PDA

View Full Version : beyond frustrated

nuclearlemon
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
i can no longer count how many times i've tried adjusting the clutch and no matter what i do, the bearing will not stop riding against the pressure plate. i've put a new return spring, the rod at the slave is adjusted all the way forward, i've ziptied the springs at the fork pivot so they're tight...as soon as i adjust to get any sort of a pedal that i can reach, the bearing starts riding the pressure plate again.

what could've changed from changing a rear main seal? we did no adjustments when we pulled everything off to do the seal.

powderpig
04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Did you by chance have a spacer between the flywheel and the crank and you left it out?

treerootCO
04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
A spacer would make it worse :confused:

All I can think of is the throwout bearing is clipped on the fork incorrectly. I highly doubt that because the clips went on but easy enough to check. If you look through the inspection cover, is the bearing attached to the fork correctly? Perhaps the fork isn't seated on the pivot.

The cast forks can only go one way.
http://www.root45.com/SM465Orion/Bellhousing.jpg

nuclearlemon
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
no spacers, we double checked the friction disc when we put it in to make sure that was correct. everything appears to be seated correctly.

i can get plenty of clearance, and a small amount of play at the pedal, but as soon as i drive it, it's back to no clearance/no play at the pedal again. i've done that adjustment countless times. get it to where there's plenty of room between the bearing and plate and the pedal has a touch of play...as soon as i go to back down the driveway, it starts squealing. shut it off and check and sure as ****, the bearing's up against the pressure plate again. that's how i went from the slave being all the way out to being all the way in...a little at a time.

also, i get either a minimal amount of play, or no pedal when i do adjustments. there's no halfway point. i'll check with napa tomorrow and see about getting rebuild kits for both the master and slave...don't know what else to do.

powderpig
04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I was only guessing, I had something similar on a crusier a long time ago when I was learning about such things. I did have a part left over and had to tear it all down again and install that spacer. the spacer is a fly wheel saver. If a fly wheel is turned to much and and is too thin, the spacer is to help save the fly wheel. so I did the job again and installed the spacer and the adjustment was good, every thing worked well again. I lost my ass on that job.

timmbuck2
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
pressure plate on backwards??

Shark Bait
04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Is there a sleeve on the input bearing retainer? Is it getting hung up on something?

nuclearlemon
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
spent about 45 minutes on the phone with the wise one (texican) and even he's stumped. i'm stumped. treeroot's stumped.

this just is not normal! i need a 'pulling out my freakin' hair' icon

rover67
04-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Well, I haven't read through all of the posts, but I had the same problem in the 60. I swapped a master cylinder and the thing always touched. What i found was my problem is that the master cylinder rod was just a touch too long making it to where there was never any slop in it. I think the master cylinder has to release all the way to let the fluid pressure drop to zero again. does your master cylinder release ALL the way? does the little rod jiggle loosle when the pedal is up? Just an idea. maybe you already looked..

Beater
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I had a similar problem on a couple of vw's. Globally sourced parts resulted in variances in length at the slave.

SteveH
04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
pressure plate on backwards??

I think he may have meant 'clutch disk in backwards'? I know on some clutches, this is impossible (the Camry I just did), but I don't know about a 'cruiser. Hang in there, Ige!

Steve

Red_Chili
04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
+1 on the master cylinder not returning fully and pressure building in the system, preventing full disengagement. Had it on a motorcycle too. Brake system, but otherwise identical symptoms.

leiniesred
04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Rear main seal...

Turned the flywheel while it was off?

Is this the kind of flywheel where the pressure plate bolts to a lower step than the friction surface?
If it is the stepped kind, and they cleaned up the friction surface, but not the lower step where the pressure plate bolts (because pulling out the pins is extra work)
Then, essentially, the clutch disk is "thinner," which lets the fingers on the pressure plate stick out more, so it touches. the t-out bearing.
That might explain, "What changed."

timmbuck2
04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
oops. yeah, meant clutch disk on backwards...easy to do and it fits and looks fine

nuclearlemon
04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
clutch disc looked new and mike and i are positive that it's in correctly. plus, the entire issue appears to be hydraulic.

Red_Chili
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
By the way, found your emoticons.

Oh look, I found Ken.

But seriously, you should be able to depress the slave back into its cylinder and push fluid back into the reservoir with no pedal pressure. If not... you found your issue.

Rezarf
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry Ige no help here, I would suspect that it is hydraulic at this point or something that has been overlooked.

Just wanted to sympathize, this kind of stuff STINKS! You'll get 'er done!

nuclearlemon
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
got a master rebuild kit and new slave, so i'll be doing that tonight. also got a trailer plug kit and made and extension for the trailer wiring that was too short.

so what will go wrong next?:rolleyes:

treerootCO
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
...so what will go wrong next?:rolleyes:

If it were me, I would spend all week looking for the cylinder hone. :hill:

Trapper50cal
04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Montecor got a brand new Sachs Clutch and pressureplate when I replaced the motor and it was working groovy when I gave it to you (wasn't it???) why the work? shorter throw?

treerootCO
04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Montecor got a brand new Sachs Clutch and pressureplate when I replaced the motor and it was working groovy when I gave it to you (wasn't it???) why the work? shorter throw?

Rear main was leaking and had to be replaced. No changes were made to the clutch.

nuclearlemon
04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
lost the clutch at a light tonight on the way home...another clue i'm on the right track. new slave is mounted, master is rebuilt. tomorrow night, i'll bench bleed and install.

nuclearlemon
04-22-2008, 08:22 AM

yep, all worked fine until mike and i replaced the rear main seal. that's why i'm so confused on what the heck changed to make it all go wonky. must've just disturbed everything at the right time.

nuclearlemon
04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
can't get the noise to go away, so i quit. i'll just be noisy like neil:D

one the positive side, my new freebie shift knob showed up, so i installed that.

the tie downs i ordered a month ago also showed up, but too late to install, so they'll go into the 80.

14 hours to go...i'm off to fill up the pig, and the cooler...see you all in moab

MDH33
04-25-2008, 07:11 PM
That Shifter is Awesome!! :p:

Rzeppa
04-25-2008, 10:34 PM
That Shifter is Awesome!! :p:

No kidding! I love how you can see Ige holding the camera in it's reflection!