PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to hurt my FJ40

thenimirra
04-13-2008, 11:17 PM
The more I learn about it, the more I recognize just a rare treasure my 1963 FJ40 REALLY is. I don't want to bang her up on a trail...

SOOOOO

I think I should either get a newer model that's already built and drivable or get a Jeep to kick around so I can make the FJ40 my DD. What do you think? Anybody know where I can get a good deal on something?

nuclearlemon
04-13-2008, 11:40 PM
The more I learn about it, the more I recognize just a rare treasure my 1963 FJ40 REALLY is. I don't want to bang her up on a trail...

SOOOOO

I think I should either get a newer model that's already built and drivable or get a Jeep to kick around so I can make the FJ40 my DD. What do you think? Anybody know where I can get a good deal on something?

great idea on not banging up that baby. jeep vs. fj40...well, you know what most of us will say, but you could probably pick up a decently built heep for the price of a project fj40. better still, get an fj60. they've gotten real cheap and wheel like crazy :)

thenimirra
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
hmmm...keep a look out for me Ige if you see something. I pulled my ignition switch out tonight and I'm gonna take it down to Dire's so I can get a key.

Mendocino
04-14-2008, 03:03 AM
thenimirra,

My offer to do some sort of swap with your 40 and my 73 40 still stands...:)

:cheers:

Jeff

thenimirra
04-14-2008, 06:55 AM
hahahahaha...

I have a better idea...why don't you give me a price for your 40 and I will keep my 40 too! ;)

subzali
04-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know how far you have to drive on a daily basis, but if I only had my 40 to drive to work it would break the bank pretty quick. Keeping your 40 stock, because it already is and it's a piece of history, is a good idea, but that's not to say not to take it on ANY trail - the Cruiser gods look down and smile upon any Cruiser that leaves pavement behind in search of its natural surroundings. So the BOWAGWR, the 40s only runs, probably even the Ghost Town Run etc. would be good fits to take your 40 out in the wild without taking a chance of damage.

It's almost like you need three cars though - a Honda Civic that gets 45 mpg for a DD, a nice bone stock FJ40 that you can take the top off and tool around in the summertime on the streets, and a built wheeler that can handle 95+% of the trails out there. The other 5% is for that special group that take thing to the limit.

That being said, I would try to pick up a 60 or an 80 for cheap - the wagons have more road-trip appeal, plus they have greater cargo capacity, plus with them being newer replacement parts are generally easier to come by and there are a lot more people who are familiar with them and can help keep it in tip-top shape for DD service.

:twocents:

Mendocino
04-14-2008, 09:22 AM
thenimirra,

PM sent.

MDH33
04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Although rare because of it's age and condition, I don't agree that you shouldn't "restofy" it and use it on the trails. Early 40's are not nearly as desirable as later model 40's. There A Lot of trails you can enjoy with a stock 40.

yeep? :eek: no way. Fix your 40 and enjoy it for what it was meant for. If your intent is to trash your rig on the trail and wheel hardcore trails, then maybe consider getting a buggy or something.

my :twocents:

Uncle Ben
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
It's almost like you need three cars though - a Honda Civic that gets 45 mpg for a DD, a nice bone stock FJ40 that you can take the top off and tool around in the summertime on the streets, and a built wheeler that can handle 95+% of the trails out there. The other 5% is for that special group that take thing to the limit.

Sounds like all you need is an 80! :rolleyes: Will do 95% of the trails out there in near stock form, moon roof, 4-5 mpg....perfect! :lmao:

Red_Chili
04-14-2008, 09:38 AM
...Will do 95% of the trails out there in near stock form, ...:confused:
I was bumfuzzled about this until I remembered Kevin's JATO unit he uses for those really tricky obstacles.

rover67
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Restore it, and drive it on trails.

Just go on trails that have low risk of damage. I think the feeling of satisfaction you'll get from taking that rig out on even the easiest trail will make it worth everything you will have put into it by restoring it. Sitting on a pass looking around thinking "yeah, that rig... the one I built... it got me here" is a pretty sweet feeling.

if you want to buy somethign else that is built already so you can get to the trails quicker, then buy anything else (toyota) you bump into that is a good deal.... which as it was said above could be a 60..

i think that ultimately, that 40 will be what you want with you on the trail though.... because you worked on it.

wesintl
04-14-2008, 12:12 PM
There are plenty of trails that a stocker like that can do. The problem is driving that old thing in stock form to and from a trail will not be fun. I agree buying a 60 or 80 (we won't go into the j@#P thang) will be a better choice to find out what wheeling is all about. The 40 will be great to find out what wrenching is all about and when it's done, some mild trails.

subzali
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Or (and I yes I'm going into this knowing full well the ramifications of it) look into a 4runner or Tacoma. There I said it.

Red_Chili
04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Beat me to it...

thenimirra
04-14-2008, 01:13 PM
whoo hoo getting a key made for my FJ right now!

hijack over. ;)

MDH33
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
whoo hoo getting a key made for my FJ right now!

hijack over. ;)

you can't hijack your own thread! :p:

Rezarf
04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Keep the 40. Drive one vehicle, the gas, insurance, maintence on multiple vehicles adds up, I tried it for 4 years and I came out ahead with moderate mods and decisions built around driveability, fuel milage, and comfort.

I say get it tuned like a top. Drive it everyday for the summer and see if you "need" something else. I bet you'd be suprised at what a stock 40 can do on the trails with a good driver behind the wheel.

Just another .02

Hulk
04-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Even with a mild lift and bigger tires, you won't need to cut the body or do anything radical. It's possible to improve your old '63 without butchering it. Here is a list of things you can do that will improve performance without turning it into a radical rock crawler:

Swap in 1976 or later axles, so you get disc brakes up front
Lock-Right locker in rear diff
mild lift (2.5")
bigger tires (32")

And I agree with all that has been said about a stock FJ40: they are mighty capable in stock form.