PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek Work Day: NEED VOLUNTEERS

AxleIke
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I'd like to make this an event for a bunch of us.

Details are this:

We have scheduled a Forrest Service Rep to come up with us on July 26th.

We are meeting her at the Country Store in Rollinsville at 9am.

What we need to do:

Fix the Kiosk. Bill should get a chance to do some sweet stuff with his new On Board Welder/power. We need to cut off the top, add some beams, and put up Plywood. We have the beams, the Forrest Service has the wood. It will be ready.

Also, the post and cable we put up has been vandalized, either accidentally or otherwise. Several of the posts were in softer dirt, and have been rammed so they are over. We need winches to pull the posts back, and then people will fill/pack dirt/rock in behind them.

So, My thought would be to make this a big to do. Perhaps we can plan on BBQ'ing up there (weather permitting) after the work is done? We can run Jenny Creek, or whatever, as well.

We're looking for as many people as we can get. The post and cable part will require the majority, and the kiosk less. But lets make a big showing.

If we have enough, we could get a small group to GPS the extra routes and stuff. Bill knows more about those routes than I do, as I always treated them as off trail (sorry to anyone I misled). But the more we get done, the better.

So, sign up!

Beater
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
the top does not need to be cut, unless the sun logo itself is being removed. A 5lb bfh will remove the lid from the hinges.

subzali
04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
John, I am not 100% on the details, but it sounded to me like the Forest Service did not like the sun shadowcast and wants it to be removed. :(

As far as the whole thing goes, I think it would be a great opportunity, if an effort isn't made beforehand, to do a camping trip and GPS the trails, probably on Sunday after the work is done. Either way, I would think that a setup like last year would be fun, to incorporate a camping trip into the whole deal.

I was bummed we couldn't get a sooner date, but their planners were booked and they didn't feel that the snow was going to be melted out before July.

AxleIke
04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah, not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that the sun logo has to go.

They said the trail wouldn't likely be open until late june, early july, and we wanted to avoid the 4th and the ghost town run.

Uncle Ben
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
John, I am not 100% on the details, but it sounded to me like the Forest Service did not like the sun shadowcast and wants it to be removed. :(

As far as the whole thing goes, I think it would be a great opportunity, if an effort isn't made beforehand, to do a camping trip and GPS the trails, probably on Sunday after the work is done. Either way, I would think that a setup like last year would be fun, to incorporate a camping trip into the whole deal.

I was bummed we couldn't get a sooner date, but their planners were booked and they didn't feel that the snow was going to be melted out before July.

I will be happy to lead an earlier pre-work party up there and we can scope out the issues and help coordinate and possibly make some repairs. I will be in Sydney Australia on the 24th so that date doesn't work for me.

subzali
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
:doh: But I will head up there with you on a scoping party UB! Probably pretty soon after Rubithon eh?

Uncle Ben
04-17-2008, 11:15 PM
:doh: But I will head up there with you on a scoping party UB! Probably pretty soon after Rubithon eh?

Yup! Wanted to take the ATV this week but instead I burned today and got another check on my Rubithon list checked off!

Red_Chili
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Count me in for 7/26! I would suggest an overnighter, with campers, to destress and to add to the fun factor. It is a great place to camp and work.

Yes, the shadowcast must be removed. It caused governmental heartache. It is what it is.

As far as the post and cable repairs, these can be done over the course of a couple outings if the schedule is too tight for one day. But there is really not that big of an area to address, even GPSing it.

Very doable.

AxleIke
04-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Thats 3. More needed!

corsair23
04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I would LOVE to actually get to see the area everyone talks so highly about and actually help for a change but I'll be in Ouray with the family :(

timmbuck2
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Hmm...as the Jenny Creek trail boss I would love to mae it up there for both trips...and any other trips we need. Just let me know............

T

subzali
04-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey man, it's your show - we just had to set up the date with the Forest Service! :thumb:

Red_Chili
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Hmm...as the Jenny Creek trail boss I would love to mae it up there for both trips...and any other trips we need. Just let me know............

