PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Dis Parking Brake Question

LETSROLL
04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone on here can help me figure out where I can go to get some parts for my 40.

I bought a 40 that the parking brake doesn't work. I've determined the caliper and pads are missing/need replacement. CCOT doesn't offer the parts. Any suggestions?

Thanks, LETSROLL

Tanglefoot
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Does it really have a disc parking brake? That might be an aftermarket thing but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be missing calipers and pads.

If it's stock, it'll have drum brakes in the back. It took me a while to get the parking brake working on the 4Runner. Assuming it's the same sort of deal, there should be a steel cable suspended just over the rear axle that's attatched to a little arm that goes through the backing plate on each side. On mine, one of the arms had completly siezed up and the other one didn't move very easily. It's not too tough to take out that arm assembly...just pull the wheel and the brake drum, unhook the linkage from the arm inbetween the brake shoes and take out the two 12mm bolts that go through the backing plate from the inside. I managed to get both arms freed up with a lot of penetrating oil and moving them back and forth. You could also just find replacements--a good junkyard item.

If the arms are moving freely and the cable isn't seized somewhere from the brake handle to the back of the truck, the shoes may just need to be adjusted. There's a star wheel inside an access slot toward the bottom of the backing plate (or between the lower ends of the brake shoes if the drum's been removed). Adjust that to move the shoes toward the drum a little. Not so much that the brakes heat up while you're driving but just enough to give them a firm bite when you pull the e-brake handle.

I hope this is the same between a mini truck and FJ-40. If not, ignore all that! :thumb:

MDH33
04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
What year is it? Most 40's have a drum parking brake system behind the TC.

LETSROLL
04-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I believe it was an after market conversion. It's definately disc and it's missing the caliper and pads. I would prefer to not have to convert it back to drum - although I have found kits for that.

Why would the previous owners(s) do the conversion? Does the disc work better?

DaveInDenver
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
CCOT probably doesn't have parts because it's not their kit.

Looks like this one from MAF?

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/discparkbrakeconvkit.htm

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/parts_pictures/46550-dskkit.jpg

I think Specter also used to sell a disc brake conversion, maybe others. Let the Cruiser guys fill you in since I dunno.

LETSROLL
04-16-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW, here's a pic ofmy new ride. It's almost stock. Not very much rest. The Tub is in great shape and he interior is clean. Someone either re-did this truck or kept it clean!

farnhamstj
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Arn't subaru brakes sometimes used in that aplication? What about some kind of motorcycle brake?

LETSROLL
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey, that looks like he deal. Specter, huh?

Thanks!!!!

DaveInDenver
04-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey, that looks like he deal. Specter, huh?

Thanks!!!!
No, Man-A-Fre. Although SOR I think used to have one, but it's discontinued AFAIK. But most likely Man-A-Fre. Nice truck, uber clean.

MDH33
04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Wow, great looking 40. What's the story if it's a recent acquisition? :thumb:

wesintl
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
OEM toyota.... Burt, stevinson, Boulder toyota :D What year is it. It's a late model, parking brake could be on case or on the rear wheels.

LETSROLL
04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Believe it or not, I picked it up on Ebay from a seller in Oregon.

corsair23
04-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Believe it or not, I picked it up on Ebay from a seller in Oregon.

Was it one of Shane's (AATLAS1X) finds? He seems to locate some real keepers out there :thumb:

farnhamstj
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM
nice rig.

Red_Chili
04-17-2008, 08:42 AM
OEM toyota.... Burt, stevinson, Boulder toyota :D What year is it. It's a late model, parking brake could be on case or on the rear wheels.
Tell me more about that... I am running an All-Pro conversion disk ebrake that works ok but you can't get pads for it, you have to buy a whole new caliper. If I could convert it to stock Toyota... well then. That would be a significant improvement.

Veeeeery clean 40 BTW. Very nice.

