PDA

View Full Version : Hey Wes - are these worth anything?

treerootCO
04-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Ige came across these on Colo4x4 and was going to put them on the 55 but they are 16s. For free it was worth the gamble but with only a 1ply sidewall, it doesn't make sence to swap the MRTs on the 80. She dropped them off at my place last night because she has no use for more stuff taking up space.

Michelin XZL 9.00 R16 (XZL900)

wesintl
04-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I'll put em on for moab....

BTW.. I love how they are in the kitchen. :lol:

FJBen
04-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Those are 36" tires :D

I'll put em on my 80 :)

Hulk
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Hell, I could put them on my 80 for Moab. Online Tires has my Toyos on backorder...after I called them before ordering and "verified" that they had the tires in stock. :mad:

FJBen
04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm gonna take a WAG and bet they weigh a chunk more than the toyo's.

here's a review by Clownmidget on mud:

Michelin XZL 9.0R16

Considerations for Purchase:
I wanted a radial tire that performed as well as a Super Swamper (or better) but had better road manners and a better build quality (ie, balanced with less weight, less chunking, etc). I was also a victim of the "cool" factor and mystique that these tires had (have). I started looking for them just before the latest scrap in the Middle East and there were still several sets floating around that were "affordable". I would add, under the given circumstances, that general availability to purchase a spare or replacement should be a big consideration. They are currently very difficult to source in good condition, let alone new.

Performance:
I mounted these on the OEM Land Cruiser alloy wheels with no issues and they required very little weight to properly balance. They measured an honest 36.5" diameter. Each tire weighed nearly 90 lbs unmounted. There was essentially no difference in the tire stance from 50 psi down to 18 psi. Once at or below 15 psi you could discern some bulging. The sidewalls are extremely thick and stiff. The tires were louder than I expected on pavement given what I'd been told, nearly as loud as a garden variety swamper. They did behave fairly well except that as they heated up on the pavement the handling became a bit squirrelly. They were rated to 65 mph although I took them up to 80 mph with the behavior noted above. Off road I had them in mud and they performed excellently. Same for snow. They did not flex enough for rock crawling although I never really got to place that it would have been noticed. They did seem to be wearing rather quickly from all the pavement use to get to trails. Biggest downsides: weight, sidewall stiffness, squirrelly behavior when hot on pavement. Biggest upsides: nice size and dimensions for a lifted 80, very good on most types of trails an 80 would be on, very high quality construction.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63233&stc=1&d=1142896369

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63235&stc=1&d=1142896369

Tanglefoot
04-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Ooh...those are cool rollers. I don't think you have to worry about weak sidewalls with those....that's what Mogs and Unicats run.

Just put them on some 16" white wagon wheels and bolt 'em on!

I wouldn't mind running some smaller Michelin Z's like the Land Rovers. Those are too big for me though.