T
The boss hath spoken!!
:bowdown:
Let us know what you need Timm!

timmbuck2
04-18-2008, 11:11 AM
The boss hath spoken!!
:bowdown:
Let us know what you need Timm!

/sarcasm off

:)

Just sayin I will always be there when we need Jenny Creek help. Sorry I could not make the Boulder meeting, the wife was out of town and babysitters have been hard to come by lately.

T

timmbuck2
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I will be happy to lead an earlier pre-work party up there and we can scope out the issues and help coordinate and possibly make some repairs. I will be in Sydney Australia on the 24th so that date doesn't work for me.

I will be happy to join you whenever you can do a pre-run. I will be around the 4th and the weekend of the ghost run, I think......

T

Beater
04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
My suggestion for the top.

Angle grinder with cut off wheel to remove the sun pieces, then grind down the remaining weld... That will definitely be the easiest. 24 grit wheels I will donate, but no cut off wheels to spare.

someone bringing a generator?

j

Jacket
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the weekend after I get back from Michigan, so I'd like to help out. Mark me down...

powderpig
04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
If I am in town, I will be able to help. Robin and I have not planned our summer trip yet. We were going to AK, but have decided to spend the money on the house this summer and get it in better shape and maybe a garage. So we are going on a short trip on the back roads of northern colorado and wyoming. Just do not know the dates yet. If I am around I will help with other dates as well. later Robbie

AxleIke
04-20-2008, 11:02 PM
someone bringing a generator?

j

Bill's Truck.

Rezarf
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Count me in for 7/26! I would suggest an overnighter, with campers, to destress and to add to the fun factor. It is a great place to camp and work.

Yes, the shadowcast must be removed. It caused governmental heartache. It is what it is.

As far as the post and cable repairs, these can be done over the course of a couple outings if the schedule is too tight for one day. But there is really not that big of an area to address, even GPSing it.

Very doable.

I bet my trailer will be in full swing by then. I will check the schedule but we'd like to come. Is there any legal route to come over from Winter Park side of Rollins pass?

Drew

treerootCO
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I bet my trailer will be in full swing by then. I will check the schedule but we'd like to come. Is there any legal route to come over from Winter Park side of Rollins pass?

Drew

that's a negatory there red rider

Red_Chili
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
For now. We aim to fix that loss of a connecting route. Some day.

RockRunner
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I may be up for some of this, depending on what we have happening then. Sounds like a fun easy trail and some camping.

rover67
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
i am 95% good to go. National sales meeting is that week for us but i think I am going to skip the drinking and debachery this year.

Red_Chili
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Or at least relocate same to alpine locales...

rover67
04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
drinking and welding is not recommended ;)

I think I'd much rather be running around in an alpine locale with a beer than in Phoenix in July!

Red_Chili
04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh no, the beer is used to rinse the taste of flux out of the mouth, at the end of the day!
Phoenix in July, eh?
I worked for an industry that put on a convention in Orlando in July. It was cheaper that way. Tells you something about the industry.
My glasses fogged when leaving an air conditioned room at 68*, and walking outside in the early morning at 80*. At least Phoenix is a dry heat. :lmao:

rover67
04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
yep, thats why they do it like that. it has been atlanta, orlando, ft. lauderdale, and phoenix now twice.... the get the deal that way.. and we roast.

either way, i would much rater be in the hills!!

rock_wagon
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM
I think I can make it - I have a 4kw Generator and extension cords that I can bring up if we need them. Is someone making a list of the tools we need and who is bringing them?

Red_Chili
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
We should not need a generator. I have a grinder, a welder, and a power source that *should* be adequate.

