PDA

View Full Version : Fender flares... gasket?

Rezarf
04-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Does something go between the fender flares and the body on a 40. I have a set that a fellow mudder gave me and I was thinking of putting them on before Moab.

Do I need something between the body and flare? Maybe a strip of rubber or something. I seem to remember something like going on, but I don't have anything like that.

What should I use? Can I run it without it?

Thanks!

corsair23
04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't know if it is required but my flares have "welting" behind then. If you're familiar with what welting is in the furniture world it is the same type thing, only a rubber compound. Sort of a flat piece maybe a 1/2-3/4" wide by 'x' number of feet long with a round raised edge (bead) on one side...

I have these --> BTB flares (http://store.btbprod.com/detail.aspx?ID=66) I believe (PO install) and you can't really see the welting in the picture but the raise round edge is on the outside edge of the flare with the flat section sitting under the flare where it attaches to the body.

EDIT: Looks like it is called fender welting (http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBS_enUS251US251&q=fender+welting&um=1) :)

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Anyone know where to source some of this locally?

Thanks!

Drew

Rezarf
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Never mind, they were sitting next to the flares the whole time! :doh: :lmao:

Red_Chili
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
CM prep syndrome. :lmao:
Have you seen my 8mm open/box by the way? :doh:

BD products on S. Broadway has lots of trim items BTW, FWIW. LOTS. New carpet kits too.

Rezarf
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Bd?

DaveInDenver
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
B-D Products on south Broadway. They have a big ol' ugly Jeep painted on their windows, they do soft tops. But interior stuff, 3M, fasteners...they have it all. I get the bulb seal and some other junk for the WilderNest top from them.

http://www.b-dco.com
1361 S. Broadway (just south of Louisiana St.)
(303) 744-1405

http://dsimage.dexknows.com/previews/DNVY/DEFAULT_C857357_thumb.jpg

corsair23
04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
You know what we need? A list of all the shops (big and small) that the RS members know about and what they sell/offer. Maybe sorted into categories so a person could reference the list and find a potential source for what they are looking for? It could even be sorted by locale (North, South, East, West) so a person could locate stuff in their area.

If people are willing to PM me lists of shops they use/like and what they sell/offer I'd be willing to make up a spreadsheet with the information and post it up :thumb:

Categories like CO2, Drive Shaft Repair, Body Trim Parts, Connectors, Hardware, Radio Equipment, Engine Work, Exhaust Work, Body Work, etc. etc. etc.

Seems like there are a ton of places I never heard about and probably wouldn't stand a chance of finding without some help from those in the know :D

Rezarf
04-22-2008, 04:23 PM
You know what we need? A list of all the shops (big and small) that the RS members know about and what they sell/offer. Maybe sorted into categories so a person could reference the list and find a potential source for what they are looking for? It could even be sorted by locale (North, South, East, West) so a person could locate stuff in their area.

If people are willing to PM me lists of shops they use/like and what they sell/offer I'd be willing to make up a spreadsheet with the information and post it up :thumb:

Categories like CO2, Drive Shaft Repair, Body Trim Parts, Connectors, Hardware, Radio Equipment, Engine Work, Exhaust Work, Body Work, etc. etc. etc.

Seems like there are a ton of places I never heard about and probably wouldn't stand a chance of finding without some help from those in the know :D

sounds AWESZOME!

zornff
04-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey Drew, Glad you found the welting. I thought i gave you all of the pieces including the 4000 + screws ;). Mike

Rezarf
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Drew, Glad you found the welting. I thought i gave you all of the pieces including the 4000 + screws ;). Mike

And the generous member has been revealed! Can you believe I am just getting around to this?

Thanks again Mike! :thumb::cheers: