PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Two weeks to get a dang key made?

thenimirra
04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
OK....I think I understand now what so many folks have been telling me about the kind of time and energy I'm going to have to put into my FJ40 build. It has been two weeks already and the lock smith (Dire Lock) STILL hasn't finished making my key yet! I knew something was wrong when I gave him the ignition switch and he asked me "What is that?" The damn thing is so old, they had to order a special part just to cut a key. I just know that when all of this is done, my FJ will be worth it. But I hope this isn't foreshadowing everything I will be facing from here on out.... delays and waiting to get parts ordered for a 1962 Land Cruiser.

Hulk
04-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Wow, that blows. Where did you get a key blank? Did you order a Toyota blank from Specter?

Shark Bait
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Did you try Toyota? Sometimes they'll surprise you.

wesintl
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah.. no offense but get used to it when working on some old iron like a 62 fj40. It's these intricacies that I rather enjoy about and old 40.

RicardoJM
04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Patience and flexibility will be hallmarks of this effort. I had a key, but had to go through 3 different shops before I found one that had the proper blank. Elapsed time took a couple of weeks.

Research on here and MUD will really help a bunch in making sure you have all the things you need before you jump into each project - but even then there is just enough variance that something minor can stop you cold until you can get it dealt with. My most recent example was small vacuum hose - ended up being able to get it from Toyota but it took a couple of days for it to get in.

As Wes indicated, it is part of the charm of that comes with working on the older vehicles. :D

leiniesred
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Patience!
I remember in the 1980's I used to have to wait MONTHS for Austin Healey parts to come in via ship from England! (Then came moss motors and other USA venders and an aftermarket and things got better.)
Everything will take longer, but it is worth more than if it was fast and easy.

treerootCO
04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
The perspective I would have in this situation is that you should be amazed you found someone willing to try and make a key and be absolutely floored that he/she knows the right parts to order to make your key. You have already discovered the beauty of networking in this experience. Take your key to Home depot (excluding the one in Louisville;)) and ask them to make you a key. The next adventure you may run into is your generator isn't putting out a charge and it isn't as easy as going to the parts store. Almost all the techs with experience of actually repairing something instead of merely throwing parts away and bolting on some cheap foreign made (excluding OE) part that may or may not be specific to your application. You know you needed a key so that is the goal. Can't buy one, have one made. Noone willing to make you one...what else can you do? Back to networking and the satisfaction you can only get by turning wrenches on your own and overcoming unsurmountable odds.