Oh wait, we may need a power source for any blenders needed in camp. :lmao:

Whoever is heading up fixing the posts may need something though.

timmbuck2
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM
OK, so we are set for July 26 at 9am for "fixing" the kiosk. Here is a quick list of possible helpers:

AxleIke
Subzali
Red Chili
Timmbuck2
Jacket
Powderpig
Rezarf
Rock Runner
Rover67
Rock Wagon

Other than camping and wheeling and indulging in a few adult beverages, there are 3 main goals of the trip:

1. "Fix" the kiosk
- cut off the top sun (which looks AMAZING and extremely cool...awesome job John!)
- add the beams
- add the playwood

Needed:
-grinder, welder, power (Red Chili)
-bfh (various)
-I think the FS is providing the plywood? Will she have it on the 26th? Will it be cut to fit or will we need to cut it on site? how does the plywood attach? screws?
-Same with the beams. Are they providing them?

2. Fix post and cable

We cannot get a good feel of what is needed for this until we do a pre-run to investigate. Anyone have ATV, snowmobile, snowcat, etc etc and wants to either lend them out or head up there soon to take a look? Let me know, send a PM. At the least we will need winches to pull them back up, shovels, cement?, water?, etc etc etc?.

3. GPS Jenny Creek and side trails

This is a side project that the Rising Sun is working on, or will be once the snow melts. Any and all trucks with GPS are welcome to map the trails while the other projects are going on or after everything is fixed. I don't have a GPS yet, but hopefully as that project gets up and running we will have plenty for everyone.

Then we camp and drink and eat and be merry. :) :beer:

Please post here if you are definitely heading up there the 26th and what tools you plan to bring and if you are camping. Also PLEASE let me know if you have vehicles we can use to head up there ASAP to see what needs to be done on the post and cable.

THANKS!!!!!

Timm
:risingsun:

Red_Chili
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
RC is a definite.
-grinder/cutter/flapsander, welder, power for grinder.
I am not aware of anything else that needs power; the power is 115VDC (wattage limit), not AC, and works very well on inductive motor loads such as grinders etc.

Or blenders ;)
Microwaves? Not so much. :lmao:

I will need to have the cross pieces dropped off at my house some time, so I can close the ends prior to going up there. No sense trying to do that in the field.

I have a GPS but will likely be busy for at least a chunk of the day.

Adam Mehlberg with the BRDOHV committee / Trail Ridge Runners / COHVCO can help format .gpx files.

To my knowledge the plywood can be pre-cut and simply slipped into place, retained by angle iron already in place. Confirm with the RD.

timmbuck2
05-24-2008, 01:36 PM
probably heading up there tomorrow, might try and hike the rest of the way and take some pics. wonder if I could get close via the west side?

treerootCO
05-24-2008, 09:43 PM
If only we had someone that could fly over and take pics...

timmbuck2
07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Damn...good idea Mike. :)

From Bushducks...

6/20/08 - Trail is not open all the way. Trail is rough and rocky. No maintenance and no snow removal. We got as far as 1/4 mile past the Spruce Wye where we were stopped at the next rock cut due to snow. We parked and hiked the rest of the way to Yankee Doodle Lake. We crossed over two large avalanche areas across the road and the rest of the route from Yankee Doodle Lake is covered in huge snow and ice falls. I would be very surprised if access to Yankee Doodle happens prior to August. I would think that driving to the Needle's Eye Tunnel parking area may not happen at all this year without professional road maintenance work.

I was hoping on heading up there this weekend, but sounds like it may still be awhile before it is open...and we have only have 3 weeks until our planned work day!

timmbuck2
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
hmmm....

Red_Chili
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow.
Well, I wonder if the Chili on 4psi could get there anywho? :D
Lots can happen in three weeks.
Timm, I will send you a PM on some info on me that week.

corsair23
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow.
Well, I wonder if the Chili on 4psi could get there anywho? :D

My bet would be yes :thumb: - I for one wouldn't cry if this got postponed to say the 9th or 16th of August as that would mean I might be able to attend :)

subzali
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
9th is the rally. :D

Wow, lots of snow. I thought Treeroot and UB were planning on running up there soon?

And Marco's been up there a couple times, maybe he could comment?

I'm going to try to be there unless someone has a brilliant way to get the two or 10' or 12' metal tubes up there without me. I'd probably have to have the red truck unless someone can figure out how to do it in a 40 :(

Red_Chili
07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I can tow my ~off road trailer if need be. I was hoping not to!

