PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else addicted to Google Earth?

Tch2fly
04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I may need an intervention:eek:

I have always loved looking at maps and aerial photos and now its all at my keyboard.

I started by looking for all the fascinating things "frozen" in time but I'm starting to educate myself on the things that it can do.

As we acquire gps tracks of trails I may start asking for the files so I can upload them and plot the tracks in GE. I going to use mine at Moab.

I did a couple trails by hand.

Since we are in the process of taking on Iron Chest I thought I would post up a screen shot of what I got. (I also did Grizzly Lake since it came up at the last meeting)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/RisingSun/ironchest.jpg

I think the profile view is pretty cool...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/RisingSun/ic1.jpg

This is Holy Cross. I found it interesting that GE shows the placement of the city quite a way from the cabin site found the along trail.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/RisingSun/hctrail.jpg

I need to learn more about making .KML files that can be shared.

nuclearlemon
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
nope...every time i google my address it's from before i owned the house. i've been here almost six years now. i prefer maps.live.com

Tch2fly
04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Google Earth and Google Maps are very different.

They have done a recent update to Google Maps and the "Street view" data has been expanded.
Sure looks like a piggy back there to me :D

wesintl
04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I've checked out a bunch of utah on wikimapia. GE is nice though

JadeRunner
04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Those maps are cool. How often do they update pictures in general.

Here is a picture of Grizzly Lake from the ridge near the Pomeroy Lake Trailhead.

RockRunner
04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
From what Google earth says every 5 years. It also depends on the area, city maps are updated more often than say back country areas.

If you check all the maps for the same address you will see totally different data unless they use the same mapping satellites.

nuclearlemon
04-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Google Earth and Google Maps are very different.

They have done a recent update to Google Maps and the "Street view" data has been expanded.
Sure looks like a piggy back there to me :D

definitely a newer pic...last eight months or so. i had google earth, but never the 3d deal. i tried to download that, but either my computer locked up, or it was taking forever, so i cancelled. never heard of google maps.

Tch2fly
04-14-2008, 08:32 AM
definitely a newer pic...last eight months or so. i had google earth, but never the 3d deal. i tried to download that, but either my computer locked up, or it was taking forever, so i cancelled. never heard of google maps.

I guess I assumed you were talking about using Google Maps to find addresses (it is like mapquest). It doesn't have the same resolution as GE but in certain areas it has the "street View" like I used on your house.

GE has a tremendous amount of content, I keep finding more interesting stuff as I play with the sidebar. The 3d view does eat up a lot of computer resources it works better on my home comp then office (the views of Moab are pretty cool).

This is the kind of stuff I started out looking for....

an airplane near the top of a loop

Tch2fly
04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Those maps are cool. How often do they update pictures in general.

Here is a picture of Grizzly Lake from the ridge near the Pomeroy Lake Trailhead.

They just did a big update of the images and my house shows up now, so 5 years sounds about right. I know that they are also getting higher resolution images over a much larger area now.

Nice picture, I have one from almost the same spot. This is from my last trip up there
http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/9319575.jpg

Rogue Leader
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Been using it to predict storms headed our way with the Modis satellite images and Doppler radar information.