work on my doors was an eternity. The paint went on pretty quick.

You can practice on a cardboard box or a metal garbage can. Keep the gun moving. The first coat will seem like nothing is there, but don't be deceived.