PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade FJ40 tie rod ends

mtncrsr
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
I was wondering what suggestions people had for upgrading my tie rod ends. My cruiser is SOA with a Saginaw high steer type of set up that I think was done by Earl Warden. The tie rod ends appear to be stock but the joints are pretty shot. I thought that it would be nice to upgrade them especially for Rubithon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:thumb:

subzali
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Perhaps do a search on MUD for 1 ton tie rod ends, 80 series tie rod ends, or look through kits like Iron Pig Offroad and Marlin Crawler. I think if you upgrade the TREs you will have to maybe get a new tie rod/drag link, and make sure that your pitman arm and knuckles have the correct size holes to fit the TRE.

Mendocino
04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
I also have a set of brand new TREs and heavy duty TR fro SOR that I would be willing to sell for a great deal. I can't use this for my 40 because I have 60 knuckles and steering arms. PM me if you are interested.

mtncrsr
04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Perhaps do a search on MUD for 1 ton tie rod ends, 80 series tie rod ends, or look through kits like Iron Pig Offroad and Marlin Crawler. I think if you upgrade the TREs you will have to maybe get a new tie rod/drag link, and make sure that your pitman arm and knuckles have the correct size holes to fit the TRE.

I was thinking that the tie rod and the drag link might need to be upgraded as well. As you mentioned one of the big concerns is having the correct sized of holes in the knuckles. If they are not the correct size how do you fix that?

Red_Chili
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Get 'em re-tapered. I know FRORF will do it for you, but they are located in Red Feather Lake, CO.

mtncrsr
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion I will look into that. Do you think that something like an All Pro kit would fit then? The guy at Marlin said that their kit will only work with FJ60 or mini truck knuckles.

Red_Chili
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
That fits with what I have heard - but let the cruiser guys opine here... Minitruck knuckles are not all that much FWIW.

wesintl
04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Luke has high steer arms for the small bolt pattern knuckle.
http://www.4x4labs.com/products/steeringarms.html

I'd upgrade the knuckles though and go with the mini/60 ones though.

Mendocino
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Loren,

FRORF was the folks I mentioned on the phone.

--Jeff

mtncrsr
04-18-2008, 01:28 PM

What is the advantage to upgrading the knuckles? I assume strength is one. Are there others? How involved would the swap out be? Where would be a good place to acquire a set?:confused:

subzali
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
The larger pattern is known to be stronger, I'm not real sure why. Plus commonality with minitruck front ends, so I guess there are just more available if ever needed. IMO, I would upgrade the birfield to the short style and get Aisin hubs at the same time too. What it involves is basically a front axle service to switch out the parts you want to replace. The new knuckles would probably need to be recentered though, which adds a couple hours. Look on MUD for deals on hubs and stuff, or go poke around at a junkyard and see what you can find.

Somewhat off topic - I saw a 60 the other day that had Warn hubs on it? :confused: Why would someone take off the stock Aisins in favor of Warns?

nuclearlemon
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Why would someone take off the stock Aisins in favor of Warns?
same reason they pull the stock carb to put a weber on...they think it's a performance upgrade.

becasue of the larger bolt pattern, the later knuckles resist the torque from teh steering better.

mtncrsr
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM

I spoke with Brian at 4x4 Labs. They are coming out with modification for the 4 bolt small FJ40 knuckle that will upgrade it to a stonger 6 bolt. They think this should happen in a couple of months at the most. That mod along with their rods and arms might be the ticket if I can afford it.:rolleyes:

teamextreme
04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
I spoke with Brian at 4x4 Labs. They are coming out with modification for the 4 bolt small FJ40 knuckle that will upgrade it to a stonger 6 bolt. They think this should happen in a couple of months at the most. That mod along with their rods and arms might be the ticket if I can afford it.:rolleyes:

I just got my 4x4 Labs upgrade "rear" steer kit on Friday and need to install it. It comes with mondo beefy new arms. You can't just upgrade to larger TRE's without upgrading the steering arms on a 40 (at least pre-somewhere around 79 IIRC) because there is not enough meat on the arm to safely ream it out. There are probably guys that will do it for you, but most people highly discourage doing it. BudBuilt even advertises a kit that comes with HD rods and 80 series TRE's but when questioned more he agreed that it wouldn't work without upgrading the arms on a 40.

The expensive way to do it is to get aftermarket arms from 4x4 Labs or similar. The cheaper way, but requires a bit more work and probably not as strong (although the wide bolt pattern would be better) is to swap out the knuckles from either a 60 or mini truck. Then you can ream out the arms and run full size GM or 80 series TRE's with HD rods which can be sourced from most places already mentioned, or fab up your own using DOM and weld in bungs from Spidertrax.

mtncrsr
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I would be interested in hearing how your install goes. What type of rig is it going on?

teamextreme
04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
76 FJ40 w/ saginaw conversion
It's going on a little bit at a time this week, and finishing on Saturday. Need to get ready for a 'wheeling trip on Sunday.

teamextreme
04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
The 4x4 Labs install went pretty smoothly. Finished it just in time for a trip to Lefthand on Sunday. The only thing I don't like is the drag link slopes the opposite direction from what one would normally slope, ie uphill from the pitman arm. It works I guess, but I think if I used a flat pitman arm I could get drag link angle close to zero. Brian from 4x4 labs recommended the 2" drop arm, so I used it. I need to see if a flat arm is available (not from a CJ, that's what I had, and it doesn't have enough meat to ream out) I will post pics after I edit them to resize.

teamextreme
04-30-2008, 05:39 PM
pics

mtncrsr
05-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Looks great! Would it help your angles if you flipped your pitman arm so it angled up instead of down? Just a thought.

teamextreme
05-01-2008, 05:55 PM
That would be too much, it would hit the crossmember. I think a flat one will be just right, or if it was tapered to accept the TRE from the top.

Uncle Ben
05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
If I remember correctly b-body GM's (camero/firebird) use a straight Pitman arm.

EDIT: Just Googled for an image and happened on this cool site (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coolparts.com/thumbnail.php%3Fimg%3D/images/manufacturers/moog/K6086_TOP.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coolparts.com/catalog/132/&h=150&w=239&sz=6&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=e-CsppYEWAoYSM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcamaro%2Bpitman%2Barm%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)....