PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for getting leaf springs centered on axle?

Jacket
04-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm kinda frustrated right now, and looking for advice. I'm swapping out the rear leaf springs on my 40. The first one went on fine, but now I'm on the other side, and the centering pin on the leaf pack is about 3" from the hole on the axle mount. I've tried getting things to align using the crow bar method, but there's just too much ground to cover. I can't get the leafs to shift back far enough by flexing them, and the axle won't move much.

Any ideas?

Jacket
04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
I had already hand-tightened the one side (including U bolts) before starting in on the other. I'm thinking I need to pull the ubolts back off the one side, raise the axle back up, and then realign everything and try to get both sides lined up, and then lower the axle back down reinstall the Ubolts. Sound about right?

Hulk
04-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Do you have a comealong? $13 at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30329). Very useful for moving stubborn axles.

corsair23
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Matt,

Maybe a stupid question, but are the leafs the same length from the center pin hole to the front eye and rear eye? Maybe you've got one side reversed/flipped :confused:

Like I said, maybe a stupid question but I know I've read threads about "flipping" the springs to increase wheelbase on a 40. I just can't remember if that was on the fronts, rears, or both...

nakman
04-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Remove the little grease zirc from the splines on the driveshaft, that vacuum is holding you up. Then lay on your back with your shoulder into the front tire, and push the axle back with your feet.

Rzeppa
04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Maybe you've got one side reversed/flipped :confused:

Like I said, maybe a stupid question but I know I've read threads about "flipping" the springs to increase wheelbase on a 40. I just can't remember if that was on the fronts, rears, or both...

Yep, that's what I was thinking. On FJ40s, the rear springs aren't centered - the axle sits a couple inches toward the front from center.

DaveInDenver
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Yep, that's what I was thinking. On FJ40s, the rear springs aren't centered - the axle sits a couple inches toward the front from center.
LOL! When I read Matt's first post I thought the exact same thing, that his spring pack is flipped front to back. Aren't most leaf springs asymmetrical? A lot of them are also left/right specific (my NWOR ones had a 'D' and 'P' after the part number).

Jacket
04-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks. They are not backwards - I checked and double-checked that before I started. I think my problem is that the one side is too rigidly set for me to be able to manipulate and align the other. Just a hunch at this point.

No comealong, but I"ve got some ratchet straps, and I'll give a look for the grease zerk if I really need to put some muscle into it. Cleaning up Lefthand Carnage yesterday am (damn messy shooters...), then spending the late afternoon/evening lifting springs has made me sore and tired this morning:ranger:

leiniesred
04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
I too thought 1 spring is backwards.

How about unbolting the spring from the shackle? that gives you a 48 inch lever to help you move stuff around.

Jacket
04-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the advice - I got the little f#@$ers on..... Not exactly how I planned/envisioned, but in the end, it seems to have worked. The ratchet straps were a big help (thanks Matt) to get the axle pulled forward, But it kept wanting to rotate, so it never would sit flat on the springs. So I ended up jacking up and flexing the springs, and bringing them to the diff, and then using the Ubolts to make the marriage.

So now I get to ride Pepe Le Pew for a while until I get around to the front.

Got a few painting projects coming up, so I also managed to built a "paint room" in anticipation of my Budbuilt skids arriving tomorrow. Prime, paint, and bolt up - all by Tuesday...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/FJ40/IMG_0233.jpg

Gotta love it when wife and kids head to grandmas! :thumb: