PDA

View Full Version : One step forward, two steps back...

Rezarf
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, in my general truck prep on the 40 for Moab tonight, I was going to replace the juice in the pumpkins. The front was nice and clean the rear was uhhh, not.

I found some (5-8) "glitter" on my magnet on the drain plug and a small peice of thin metal, like bearing material or something... :o:confused:

Now, this is a DD 40, it has got lots of issues both known and unknown, and I have known the pinion has had some play in it for some time. Last time I was in Moab I drug around a spare diff (it is in my garage) just in case something went bad. Now, if I grab the flange at the pinion I can move it pretty much in a circle. It has play all around (I can move it about 1/8"). The pinion nut is tight and staked and RED threadlocked so I am pretty sure it is the pinion, bearing or similar. Again, I drive this thing everyday and I haven't had an issue. It isn't any worse than it was a few years ago, the last time I messed with it so I am wondering if I could run the next few months until the ARB money is in place?

I know this needs to be address at some point. I had a plan of installing an ARB with this spare unit, but maybe it is time to drop it in? :(

I can always carry the diff as a spare again.

If I do drop it in I have a few questions:

1.How do I check the "new" diff to see if it is going to be any better for me, the history is unknown on it.

2.Do I need cork gaskets on both sides of the diff or can I simply use RTV or similar?

3. Can I run it, I know I have run it for a few years like this without issue, after all, it is a 40 designed for 3rd world use! :D:thumb:

Uncle Ben
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, in my general truck prep on the 40 for Moab tonight, I was going to replace the juice in the pumpkins. The front was nice and clean the rear was uhhh, not.

I found some (5-8) "glitter" on my magnet on the drain plug and a small peice of thin metal, like bearing material or something... :o:confused:

Now, this is a DD 40, it has got lots of issues both known and unknown, and I have known the pinion has had some play in it for some time. Last time I was in Moab I drug around a spare diff (it is in my garage) just in case something went bad. Now, if I grab the flange at the pinion I can move it pretty much in a circle. It has play all around (I can move it about 1/8"). The pinion nut is tight and staked and RED threadlocked so I am pretty sure it is the pinion, bearing or similar. Again, I drive this thing everyday and I haven't had an issue. It isn't any worse than it was a few years ago, the last time I messed with it so I am wondering if I could run the next few months until the ARB money is in place?

I know this needs to be address at some point. I had a plan of installing an ARB with this spare unit, but maybe it is time to drop it in? :(

I can always carry the diff as a spare again.

If I do drop it in I have a few questions:

1.How do I check the "new" diff to see if it is going to be any better for me, the history is unknown on it.

2.Do I need cork gaskets on both sides of the diff or can I simply use RTV or similar?

3. Can I run it, I know I have run it for a few years like this without issue, after all, it is a 40 designed for 3rd world use! :D:thumb:

Swap it with the front for now!

Rezarf
04-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Swap it with the front for now!

Seriously? Then I gotta pull the birfs :rant:... I have an extra just sitting on my shelf.

AxleIke
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
RTV is fine

I never use gaskets on any of my drivetrain. I have zero leaks. I know a guy who put gaskets on everything, and everything leaks.

farnhamstj
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
If you have a spare, why not put it in? If you know it is the correct r&p. Why swap front to rear if you know the bearing(S) bad? If the 'new' dif doesn't have play, it's probably better than what you have currently. I have a cork gasket for a 40 I'll be bring to CM08, you can have it. RTV the dif, cork the cover.

nuclearlemon
04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
the cork gasket only goes on the cover. there's a paper gasket between the pumpkin and the axle housing. the only time i use rtv is as a trail fix. gaskets have always worked fine for me. never a drop under any of my diffs.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Seriously? Then I gotta pull the birfs :rant:... I have an extra just sitting on my shelf.

I suggested swapping if you decide to drive it as is and it gets worse or the spare diff you have is iffy. Personnally, I would swap to your spare as long as it's usable.

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Another vote for RTV only. Permatex "The Right Stuff" is expensive but seals better than anything.

Don't drive on a bad pinion bearing, it WILL come to a bad end!

MDH33
04-24-2008, 08:45 AM
My thought (not worth much) is that if it's not causing any issues/vibrations, run it as is and replace it down the road. Getting too close to CM departure time to be tearing things apart. ;)

rover67
04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I'll be driving down there on wed night. i could sweep ya up.

;)

seriously dude, sorry for the troubles... maybe you can have somebody that knows rearends take a look at the chunk yo uhave sitting there? if it is good to go (not to go against martins opinion or anything) i might really look into swapping it. i mean it shouldn't take more than a few hours. I have 3 of the the cork gaskets for a 60 if that works for a 40. I use cork on the cover side since i hate scraping silicone, and the stock gasket or silicone on the chunk side.

but yeah, a few hours is pretty significant in prep time.. I am not near done with the rear bumper and I go out of town tomorrow through tuesday night. still have to fix leaks, pack, mount fire stuff, mount co2 man o man. Hell, i'd help with the chunk but bro I am already freaking..

leiniesred
04-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Pull it and swap it now. Diff will go from loose to leaky on this trip otherwise. 1/8 is a lot of play for those little oil seals.