LETSROLL
04-17-2008, 10:10 AM
It was totally a random find. I bought it, paid for it and then waited 6 weeks for the weather to clear across the Oregon mountain passes before going to get it and then driving it back to Boulder 1459 miles. It got to SLC and heard we were getting 2 feet of snow along the I70 corridor so I bought new tires (el cheapo's) and got to Steamboat and hunkered down for a few days and then drove home. She ran strong! No radio and lots of road noise so I was kind of deaf for a day or two:)
Very minor interior rust along the headliner area, but nothing a little TLC can't stop. The instrument panel has some slight oxidation occuring inside the glass, but I hear can deal with that, too. Currently no radio, just the stock hole. The motor has been worked on and there's a dual bbl carb. All the polution control stuff has been removed and it has a header. We'll see if that's a problem when I have it inspected next week.

I look forward to bringing her out to an event or the club meeting after you guys get back from CM08.

Hulk
04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Great looking truck! What a beauty!

Rzeppa
04-18-2008, 05:20 PM
From the bezel, that would be a 79 or newer FJ40. In 1980, they went to the split t-case and moved the parking brake from behind the t-case to the rear drums.

Normally that disk conversion either for folks who do an H55F conversion on a 79 or older rig, or for folks with a 79 or older rig who don't want to maintain/repair their drum t-case parking brake (probably more of the latter than the former :-). I don't know if that MAF conversion will even work on a 1980 or newer with split case, however I know the earlier drum t-case mounted brake was available to non-USA markets for split cases.

I would contact Man-A-Fre and see if they have the parts you need. If they don't, then see what's wrong with the rear drum parking brake and repair with OEM parts. If it were my rig, I'd do the latter first anyway. And if it were a 1979 that came with the t-case mounted drum, I'd go back to stock.

If you could give the month/year of production on your 40, and post a photo of the parking brake and of inside of the rear drum, we'd be able to help you more precisely.

Rzeppa
04-18-2008, 05:22 PM
All the polution control stuff has been removed and it has a header. We'll see if that's a problem when I have it inspected next week.

That will be a major problem if you have no smog pump - no matter what your numbers are you'll flunk the visual.

LETSROLL
04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Ouch. The inspection stuff has me a bit scared. We'll see what happens...

I'll take pics of the brake this weekend.

It's a 1980 that was built in 1979.

farnhamstj
04-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I may still have a smog pump and some other parts somewhere. PM me.

Rzeppa
04-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Ouch. The inspection stuff has me a bit scared. We'll see what happens...

I'll take pics of the brake this weekend.

It's a 1980 that was built in 1979.
I need to correct myself: I just looked it up and according to Rob Mullen's FAQ the split case was introduced with the 1981 model year, so yours would have been the solid case, which would have had the drum brake behind the t-case. That means you can go back to stock parking brake pretty easily if you wanted to.

On the emissions, there are 2 things you need to pass: Visual and actual emissions. 1981 and older can have the old "sniffer test", but stations that do these are becoming harder and harder to find. Otherwise you have to go to the monopoly "Envirotest" and have the treadmill test.

For either test, no matter what smog equipment is there and working properly or not, it will still have to pass and be under the maximum CO and HC readings. This means it has to be running well enough to pass. In fact, oddly enough, to minimize emissions the rig must be detuned somewhat - retarding optimum static timing back to the stock 7 BTDC, leaning the idle mixture a bit (not so lean as to get "lean misfire"), etc. You'll want a recent tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, PCV valve), new air filter element, recent oil change, and adding a bunch of methanol ("heet", "dry gas", etc.) to a nearly empty fuel tank helps too.

For the visual they will check:
(1) Presence of and appearance of operation of smog pump (it doesn't really have to work, but the belt needs to be installed and the pump spinning, and the hoses connected)
(2) Filler neck size (for unleaded)
(3) Presence of cat
(4) No visible smoke is allowed

Stock emissions had EGR, but in Colorado this is NOT necessary!

LETSROLL
04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Lots of great information here. Thanks very much!

MDH33
04-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Because you're pre-81 and can go to one of the privately owned pre-81 emissions shops, I would definately go that route. My 73 passed with no smog pump or equipment and a header. I used the shop on the corner of Federal and 37th ave behind the tire shop. :thumb:

farnhamstj
04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry, dug through the junk today and I must have thrown the smog pump out.