PDA

View Full Version : Accessorie outlet: wire gauge for ARB freezer?

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I installed an aux power outlet into my tuffy to run my ARB freezer. It is the older 43qt size. Corbets recent thread got me thinking and I was wondering what gauge wire I should use from my aux fuse block to the fridge. This will be a dedicated line, with no other accessories on it.

I know this fridge draws a little more than the newer style. I am thinking 14ag. would be fine. I am running maybe 10 feet of wire tops. I could just over do it and install heavy wire, but that is wasting $$$$$$$ :blah:

I am not sure what kind of power this thing draws, I think I remember about 4 amps or so?

Thanks!

Drew

Tch2fly
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I installed an aux power outlet into my tuffy to run my ARB freezer. It is the older 43qt size. Corbets recent thread got me thinking and I was wondering what gauge wire I should use from my aux fuse block to the fridge. This will be a dedicated line, with no other accessories on it.

I know this fridge draws a little more than the newer style. I am thinking 14ag. would be fine. I am running maybe 10 feet of wire tops. I could just over do it and install heavy wire, but that is wasting $$$$$$$ :blah:

I am not sure what kind of power this thing draws, I think I remember about 4 amps or so?

Thanks!

Drew

For some reason I remember seeing something in my fridge (an Engel) paperwork calling for a minimum of 10 awg.

I'll have to go dig it out and check

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Here is a shot of the new 12v outlet in the backside of the tuffy...

It is a Marinco locking outlet, where you can plug the accessory in and twist it to lock it in place and it won't wiggle out. :thumb:

Hulk
04-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Here is a shot of the new 12v outlet in the backside of the tuffy...

It is a Marinco locking outlet, where you can plug the accessory in and twist it to lock it in place and it won't wiggle out. :thumb:

Cool. Do you need a special plug for that feature?

You and Corbet have both found some really nice 12v outlets!

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Cool. Do you need a special plug for that feature?

You and Corbet have both found some really nice 12v outlets!

Matt you do need a special plug to use that feature but it will be nice for the fridge since I won't really be able to keep an eye on it. I found a guy on Ebay and wheel'd and deal'd with him for a while and got three of these outlets shipped for 15bucks! :eek:

They go for nearly that a peice at West Marine. I can dig the guys info up if you want.

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
FWIW, I was on ARB's site and they said the fridges draw 2.7 amps... that is less than a standart headlight, and most factory wiring in my cruiser is around 16ga...

I think my older version is around 4-5amps draw intermitent...:blah:

Tch2fly
04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
FWIW from my Engel owners guide

Rezarf
04-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the info, and looking that up for me! :thumb:

this chart (http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm) seems to say that a wire as small as 14awg would work fine... man, wire has gotten EXPENSIVE in the past few years! That or our dollar continues to spiral out of control! :(

Doesn't 10 seem like overkill? Just asking, not trying to knock the install sheets :thumb:

Tch2fly
04-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the info, and looking that up for me! :thumb:

this chart (http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm) seems to say that a wire as small as 14awg would work fine... man, wire has gotten EXPENSIVE in the past few years! That or our dollar continues to spiral out of control! :(

Doesn't 10 seem like overkill? Just asking, not trying to knock the install sheets :thumb:

I'm not sure why they call for 10. I think 14 can carry the load but maybe they are concerned about current. I know they had some notes about not using inverters for some reason (regulated current or :blah: :blah:) but I didn't really read that part:o

At 5 amps the difference in voltage drop over 10' is only about 1.3%, that doesn't seem like a significant drop but what do I know:hill:

Corbet
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I does not make sense to me why Engel would recommend 10 AWG? With a 2.7amp draw that seems overkill.

I'd run 12 maybe even 14 if all your going to run on that circuit is your fridge. The only reason I ran 10 AWG back to my cargo outlets is for future expansion. Some day I'll probably install an inverter back there.

Just make sure what ever you do, route your circuit so thats its protected form heat as much as possible.