Rezarf
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys, my :princess: is coming along, and I'd rather swap it now in my garage and be done with it. Anyone want to put another set of eyes on this thing for me? I bought it from a guy I trust but he didn't know the history on it. It is WAY "tighter" than my current diff for sure!

How should I clean out the diff on the shelf? I am going to stick it in tomorrow. RTV both sides unless the cork gaskets are available locally.

Also, anyone know where I could get a front set of ubolts locally this late in the game?

Drew

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
High Country 4x4 maybe? Rancho 5/8"?
NAPA sells U-bolts too. Not as pretty.

treerootCO
04-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Just to clarify, paper gasket between the third member and axle housing. The cork gasket goes between the axle housing and the diff cover.

Rezarf
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Can I run RTV though between the cover and the housing?

treerootCO
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Can I run RTV though between the cover and the housing?

All my trail repairs use RTV between the cover and the housing. They work just fine until I feel like fixing it.:D That was directed at Bill:hill: RTV is just fine. Stick a cork gasket between the third and the axle housing and you'll wonder why the axle shafts don't quite fit like they used to.

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 12:04 PM
All my trail repairs use RTV between the cover and the housing. They work just fine until I feel like fixing it.:D That was directed at Bill:hill:
Stick a cork gasket between the third and the axle housing and you'll wonder why the axle shafts don't quite fit like they used to.
Not to mention why the diff moves around and why the studs break off I'm thinkin'.

wesintl
04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
dude. Just run it like you stole it.Take a 3rd just in case. Don't fix **** til it's broke :hill:

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Nice find on Nakmans drummer! :thumb::thumb: We need that added to our stash! :bowdown: :Wes:

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 01:06 PM
dude. Just run it like you stole it.Take a 3rd just in case. Don't fix **** til it's broke :hill:

It's broke, it just don't know it yet!
Hmmmmmm, if you run Fins with AxleIke and moi Tuesday... could be an interesting day. Broken ring gear anyone?

Can't remember where I lifted that drummer. Yeah, we need an emoticon renewal!

wesintl
04-24-2008, 01:15 PM
It's broke

It ain't broke if he's been driving like that for the last 3 years, been to moab, daily drivin 1 more week ain't going to hurt IMHO.:lmao:

Rezarf
04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
It's broke, it just don't know it yet!
Hmmmmmm, if you run Fins with AxleIke and moi Tuesday... could be an interesting day. Broken ring gear anyone?

Can't remember where I lifted that drummer. Yeah, we need an emoticon renewal!

Ran, it two years, and Metal masher and E-hill, and drove home without issues! ;)

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Kinda like my dad when he went out to check on the cattle one fine September morning in 1988.
"He was fine a minute ago".

Pinions don't like play in the bearings. JMHO.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Kinda like my dad when he went out to check on the cattle one fine September morning in 1988.
"He was fine a minute ago".

Pinions don't like play in the bearings. JMHO.

I have to agree! I'm a bit old school I guess as I like to fix my junk at home and wheel on the trail away from tools and parts and garage! :blah:

treerootCO
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I can't imagine how I would explain to UB that my pinion just ate it and I knew about it before I left home to go wheel with him. :eek:

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
:lmao:
Or on Fins with Bill & Isaac Tuesday.

Rezarf
04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Gonna swap it out... geesh ;) :D

If everyone posted up their known issues, who would really head out there anyway? :D

It is still a gamble I hope the one going in is in good shape. :rolleyes:

How do I double check if it is 4:11's?

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM

If everyone posted up their known issues, who would really head out there anyway? :D

Count the ring gear teeth and devide by the number of pinion teeth.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 02:30 PM

That is the decisive factor on who gets invited on a St. Fuaw Run or not! :eek::lmao::lmao: :p:

treerootCO
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM

For ammunition you can use against me, feel free to look at my electrical under the hood. That should keep you entertained for awhile.

To identify the gear ratio you need to install the new third and drive around in 4wd. If either the front or the back disagrees violently, then the new one doesn't match. :D

wesintl
04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
If everyone posted up their known issues,
Keep your known issues to yourself.:lmao: Posting what your truck needs is no problem.:bowdown:

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Keep your known issues to yourself.:lmao: Posting what your truck needs is no problem.:bowdown:

Good call! :rolleyes:

PabloCruise
04-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Drew, I always check the shims in a third member I am contemplating installing...