Uncle Ben
07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
9th is the rally. :D

Wow, lots of snow. I thought Treeroot and UB were planning on running up there soon?

And Marco's been up there a couple times, maybe he could comment?

I'm going to try to be there unless someone has a brilliant way to get the two or 10' or 12' metal tubes up there without me. I'd probably have to have the red truck unless someone can figure out how to do it in a 40 :(

Rumor has it that there might be a St. Fuaw Tuesday run coming up in a few days....repeat this is only a rumor! ;)

timmbuck2
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Rumor has it that there might be a St. Fuaw Tuesday run coming up in a few days....repeat this is only a rumor! ;)

need a navigator anyone? don't want to slow the group down...

timmbuck2
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Made it up to the lake and kiosk easily via Rollins Pass, but Jenny Creek is still pretty heavily snowed in, at least from the top. The posts I could see that were not buried in snow looked ok, a couple were loose but nothing too bad. The bad thing I saw was that the cable was so loose you could just hold it down on the ground and drive over it into the mud pit. Does not look like anyone has done it yet but that probably will happen. The kiosk looks great, too bad we have to neuter it. :(

T

subzali
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
A friend of mine is getting married that Saturday we're planning on working, I might have to drop off the steel with you fellas Friday night and bail on the work portion Saturday. Does that sound like it might work? I think some people are camping up there Friday night right?

Tramontana
07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
...I'll be there to lend a hand. Likely headed up Friday night in Truckwagon. I'll have the usual complement of work/hand tools and will throw in a rock bar and my come-along (industrial 2 ton) if we need to persuade posts back into position.

I'll bring my DeWalt set with three batteries so if we need to drill or cut the plywood on-site I can help with that.

Cheers!

Red_Chili
07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Boz!!

AxleIke
07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Just a bump with a reminder.

9am rollinsville is the time and place of the meeting.

We are on for the kiosk, and on standby on the post and cable repair, pending snow. If the FS decides we can get in there without damaging the trail, we'll do that.

However, be prepared for wet, sloppy conditions if we do get in. We could be in slush/mud.

Uncle Ben
07-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Just a bump with a reminder.

9am rollinsville is the time and place of the meeting.

We are on for the kiosk, and on standby on the post and cable repair, pending snow. If the FS decides we can get in there without damaging the trail, we'll do that.

However, be prepared for wet, sloppy conditions if we do get in. We could be in slush/mud.

Good on ya mate!

Red_Chili
07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Good on ya mate!
I reckon you'll handle the tucker then? Apples, she'll be. Or are you just playing the spruiker?
You're back of Bourke now, but it'd be ace if you make it. Bring a cleanskin, but no mystery bags. Come early and get a good pozzy.
So did you rent a feral there, gone bush bashing?

Red_Chili
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
He didn't bite....

Returning to the topic :rolleyes:...
Matt, Ike, Timm, what is the final list of contestants and the game plan? Is anyone camping, and if so, Friday night or Saturday night? What's the status?

AxleIke
07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
I was just going to post up.

Due to some unexpected personal circumstances, I will be unable to attend. :(

I have to deal with a bunch of stuff this weekend.

I wish to extend my fullest apologies.

timmbuck2
07-22-2008, 11:59 AM
OK, so we are set for July 26 at 9am (meet at store in Rollinsville if not camping) for "fixing" the kiosk. Here is an updated list of possible helpers:

Red Chili
Timmbuck2
Jacket
Powderpig
Rezarf
Rover67
Rock Wagon
Tramontana

Other than camping and wheeling and indulging in a few adult beverages, there are 3 main goals of the trip:

1. "Fix" the kiosk
- cut off the top sun (which looks AMAZING and extremely cool...awesome job John!)
- add the cross pieces. Subzali had these, correct? Where are they now?
- add the plywood

Needed:
-grinder, welder, power (Red Chili - grinder/cutter/flapsander, welder, power for grinder.)
-bfh (various)
-I think the FS is providing the plywood? Will she have it on the 26th? Will it be cut to fit or will we need to cut it on site? how does the plywood attach? screws?
-Same with the cross pieces.

