PDA

View Full Version : May be a CM08 no show

corsair23
04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Trying to get the LX all put back together tonight and found that the upper DS caliper bolt hole on the knuckle may be stripped. I can't get the bolt to torque down to the spec'd amount. The bolt that came out of there was a little boogered up so I picked up a new one (two actually) from Burt. Not sure where to go from here...Definitely don't want that sucker coming loose/out coming down Eisenhower with a popup in tow.

I'm pretty dang :rant:right now. If I have to replace the knuckle then CM08 is most likely out for us. I think I need a :beer:, or two, or 6 :(

EDIT: On a bright note my vanity call sign was granted :rolleyes:

MDH33
04-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Drive your 40!! :D :thumb:

Seriously. you have a couple of days for repairs left and I hope you can get it squared away!

If not,

Drive your 40!!

Moab or bust dude!!

:thumb:

corsair23
04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Drive your 40!! :D :thumb:

No rear seats for the kiddos yet and it can't pull a popup camper :(

AxleIke
04-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Drill to the next size.

Tap it.

Thread in next bigger bolt.

Cost: probably 20-50 bucks.

Time: an hour or two.

not seeing the issue.

powderpig
04-26-2008, 06:15 AM
You can either do as Axle states, or use a Heli coil(heli coils in this size can be quite expensive). Both are acceptable fixes for a short term type of fix(drill and tap for next size is a longer term fix in my mind). Of course the best long term is to get a new part. This was discussed quite a bit on Mud a few years back. Heli coils can be a great long term fix if done right and have a full thread contact. The drill and tap you may have to drill the caliper hole a bit bigger as well for the bigger bolt.
Good luck with this. Later Robbie

sleeoffroad
04-26-2008, 07:11 AM
I can check if we have a spare knuckle. That is a long shot since I know I bought two new ones when we built the blueberry. Otherwise drill and tap or install Heli coil. as Robbie suggests. I would not have this stop you from CM. Try Stevinson, they might be have a knuckle in stock or can get you one by Tuesday. Also check with Oleg, sure he has some good used ones.

rover67
04-26-2008, 08:39 AM
i have heli-coiled caliper bolts before, it worked fine.

Rezarf
04-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Jeff, you can do it, I am out to yank the entire third off my rear this morning :rant:

Nothing like a deadline to get me in gear! :D

Tch2fly
04-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Busted parts suck and I don't have a spare but if an extra hand would help, just let me know.
I can spare a couple hours tonight or tomorrow.

Inukshuk
04-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I drove my FJ60 for an unknown period of time with one of those missing completely! I'm not suggesting that but ..... you do have three other brakes! :)

Uncle Ben
04-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I drove my FJ60 for an unknown period of time with one of those missing completely! I'm not suggesting that but ..... you do have three other brakes! :)

There....documented and in black and white! Jeff you're covered now if you live! :eek:

corsair23
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the advice and encouraging words everyone! I am in much better spirits today despite the damn near blizzards at the kid's soccer games today :eek: - Colorado weather, you got to love it!!

Anyway, we have a VERY special and talented club member who is trying to help me out. He tried to fix it today (even though he has a bunch of stuff to do as well) but it will have to wait until Monday when I can source a 12x125 helicoil. That should get us to Moab and back safely and then I'll go from there. If I can get everything else finished up tomorrow except for that then I am golden. If anyone has a line on a good used or even a new knuckle let me know! That will be the long term fix.

Rzeppa
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the advice and encouraging words everyone! I am in much better spirits today despite the damn near blizzards at the kid's soccer games today :eek: - Colorado weather, you got to love it!!

Anyway, we have a VERY special and talented club member who is trying to help me out. He tried to fix it today (even though he has a bunch of stuff to do as well) but it will have to wait until Monday when I can source a 12x125 helicoil. That should get us to Moab and back safely and then I'll go from there. If I can get everything else finished up tomorrow except for that then I am golden. If anyone has a line on a good used or even a new knuckle let me know! That will be the long term fix.

Jeff, I *think* I have a 12 x 1.25 tap if you want to try to simply chase the threads. I may even have a 12 x 1.25 helicoil setup, on both cases I'll have to check.

On plan "B", I totally agree with previous replies, wheel your 40! It's a totally sweet rig! Leave the popup at home, take the kids in the jump seat (I have for sure both short and long if you feel like popping them in there for the kids). Camp in a tent instead of the popup and it will be an adventure.

Happy cruisin'!

RockRunner
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
If you need to locate the heli coil try AAA metric, they have nearly everything.

nakman
04-26-2008, 11:30 PM
You can do this, Jeff, IMO plan A should be a new knuckle from Oleg or Christo or somewhere else.. by the time you buy the Helicoil tap, the right sized drill, and the installation tool, you're going to be close to $100.. how much is a knuckle? heck borrow one from the wife's ride... :hill:

here's the full repair set from MSC http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1648928&PMT4NO=41971459 $65, by the time you ship it here another 10-15. Not sure if you can piece together all the stuff for less than that, your best bet helicoil-wise is someone around has it all and you can just borrow it.