This is what you want to avoid:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24991&stc=1&d=1119124900

Read more here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/49036-third-member-swap-denied.html

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
For ammunition you can use against me, feel free to look at my electrical under the hood. That should keep you entertained for awhile.

This, from a connoisseur of Jeep Flambes... :lmao:

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
That is the decisive factor on who gets invited on a St. Fuaw Run or not! :eek::lmao::lmao: :p:
I ain't got no issues, and still awaiting my invite! :rant:

I mean, my TRUCK ain't got no issues. :o Yeah, that's it. My truck.

:hill:

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I ain't got no issues, and still awaiting my invite! :rant:

I mean, my TRUCK ain't got no issues. :o Yeah, that's it. My truck.

:hill:

It's also important that you don't look better than the lead truck! :p:

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
No issues... Yet.

As long as I keep UB away from it. :eek:

Don't worry Drew, we'll help you with your issues.

Red_Chili
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
It's also important that you don't look better than the lead truck! :p:
And, I imagine, that the truck doesn't look better than the lead truck as well.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Bill's new 3.4 powered ST. FUAW scooter.....

http://www.bikernewsonline.com/uploaded_images/hamster-wheel-motorcycle-797973.jpg

DaveInDenver
04-24-2008, 03:33 PM
That bike is awesome.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Bill's new 3.4 powered ST. FUAW scooter.....

Hmmmm....what happened to the scooter image? I like the "Hamstones" mobile! :thumb: Wonder what else we can post up in this blatant hi-jack? :rolleyes: :hill: EDIT: weird....it's back......freaky

treerootCO
04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
This, from a connoisseur of Jeep Flambes... :lmao:

Some guy named Dave guy did all my wiring. :D

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 03:44 PM
And, I imagine, that the truck doesn't look better than the lead truck as well.

Correct! :rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
04-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Some guy named Dave guy did all my wiring. :D
It was totally fine when I got here. 8834

nuclearlemon
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM

look on the side of the ring gear where they stamp "4.11" :D

AxleIke
04-24-2008, 04:50 PM
This is a funny thread....LOL

Lucky for me, I don't have any known problems. I have things I'd like to improve, but those things don't affect the operation of the vehicle.

Drew, sorry about your diff man. That sucks it chose this moment to disintegrate. When it rains, it pours eh?

Uncle Ben
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
look on the side of the ring gear where they stamp "4.11" :D

Factory ring gears often do not have "4.11" stamped into them but they do usually have the RG and pinion tooth count stamped on the RG.

Rezarf
04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
This is a funny thread....LOL

Lucky for me, I don't have any known problems. I have things I'd like to improve, but those things don't affect the operation of the vehicle.

Drew, sorry about your diff man. That sucks it chose this moment to disintegrate. When it rains, it pours eh?

Nope, been running like this for 8 years now. No issues, just trying not to gamble one more long range trip, and ruin my vacation due to laziness.:blah:

AxleIke
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh.

I knew that your diff was iffy, but not that bad.

Wish I could help you out man, but gotta get stuff packed and spare parts impusle sealed, and yadda yadda yadda. Plus, my dad's 4runner decided it didn't want to run right, so he's trying to fix idle issues, which means I may be going up friday night to pull a late night wrench. We'll see.

nuclearlemon
04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
if it makes you feel any better drew, i still can't get that clutch to SHUT UP! it drives me crazy. i am at my wits end. i've adjusted like crazy, greased, adjusted more, pulled the new slave to check it (think the new one might have been missing parts)...still, i can't make the scraping go away.

corsair23
04-24-2008, 11:49 PM
if it makes you feel any better drew, i still can't get that clutch to SHUT UP! it drives me crazy. i am at my wits end. i've adjusted like crazy, greased, adjusted more, pulled the new slave to check it (think the new one might have been missing parts)...still, i can't make the scraping go away.

Wanna trade for mine out of my 40? It squeals and "woos" at you :hill:. If you can't figure yours out then there's no chance in you know what that I could figure mine out...

Shark Bait
04-25-2008, 12:00 AM

All I can think, Ige, is that you must have done something to make the cruiser gods very mad at you. :(

Rezarf
04-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Ige, do a few full dump burn-outs 'till you scrub the clutch of all the excess material! :D

Kevin- If I can swing by tomorrow in the AM would you give my diff a once over with yee wise eyes? :bowdown:

I'd kick myself if that one bombs and my original one would have held... :blah:

Rzeppa
04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Drew, I have a couple spare 4.11 diffs. If your spare turns out to be not so hot you're welcome to one of mine. I think they're all coarse spline, which is same as yours if it's stock 76.

Rezarf
04-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks Jeff, I will know in the AM...

Drew

MDH33
04-28-2008, 11:50 AM
So what did you decide to do with it Drew? Did you swap in the other unit?