2. Fix post and cable

We have not been able to get a good feel of what is needed for this At the least we will need winches to pull them back up, shovels, cement?, water?, etc etc etc?.

3. GPS Jenny Creek and side trails

This is a side project that the Rising Sun is working on, or will be once the snow melts. Any and all trucks with GPS are welcome to map the trails while the other projects are going on or after everything is fixed. I don't have a GPS yet, but hopefully as that project gets up and running we will have plenty for everyone.

Then we camp and drink and eat and be merry.

Please post a confirmation or retraction here if you are definitely heading up there the 26th and what tools you plan to bring and if you are camping.
THANKS!!!!!

Timm

Red_Chili
07-22-2008, 01:46 PM
OK, definite the morning of the 26th - and camping Saturday night then?
Hopefully Tramontana can fit the steel in the back of his Tacoma. I can pull a trailer up there if needed, as a backup. Though it is not a pleasant experience.

Tramontana
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
...and planning to camp Friday night and Saturday night.

As previously stated, I'll have my DeWalts including circular saw, sawzall, and hammer/drill and an assortment of bits and blades, plus three fully charged 18v batteries.

I can easily haul several full sheets of 4x8 plywood on my roof rack, but need to know ahead of time as I have to yank off my Yakima Rocket Box before I leave home. If the BRD has the plywood at their offices/storage yard by Friday afternoon, I'd be glad to pick it up on my way through Boulder.

RedChili, you mentioned I might be able to haul some material in TruckWagon. What is it, and where is it? I currently have my tool chest in the bed, so hauling capacity is a little reduced.

Cheers!

subzali
07-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I still have the steel tubes; Red Chili is planning on picking them up tonight. I think they are (2) 4"x6" tubes, 10-12' long. They will fit in the back of my 2wd Toyota truck (std. 6ft bed) and hang out fine with the tailgate up, so I think they are 10' long. They are heavy, but manageable with one person on each end.

I will not be able to be there.

Red_Chili
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmmm... methinks the clamps I bought to hold these in place while welding may not be robust enough. 4x6, eh?
Does anyone have fairly robust clamps, or huge C-clamps, available? I can bring a level.

subzali
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Maybe they're 2" x 6"? I sent you a pm of how big the 45 degree cut is. I think those dimensions were 2" x 7". I don't think they're 2x4, I think they're 2x6. Sorry.

Beater
07-22-2008, 02:43 PM
um - come get what you need. I will try and talk the family into coming, however, I can't commit to that. Laurie's school is getting a lot of time.

I have tons of clamps/magnets for your use. the pieces are 2x6" schd 40 with a 45 deg chamfer at the ends. and are 10' long.

j

timmbuck2
07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
um - come get what you need. I will try and talk the family into coming, however, I can't commit to that. Laurie's school is getting a lot of time.

I have tons of clamps/magnets for your use. the pieces are 2x6" schd 40 with a 45 deg chamfer at the ends. and are 10' long.

j

If you guys figure out what you need, I can go to John's and pick it up...I owe him a visit anyway...

T

RockRunner
07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Guys, I am still out. Doc won't let me do much yet, it is killing me. I am doing good and am able to do some things. One of the things I can do obviously is lift heavy stuff but the other is driving/riding in a car for a long time. I need to walk for 10 minutes every hour of sitting, great at work as I get to go outside.

Sorry I can't be there, this summer has been nothing more than a disappointment for me.:mad::(

timmbuck2
07-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Guys, I am still out. Doc won't let me do much yet, it is killing me. I am doing good and am able to do some things. One of the things I can do obviously is lift heavy stuff but the other is driving/riding in a car for a long time. I need to walk for 10 minutes every hour of sitting, great at work as I get to go outside.

Sorry I can't be there, this summer has been nothing more than a disappointment for me.:mad::(

Thanks, list updated. You will be missed. :(

What CB channel and what Ham freq will we be on? Damn I need to get a Ham radio.... :mad:

T

Red_Chili
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
CB4, and 146.460?
We should ping Romer or SharkBait on whether you can hit the CCR from Yankee Doodle Lake. IIRC, Romer and SharkBait were conversing to get the 9News gal up there, change of plans or something, with SharkBait in Denver and Romer in Rollinsville.

If we can hit the CCR, then someone with an FT8800 or a VX-7 can monitor both it and 146.460. Us poor ADD folks will have to make do with just one channel at a time... :lmao:

Red_Chili
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
If you guys figure out what you need, I can go to John's and pick it up...I owe him a visit anyway...

T
Cool. John will know what kind of clamps we need to hold the horizontal pieces to the kiosk. THANKS John and Timm!

Beater
07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
ok - I MIGHT make it. IF I CAN'T, can you PLEASE only cut off the sun at the weld points from the lid? I have a plan for that sun, since it was my materials for it... :)

seriously though, if we can keep it intact, I would be grateful. and would pay the gas for it to be hauled back to my place..

who is coming for the clamps?

timmbuck2
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
John, I will drop by to get the clamps and drop some stuff off for you. When are you around? I will also haul the sun back to your place, no charge. Ok, maybe a beer.

T

Rezarf
07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Should we bump this in the Events stagging area? I looked around for it in there before figuring it was in here... just a thought might pick up a few more volunteers.

Drew

timmbuck2
07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
good idea. :)

T

Beater
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
so - NO ONE has called me about supplies.. tonight is you last night to get any goodies you need from me. Unless I make it up.

:)

timmbuck2
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
sorry John, last week before I go live with a huge project. how late will you be around?? I will call or text after my tennis match.

T

MDH33
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
How did the Jenny Creek work go guys?

Red_Chili
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Pix are at home. Small turnout. We got the welding done on the kiosk, and two guys were available to fix one post AFAIK. Burned about 1/4-3/8 tank of gas just doing the welding. Went through some rod!

Premier Power Welder rocks. Great at powering grinders too.

subzali
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
did any trails get GPS'd or will someone have to sneak back up there to do that?

Tramontana
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
did any trails get GPS'd or will someone have to sneak back up there to do that?

...as he and Marco made a Saturday afternoon run of the main trail from top to bottom in order to get the track log. I stayed in camp and had malted beverages to get the taste of grinding wheel and weld slag out of my teeth.

We had a great evening with great company, a fine steak dinner, along a babbling brook...

...and hoards of mosquitos!

Beater
07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
dude. I have mosquito bites on my mosquito bites...

rover67
07-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Bill and I ran Jenny creek from the top down saturady afternoon. It was a quick, easy run that was most enjoyable for the 4 passengers and two dogs that were asleep in the back of the truck. I didn't actually take any pictures since i forgot my camera :( it was beautifull up there but the skeeters were bad as the sun went down. not too bad with large amounts of deet.

I didn't help much with the kiosk, but mike and I set a few of the posts for the cables in concrete and pulled some cable tight. Lots of atv'ers sunday... man it was chaos leaving.

Sorry i couldn't hang out more with the rest of the folks in the "lower camp" but i had a few friends and family with me and was busy keeping them entertained. Otherwise i'da loved to have gone on some of the side trails with ya bill.

Red_Chili
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
No worries.
Found out my aching rib (motorcycle took a dirt nap on Cascade Creek a month ago) which got worsened by the light wheeling was actually fractured.

Yep, that'll do it. Boz and I were gonna ride dirt bikes up there some time soon but that is out until my rib heals. No need to risk a lung/liver puncture should another dirt nap occur.

Beater
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
seems to be going around. My number 5 rib is separated from the sternum from a bball injury 3 weeks ago.

Less dangerous than a fracture, but I am with ya

Tch2fly
07-30-2008, 08:44 AM
As posted previously Bill and crew got the kiosk done and Marco and I reset the downed posts that were accessible.
We still have some repair to do on the post and cable but it is going to be a narrow window ... if we even get one this year.