My vote:

a. get a new knuckle, or borrow one from your other 80.
b. take the 40 :)
c. Helicoil..

corsair23
04-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Jeff, I *think* I have a 12 x 1.25 tap if you want to try to simply chase the threads. I may even have a 12 x 1.25 helicoil setup, on both cases I'll have to check.

On plan "B", I totally agree with previous replies, wheel your 40! It's a totally sweet rig! Leave the popup at home, take the kids in the jump seat (I have for sure both short and long if you feel like popping them in there for the kids). Camp in a tent instead of the popup and it will be an adventure.

Happy cruisin'!

Thanks Jeff for the suggestions and the nice comment about the 40 :)

As for the problem, the threads have been "chased" and the bolt (new) cleaned up. Still wouldn't hold enough for comfort though. If you have a 12x1.25 helicoil let me know. Hopefully CarQuest will come through but having a backup is never a bad idea :thumb:

As for the 40...I can't install jump seats on account of the full cage :(. I've got seats for the 40, just need to someday find the time to get them installed. Even then we couldn't fit all the stuff required for the family for 5 days in Moab so we'd have to bring a second vehicle. The :Princess:'s 80 is not setup to tow and she is not comfortable doing so anyway. Plan B for us right now would be to drag the popup out with the FIL's Dodge and she'll drive her 80 and we just do some easy trails and sight see. Plan C would be to convince her that she can drive the FIL's Dodge and tow the popup and I drive out the 40 and I try to figure out a way to secure the seats for the little ones :thumb:

Next year though it will be just me so I plan to bring the 40...:D

corsair23
04-26-2008, 11:43 PM
If you need to locate the heli coil try AAA metric, they have nearly everything.

Thanks Tom...I check into that as well :thumb:

corsair23
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
You can do this, Jeff, IMO plan A should be a new knuckle from Oleg or Christo or somewhere else.. by the time you buy the Helicoil tap, the right sized drill, and the installation tool, you're going to be close to $100.. how much is a knuckle? heck borrow one from the wife's ride... :hill:

here's the full repair set from MSC http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1648928&PMT4NO=41971459 $65, by the time you ship it here another 10-15. Not sure if you can piece together all the stuff for less than that, your best bet helicoil-wise is someone around has it all and you can just borrow it.

My vote:

a. get a new knuckle, or borrow one from your other 80.
b. take the 40 :)
c. Helicoil..

Thanks Tim...All you RS guys are showing me just how great you all are :thumb:

As for the helicoil, it is going to be about $40 I believe. Small price to pay to see the smiles on the kid's faces in Moab and as long as it is a safe alternative for now I'm good. Borrowing the :Princess:'s knuckle would probably result in me having to move in with you :lmao:.

You forgot option D though :rolleyes:.

c. Swap Tim his 80 for my 40 for CM08 :hill:

Shark Bait
04-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Don't worry Jeff, we won't give your spot away.

Good luck!

sleeoffroad
04-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Jefj, I know I have two knuckles on the axle on a wrecked 80 I have at work. Catch is it is still on the truck. Good news is we did take the third member out already so it was apart and held together with a few bolts. We are at the shop today(Sunday) . If you want you can come and get one and use it for Moab. Just get me a good used one back when the dust has settled. email direct to christo@sleeoffroad.com or just swing by.

We have done the helicoil thing, but honestly when you are said and done cost wise you might as well buy a new one. I will also check what I have in terms of ones off the truck when I get to the shop.

DaveInDenver
04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
If you have a 12x1.25 helicoil let me know.
Can't help on the Helicoil. I have them for the exhaust studs on my engine, which are 8mm.

But I do have 12x1.25 taps. In fact I have a couple, a regular cutting tap and a bottoming tap (which I had in case I needed to re-thread the head bolt blind holes in my block). I also have a 14mmx1.50 tap if you wanted to drill and tap it to the next larger JIS size.

I will be home and in the garage all day today and I'm not far from you. Will PM you my phone number and address, if you need them.

Rzeppa
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I just checked. I do have 12 x 1.25 taps (two of them!) AND I also have 12 x 1.25 helicoils. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the slightly over sized tap to go with the helicoils, but you are more than welcome to any/all of the above.

corsair23
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks all...

I'm gone most of the day today with makeup soccer games and the like. I won't be able to do much, if anything on the LX today but I'll keep the info handy just in case.

You guys rock!!

corsair23
04-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Hate to leave a story with no ending so....

Looks like the problem has been fixed, for now, and we should be in Moab hopefully before 7pm tomorrow :thumb:

A HUGE thanks to Ben for helping me get the LX road worthy again :thumb: