PDA

View Full Version : what do you know about web cameras?

nakman
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I want to hook up a camera at home, and be able to see what it sees from anywhere, including my phone. I'll want to have a link to it from my web site, and I may or may not want this to be a secure thing (requiring password), but would like that option. Check this one out..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2074982&Sku=L48-2476

Anyone know about this stuff? I don't need "record" ability, I will likely get a better, separate system for that.. unless it's easy to integrate the two? Really we just want to see if it's sunny, snowing, on fire, did the guy deliver the siding like he said he would, did UPS come, etc. For $250 I'm tempted to just try this one, but figure someone here must know more about these than I do. :D

edit: the feature that really jumps out as cool to me is this one: You can also turn on Security Mode, which tells the camera to send a message with a short video attached to up to three email addresses whenever it detects motion in its field of view. You can then log onto the live video stream if the situation warrants.

So someone comes up my driveway, this thing records them, then sends that to me in an email. how cool is that?

4RunrFTW
04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I used to do this sort of thing for a living, and that linksys cam has features you used to have to pay $800 for in a dedicated video server from Axis. The one you're looking at doesn't have a built-in IR lamp, so it won't see in the dark stock. If you added an IR lamp, the camera does have the CCD to pick it up. The PTZ range is limited, it has a 125 deg horizontal field, and a 60 degree vertical field. Also, it does have what appears to be a sealed dome, but the connectors are exposed. If you're mounting it outside, you'd want an external (heated around here) dome for it. One reviewer mentions that all PTZ functions are control via ActiveX = Internet Exploder only. I've been a fan of Axis communications gear for years. For a long time I just ended up buying Panasonic or GE camera equipment, then putting an axis video server in line with the video output from the camera.

My $.02,
Cale

nakman
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey thanks, good stuff! Yeah I saw the IE-only deal, but oh well... I was thinking of making a little birdhouse for it to keep it out of the rain, but would likely just bring it inside for the winter.

I'll check out the Axis stuff, but that looks a little more tech than I need to get into, like I'd need to have it hooked up to a server? sweet looking stuff though http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/ptz/index.htm

treerootCO
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Most high end video cards for PC already have the software for recording and email notifications.