PDA

View Full Version : Timm's 2.5" lift party

timmbuck2
04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
3 lifts in 1 day was too much to tackle, so I am scrambling to get my new (Matt's) lift on before Moab...and I leave Saturday. Any chance I could get a couple of helpers on Tuesday? Maybe Thursday? Saturday morning as a last resort. My garage is fine, but I do not have air. Please let me know if Tuesday works for anyone...I could have the front wheels off by 4:00...should be drinking beer and eating pizza by 9:00 with some experienced help. Thanks all...

Timm

ps-very doubtful anyone can help since we are all getting ready for Moab. Any chance I can do this myself in 1 day alone?

Tch2fly
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Let me check my schedule, I may be able to help Tues.
The springs and shocks are easy and should go quick even if you do it alone, the control arm swap is better as a two man job IMO. Air is a plus but not a requirement, do you have large enough sockets/wrenches for the arm bolts?

Hit all the bolts with WD40 or PB blaster today.

Rezarf
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Timm- Where are you at? Or where will the rig be?

timmbuck2
04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I bet I don't have big enough sockets...what do I need?

Drew, my rig will be here in SE Denver, or could be anywhere there is help!!

T

Uncle Ben
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM

Drew, my rig will be here in SE Denver, or could be anywhere there is help!!

T

Crawl under your truck. Anything that moves under there you need that size tool! Hmmmmm......that was a set up! :rolleyes:

FJBen
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
80 series suspension change = a few hours UNLESS everything is rusted on. I can swap springs ~15 minutes front, 20 minutes rear.

Of course this is using the hi-lift* on my ARB bumper and rear bumper., disconnecting shocks from one end, and one end of the swaybar.

I've become quite good and quick...

*ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS ON THE FRAME WHEN USING THE HI-LIFT METHOD>>>DONT" GET SQUASHED!

Hulk
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Timm, what time were you thinking of getting started? You could use my garage -- I have air + all the tools you'll need. But I usually don't get home until 6:00 p.m.

timmbuck2
04-21-2008, 06:28 PM
6 could work...depends on babysitters...wife is out of town

hey Kev. :brick:

T

Rezarf
04-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry man, the drive kills the deal for me bud.

Drew

nakman
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM

T

Control arms are 24 and 22mm.. and open end & box wrenches can be even more useful than sockets, particularly with the bottom ones since space is tight. An impact is dreamy for the back one though- you remove the nuts in back, but the two lower ones you're loosening the bolts (they use pokey nuts). We had to "jack" a wrench up to get the lower ones free on both Matt & I's truck, that's been the SOP every time I've pulled one of those.

shocks are 19 & 17.. the upper rear shock plates are 14, and the other little stuff is all 12's.

Tch2fly
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I can help, tell me when and where.

I have the large sockets and a 24mm open/box end but no 22mm.

Nay
04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Control arms are 24 and 22mm.. and open end & box wrenches can be even more useful than sockets, particularly with the bottom ones since space is tight. An impact is dreamy for the back one though- you remove the nuts in back, but the two lower ones you're loosening the bolts (they use pokey nuts). We had to "jack" a wrench up to get the lower ones free on both Matt & I's truck, that's been the SOP every time I've pulled one of those.

shocks are 19 & 17.. the upper rear shock plates are 14, and the other little stuff is all 12's.

You don't need to pull the control arms for a 2.5" (OME?) install. Just jack up the entire front end and jackstand both rails. With shocks disconnected, let the entire front end droop until the brake lines are almost fully extended (you may need to disco the swaybar at the frame, too).

For the rear, where you have actual flex, do one side at a time.

The biggest killer beyond bolts that won't loosen is being gentle with the springs. If you can get a lip over the perch, a crowbar and BFB (last B is "Boot") will seat the spring. I installed my 3.5" springs without doing anything but disconnecting the shocks.

Mistake I made was untying the Bilstein shocks before I had one end mounted up. Not fun to try and compress a fully extended Bilstein.

Your stock coils should come right out and OME's in without too much effort.

If you do plan to pull the control arms, a nice piece of drain pipe about 2' long as a breaker bar for your wrench is a godsend. Cost you a few bucks @ Home Depot. And a hand winch is better than sliced bread for getting an axle properly aligned for the bolt holes on suspension links. That alone can save you a ton of time and a lot of sweat.

Just remember you can't hurt those springs. Find a good lip to get a crowbar working and wear a good set of boots. Easy as pie :hill:

timmbuck2
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Thursday work for anyone? Sounds like tuesday is a no go. Anywhere we can go that has air? Or borrow? THanks guys!!!!!

T

Beater
04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
you are welcome to my stuff, as you know.. Do you need day or night? my senior vp is in town so no working from home for this week.

Call or pm for what you need.

My tips?

bottle jack, floor jack, and jack stands.

Lift truck by frame to max of jack stands. bottle jack axle to relieve pressure on shocks. remove wheels, remove shocks. I have had to torch off the upper shock before on an 80, so start soaking now. Grab some vise grips for the shaft too.

Let the axles drop without shocks, minding your brake lines.. fyi - good time to replace em with steel. Bottle jack is for keeping the brake line from stretching.. repeat for rear.

Christo's instructions are neater and more precise, but when have I ever fit that category?

Things to check while there - panhard rods - for tightness and bushing wear.

j

Tch2fly
04-22-2008, 08:00 AM
You don't need to pull the control arms for a 2.5" (OME?) install. Just jack up the entire front end and jackstand both rails. With shocks disconnected, let the entire front end droop until the brake lines are almost fully extended (you may need to disco the swaybar at the frame, too).

Yes and no .... depends on how, if at all, you plan to correct caster.

He has a set of arms with caster correction bushings already installed.

Timm,

I can help Thurs, my garage (Highlands Rnch) is available if you don't get a better offer (my air comp is weak)

timmbuck2
04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks!!!! That might work better...I have NO air, and air would definitely make things easier. Weak air is better than no air!!

So who wants to join us? Beer and pizza on me.

Thanks guys!!

T

Yes and no .... depends on how, if at all, you plan to correct caster.

He has a set of arms with caster correction bushings already installed.

Timm,

I can help Thurs, my garage (Highlands Rnch) is available if you don't get a better offer (my air comp is weak)

nakman
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Timm, I can help after work for at least a couple hours.. if you're still at it? Let me know where you'll be, once you figure that out.

Hulk
04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I can't do Thursday -- I'm on kid duty. I have a couple of 22mm wrenches if you want to borrow them.

Beater
04-22-2008, 03:31 PM
my place is open on thurs evening if you need as well.

timmbuck2
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
my place is open on thurs evening if you need as well.

And you have air...and we could weld up the sliders...how does John's place sound? Closer for you, Drew. :)

T

Beater
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
disclaimer - I may not be assisting, but my tools and stuff would be available... more like supervising. We can not use air past 8pm to be nice to the neighbors. However, with 2 people, a spring/shock swap shouldn't take more than 4 hrs.

Also - if we are reinforcing the sliders, WASH UNDER THE DAMN TRUCK THIS TIME....

timmbuck2
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
John, if you are not able to assist we should probably go for Mike's garage, especially since we would be lying in your alley...and I remember how fast people drove by last time!! :eek:

Thanks!

T

Beater
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
I can assist, however, I can assure you I will not be doing the bulk of the labor.. :)

I will be home at 5:15.. if you have access to a garage where your truck will fit, and you can work later, that might be better for you.

j

timmbuck2
04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
We do need the ability to work late...

nakman
04-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Timm have you been spraying down your shock bolts? swaybar bolts? Do you have an M8 x 1.25 tap?

Tch2fly
04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll be home by 4 on Thurs.
I'd rather not post my address but it is correct in the current member roster.
PM me if you want to help and can't get to the member section or want my phone number.

Timm have you been spraying down your shock bolts? swaybar bolts? Do you have an M8 x 1.25 tap?

x2 on the spraydown, espcially the top of the rear shocks.

I doubt we will have trouble, I'll bet I can swap in 2.5" springs without pulling the swaybars and the front bumpstops stay put ;)

timmbuck2
04-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Been spraying fronts, but not the backs....guess I netter go do that now. :) Doubtful I have the tap but I will check. Will prob hit Sears or somewhere for a few tools tomorrow...will grab the tap, 22MM and 24 MM open end wrenches...I need them anyway.

I plan on being to your place by 4ish. PM me address and your fave beer. :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Timm

I'll be home by 4 on Thurs.
I'd rather not post my address but it is correct in the current member roster.
PM me if you want to help and can't get to the member section or want my phone number.

x2 on the spraydown, espcially the top of the rear shocks.

I doubt we will have trouble, I'll bet I can swap in 2.5" springs without pulling the swaybars and the front bumpstops stay put ;)

timmbuck2
04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
just noticed the rear wheels still have the locking lugnuts.....which is quite odd as I replaced them all a long time ago...and threw away the key...only thing I can think of is that Discount Tire put them back on??? But only on the back??? Anyway...without the key, what do I do? Hmm...

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Go by Discount and have them removed. They don't need a key to do that.

nakman
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Mike, is your address in the club roster correct? I'm coming, but closer to 6:00 by the time I get down there.. hopefully you'll be done by then, save me a :beer: :)

timmbuck2
04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Mike, Tim and Ricardo! Thanks so much for taking some very valuable time out of your very busy schedules to help get my lift installed!! We had it done in 3 hours...plus some pizza time...then worked on Tim's truck a little more. :) All in all, went very smoothly, and having a couple of experts there made the job fast and easy. Thanks! I hope to be able to repay your help someday!!

T

:risingsun:

nuclearlemon
04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
you know what's coming next don't you?

something about "pics", for instance. ;)

MDH33
04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
I know I'll get to see it in Moab but:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/100299445_jC65k-L.jpg

:D

Uncle Ben
04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.pcmtl.com/public/misc/TTIWWOP.gif

Hulk
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I stopped by for a bit. Here are two quick pics. At this point, the springs and shocks had all been installed, and the control arms with the caster correction bushings were being installed.

Check out the floor of Mike's garage! :thumb:

RicardoJM
04-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for letting me hang out, turn a wrench, eat your pizza and take some pictures. I also learned at least three things...

The first lesson was how to use a floor jack to break loose nuts and bolts.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/timmbuck2/Loosening_nut.jpg

The second is that newly lifted 80 looks nice on top of Mike's garage floor.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/timmbuck2/All_Done.jpg

And the third is that this is the crew you want to call if you are lifting your 80 two days before leaving for Moab.:D

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/timmbuck2/80_liftcrew.jpg

corsair23
04-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Check out the floor of Mike's garage! :thumb:

Daaaaannnnnggggg....I can't even SEE my floor half the time :lmao:

Good job guys :thumb: - Timm, rig is looking pretty sweet

Romer
04-25-2008, 05:27 PM
This a nice garage.

Glad you got it in Timm