On the last steep climb, just before it t's left to the Wagon Road, the left side of the trail is still covered by 2-3' of snow and this is where the remaining damage lies (sorry no pics). Several posts will need to be reset and braced against future problems. I'm sure the snow caused the majority of the damage but I also saw 4x4 tracks in the snow going over the cable in places. That pressure on melting snow/ground can't be good. I suggested to Karen that it might be wise to place taller markers on those post. Something like the tall poles along side the road to help snow plows stay on course.

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I did a photo survey of the post damage. Mike & Marco got the worst of it. I think what is called for is maybe putting in 45* diagonal bracing posts and welding them to the end posts, and sinking the other end in concrete in the ground. Could be done by hand. The ground is simply too soft to hold the ends.

This is headed up the last hill on Jenny Creek Trail, from where we camped the night before:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341861009_aAZMs-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341861463_CCu5h-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341861915_wzeQX-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341862266_BX2Yd-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341862618_ZXCdj-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341862981_5tszt-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341863313_3Te5K-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341863654_76nTA-M.jpg

And looking back down the hill:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341863983_5PHuX-M.jpg

Note where the bulk of traffic has gone, and the most snow melted out. The fruits of great minds!! Build it user friendly, encourage the path you want people in, and discourage the one you don't (you need to do BOTH, not just fence it off), and people will generally act like you want them to!
The winch point works, and is in good shape:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341864274_6ciVk-M.jpg

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
The top of the hill and the wetlands we protected. Here, the posts are fairly stable, though the end ones are still pulled inward. Someone knocked down a post, which Mike and Marco fixed.

Take a look at the regrowth and rehabilitation we made happen!
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341864605_SreBY-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341864902_ZBood-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341865227_Jkri4-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341865545_yQk6q-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341865874_2owrU-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341866201_ZFU6x-M.jpg

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
The post and cable west of the road and south of the lake is in pretty rough shape. The ground is quite soft here. We definitely need 45* bracing here.
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341868103_FmrSj-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341868437_dtcyv-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341868824_y76uS-M.jpg

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
The wetlands is MUCH prettier than it was before we did the work. This is a great example of why OHV groups are valuable to the USFS and BLM.

You made this happen, Rising Sun!!! :risingsun:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341869105_Gyeim-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341869422_2Yysd-M.jpg

http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341869748_s2PQR-M.jpg

wesintl
07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
It looks like the snow and it's weight will take it's toll on the posts. I wonder if a guy wire tensioner at the ends would help...

Wow, that looks a thousand times better.

Red_Chili
07-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Shots of the work on Saturday:
Cleaning up the welds after removing the shadowcast-
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341858176_dFJwn-M.jpg

Sparks and kilts do not mix well, so we were spared this trip... ;)
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341858528_WncyD-M.jpg

Did you know welding is a team sport? We hurried to get it done before the afternoon storms. Which never materialized, at least where we were.
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341859113_Gndbq-M.jpg

Caption quest. Mine is, "this volunteer work is SOOOOO tiring".
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341859391_56XFb-M.jpg

Painting the plywood to match regulation USFS Poop Brown:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341859671_ScFQr-M.jpg

Admiring our handiwork:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341859997_h5yUj-M.jpg

The group of volunteers, minus Mike (Tch2Fly) and 'Fifinella' aka 'Cookie' aka Julie, Mrs. Tramontana. Turnout was a little disappointing:
http://redchili.smugmug.com/photos/341860329_hNNPQ-M.jpg

MDH33
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Great job you guys! :thumb:

I wanted to come help out, but it would have made 6 weekends in a row with some sort of wheeling/RS function, plus next weekend is the picnic and 40's Run. Kim wasn't havin' it and I stayed home to get some stuff done around the house and spend time with her highness :Princess: .

If there's another group going up to finish post and cable before winter, I'll be in. :)

subzali
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Great job everyone who went up! I really wish I could have been there, problem is there just ain't two or more of me to be more than one place at a time!