Rezarf
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Mike, thanks for all your help. I will probably drop the coin for the 10-12ga stuff... no need to burn up a kerbillion dollar fridge over a few bucks now :D

Thanks for your help bud.

treerootCO
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
http://www.i-m-d.com/engel/Tech.htm
shows the power consumption for each model.

Tch2fly
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
No problem
(just don't tell anybody I was actually reading the instruction book ;) )

Not even sure why the 10 awg thing even stuck in my head.

Red_Chili
04-16-2008, 10:37 AM
You'll need much bigger than 10AWG for a decent inverter... (Corbet)

Hope you fellers have a robust alternator and two batteries!

(Note to self: pack jumper cables for CM08)

Rezarf
04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
You'll need much bigger than 10AWG for a decent inverter...

Hope you fellers have a robust alternator and two batteries!

(Note to self: pack jumper cables for CM08)

No plans for an inverter, that is why I built a trailer! :hill:

Just trying to wire a dedicated line for my fridge nothing more, nothing less. These things are AMAZINGLY efficient. :thumb:

Corbet
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
You'll need much bigger than 10AWG for a decent inverter... (Corbet)

No plans for a big one. I've got a couple of cheapos floating around the garage somewhere that are deigned to be plugged into a cig lighter. So I'm assuming they will not draw too much. Guess I should have checked :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
The cig lighter ones should be fine. I use one for my laptop when needed.

nakman
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
So they recommend plugging into the cigarette lighter, but if you want to run wire use 10ga? Like the stuff feeding the lighter is anywhere close to 10ga...

RockRunner
04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
If you still have the info I would love it, need to install some in the back of the 4Runner and DD for the new Engel on the way.

Matt you do need a special plug to use that feature but it will be nice for the fridge since I won't really be able to keep an eye on it. I found a guy on Ebay and wheel'd and deal'd with him for a while and got three of these outlets shipped for 15bucks! :eek:

They go for nearly that a peice at West Marine. I can dig the guys info up if you want.

Rezarf
04-16-2008, 09:27 PM
So they recommend plugging into the cigarette lighter, but if you want to run wire use 10ga? Like the stuff feeding the lighter is anywhere close to 10ga...

Man, all the research I have done is leading to 16awg would cover it no problem... and the wire on the factory plug from ARB can't be any bigger than 14 MAX!

And I agree Nak, the cig outlets are NO WHERE near 10ga. I am going to run 14ga and burn the truck down... :thumb::lmao:

Three Wheel Ben
04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Drew,

I think I ran 14 awg wire 12 ft for my fridge 1.5 years ago and have had zero problems. I know some of the guys on mud thought it was too small. I measured voltage drop in back and I was only losing like .15v. For all of my work cars I have just been using the rear power outlets and they are only 18 awg and still haven't had a problem.

Look at the main wire on your alternator it is 10-12 gauge and they were planning on 40-60 amps. Even the new stuff with 80-100 is only 8-10 gauge. So I think you'll be fine.

I measured the amp draw once on the fridges and it is 2.7 at compressor start up (highest load) it stabilizes at 2.2 amps.

hth

Rezarf
04-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Drew,

I think I ran 14 awg wire 12 ft for my fridge 1.5 years ago and have had zero problems. I know some of the guys on mud thought it was too small. I measured voltage drop in back and I was only losing like .15v. For all of my work cars I have just been using the rear power outlets and they are only 18 awg and still haven't had a problem.

Look at the main wire on your alternator it is 10-12 gauge and they were planning on 40-60 amps. Even the new stuff with 80-100 is only 8-10 gauge. So I think you'll be fine.

I measured the amp draw once on the fridges and it is 2.7 at compressor start up (highest load) it stabilizes at 2.2 amps.

hth

Ben! Thanks man, good to hear from you bud. I was thinking that this makes perfect sense, my 40 has a 10ga wire to the entire fuse panel, I thought that gauge would work well.

thanks man! :thumb:

Rezarf
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Bought 14awg wire today. High strand, high quality, I won't need but about 8' to my outlet. The numbers don't justify anything beefier, not even a constant load rating.

When I smell smoke, I will retract this statement! :D

Drew