I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of the tubes I was storing is, they look kinda unnecessary to me, but I guess we're here to do the will of the USFS.

Beater
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I would STRONGLY recommend a mid week attack on the post/cable if we could do it. That would help avoid the chaos that is rollins pass road

j

Uncle Ben
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
I would STRONGLY recommend a mid week attack on the post/cable if we could do it. That would help avoid the chaos that is rollins pass road

j

After I get back and settled I would totally be into a mid week work day or two!

MDH33
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
After I get back and settled I would totally be into a mid week work day or two!

I'm in on that. :thumb:

Red_Chili
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Can't do it mid-week, and I would recommend welding the 45* braces to the end posts, then sinking the other end in concrete. So if you do that you will need a welder or a truck with one. Mid-week sounds like a capital idea!

If you elect to run cable 45* to an eyelet sunk in concrete, going the opposite way of the braces, that would work but I bet not be as strong. It would pull out. Compression rather than extension would be stronger.

Just IMHO.

rover67
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
i wonder what kind of generator would run my little Hobart Handler 185?

Beater
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
a real large one. The problem is the stability and regulation of the current. Hence why most portable welders are so expensive. It's not the welder, it's the generator

j

Red_Chili
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Marco, now is your chance to justify a Premier Power Welder. Just sayin'... :D

powderpig
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I also could be up for a mid week attack in this next month. I am planning to be around the whole of (almost)August(besides some camping at times). I will be back in boulder on sunday night the 3rd. Do not leave until the 28th for a project. Anyhow Great job for getting what you did done. Even a couple of RS guys can effect a weekend project with great gusto.

Uncle Ben
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Can't do it mid-week, and I would recommend welding the 45* braces to the end posts, then sinking the other end in concrete. So if you do that you will need a welder or a truck with one. Mid-week sounds like a capital idea!

If you elect to run cable 45* to an eyelet sunk in concrete, going the opposite way of the braces, that would work but I bet not be as strong. It would pull out. Compression rather than extension would be stronger.

Just IMHO.

I will check into what it will take to get my Mobi set up in my 80. Not heaps of time available and I might actually just rent a trailer mounted unit and get-R-Done!

Uncle Ben
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Bill et al. After inspecting the posts and cable yesterday I'm not convinced that cantilever supports will do the trick. I did have a thought, however, that would be easy to do and I think will be a permanent solution for most of the corner posts. Mobile home anchors (http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/tiedowns.htm)! Hows that grab your giblets? ;) :thumb: Works for the overhead line poles everywhere doesn't it?

MDH33
08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Bill et al. After inspecting the posts and cable yesterday I'm not convinced that cantilever supports will do the trick. I did have a thought, however, that would be easy to do and I think will be a permanent solution for most of the corner posts. Mobile home anchors (http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/tiedowns.htm)! Hows that grab your giblets? ;) :thumb: Works for the overhead line poles everywhere doesn't it?

Sounds like a good idea with the anchors on the ends to hold the line taught. Is some special machinery required to drive those in?

I will have some time next week open, when were you thinking of doing the mid-week work?

AxleIke
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
The frost line is likely a meter or so. 40" should get below it.

Digging large holes and pouring cement will require major FS oversight. I think UB's idea is the ticket for now. If it doesn't work, then there is always next year.

Red_Chili
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
The frost line is likely a meter or so. 40" should get below it.

Digging large holes and pouring cement will require major FS oversight. I think UB's idea is the ticket for now. If it doesn't work, then there is always next year.
UB's idea should work, using the concrete deadman. FS buy-in should not be too hard. They will want to know before we do ANYthing anyway.
:thumb:
Compression would be great if it can be done though.

Uncle Ben
08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
UB's idea should work, using the concrete deadman. FS buy-in should not be too hard. They will want to know before we do ANYthing anyway.
:thumb:
Compression would be great if it can be done though.

Well.....my tie down power head came in so I pick it up tomorrow. Anyone run the idea by the BRD yet?

Red_Chili
08-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I would shoot Cat a call if I were you. Probably, you will get the 'go for it'.