PDA

View Full Version : Dead from Grand Junction

Chris
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Moab was a blast as always. The trip home not so much.

Mile marker 30+ now has a stripe. Not sure what blew, looks like the front pinion seal but since I was in 2WD it doesn't make sense. Maybe Steel Bender lived up to it's name?

AAA towed it to Safari LTD, wheeled with a Safari guy and had his card in my pocket, oh well a day of rest in the Hampden Inn isn't all bad.

Mendocino
05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Ouch!!:eek:

Good luck with the repair and enjoy the rest:thumb:

wesintl
05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
bummer chris. on a good note it's going to safari, I'm sure hugh will get you on your way. If There is anything we can do from home let us know.

Chris
05-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'm confident Safari will help me just fine, just wish I knew what happened. Cool how many people stopped in the 35 minutes I was there. 6 people in 3 rigs I did runs with, 2 total strangers, 1 old friend.

Not cool how many FJC's flew by looking the other way.

Romer
05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
What time did this happen Chris?, a few of us went by Grand Junction about noon and didn't see you.

Hugh will take care of you.

Let us know if you need anything

Chris
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
We were about an hour behind you Ken. It's all good, we made sure our AAA was current before leaving. Never needed it before.

Barb convinced me a week was enough in Moab so we headed home. Women's intuition? :p:

ScaldedDog
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I must have passed you just before that happened. (Silver 4Runner behind a black Excursion). We were leapfrogging on the hills, then you weren't there anymore...

Sounds like you're being well taken care of, though.

Mark

Rezarf
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Bummer Bro, let us know if you need rescuing okay? I hope it is an easy (read inexpensive) fix... :thumb:

...btw, when did you stop being "redcruiser?"

Chris
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I must have passed you just before that happened. (Silver 4Runner behind a black Excursion). We were leapfrogging on the hills, then you weren't there anymore...

Sounds like you're being well taken care of, though.

Mark

Yep, I could catch up on the downhill only to fade back going uphill, true 62 performance. :lmao:

Bummer Bro, let us know if you need rescuing okay? I hope it is an easy (read inexpensive) fix... :thumb:

...btw, when did you stop being "redcruiser?"

Not as easy as a leaf spring center bolt on the trail Drew. ;)

(Red Cruiser ended pretty much when I sold FJ62.com to Woody/Mud and picked up my 55 and got involved with Front Range 4x4.)

Thanks guys, hoping it's not a big deal but :dunno:

SROR/AKA 2BAD
05-04-2008, 10:38 PM
should of taken the 55 ;)

hope all is well.

Chris
05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
should of taken the 55 ;)

hope all is well.

:lmao:

Hulk
05-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry to hear it. You must've been off the highway by the time Markofsky and I blasted through Grand Junction about 6:00 p.m.

corsair23
05-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Bummer :(

I hope we didn't miss seeing you broken down...We left Moab right about 10am so we were probably just ahead of you and somewhere behind Romer. I saw a few folks on the way back....

Rompies blasted by us right just before I70 of Hwy 191 and we quickly lost sight of him on I70...Passed the BJ60 (NGIRI license plate) before the border...Passed Hatfield at the bottom (West side) of Vail Pass and then caught up with the Morgan family on the opposite side of Vail Pass. We cheated though and the FIL met us in Eagle with his Dodge and drug the popup back to their place for us :D - Only used a 1/2 tank of gas from Glenwood Springs to home. Even pulling the popup he left us in the dust going up the hills :eek:

MDH33
05-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Doh!

Sorry about the break down Chris. I hope you get it squared away and it's not anything too major.

Chris
05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Better to have happened on I-70 than Steel Bender which I suspect was the point of damage, suspecting t-case myself.

Just talked to Hugh and should know before very long whether I'm renting a car or driving the 62 home today.

Rezarf
05-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Crossing our fingers bud, keep us posted!

Drew

RockRunner
05-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Rompies blasted by us right just before I70 of Hwy 191 and we quickly lost sight of him on I70...

Jeff, sorry about that:o. I did not see the sign to merge, behind the big truck, so all of a sudden we were down to one lane. Was hoping you would catch me so I could say sorry in person. I was in a hurry to get back so I could make it to my hockey game, play offs you know :o

isotel
05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry to here about that Chris.. Hope you get her home safe!

corsair23
05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Jeff, sorry about that:o. I did not see the sign to merge, behind the big truck, so all of a sudden we were down to one lane. Was hoping you would catch me so I could say sorry in person. I was in a hurry to get back so I could make it to my hockey game, play offs you know :o

No worries Tom...Scared the bejeezers out of the :Princess: though. As for catching you...Not a chance. Maybe without the popup attached.

Chris
05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
We made it home this evening in a Ford Focus.

Looks like the old A440F has seen it's last mile and seized. I'm waiting for Hugh to confirm for certain but it's not looking good. He has a couple replacements on hand but after discussing it Barb and I decided a 5 speed would be a better replacement. Anyone want to buy a pig?

Romer
05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Glad your safe and at home Chris

Rezarf
05-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Really a bummer bud. I hope they figure it is something else. If you need anything, let us know. Any idea how it let go, and siezed?

Drew

Chris
05-05-2008, 11:03 PM
It's a bit early for the tranny to go at 250K but that's probably the real reason. Heat kills the A440F and that's probably all it was, heat from running 70-80 for an hour. No indication anything was bad until the smoke was billowing behind us.

Shark Bait
05-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Glad you finally made it home, Chris. :clap:

Uncle Ben
05-06-2008, 12:21 AM
It's a bit early for the tranny to go at 250K but that's probably the real reason. Heat kills the A440F and that's probably all it was, heat from running 70-80 for an hour. No indication anything was bad until the smoke was billowing behind us.

250k was when the front pump in the A440 in my 62 let go too! Hopefully the A343 goes a little further as my 80 is over 200k on the clock now! :rolleyes: Glad your home safe and it sounds like you'll be returning to the western slope soon!

RockRunner
05-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Good to hear you are home and save.

I don't think that tranny was designed to be run at 70-80 for an hour with bigger tires. Did you have a tranny cooler installed? After reading a bunch of articles and checking around the cooler is your best friend for the auto tranny.

leiniesred
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Glad you are home. I was secretly hopin' the drain plug fell out. :/

Crash
05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
If you ever want to test drive an Extreme A440F equipped FJ62 let me know Chris.

Chris
05-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks folks, nice to be home. No tranny cooler on it though I have always been well aware of its importance. Never had an overheating indication in any way, probably shows the idiot light wasn't working. :o

Thanks for the offer Steve but as cool as the Extreme A440F is from all accounts it's time to say goodbye to the automatic. Barb and I discussed it on the way home and it was a short discussion. :thumb:

Sad to be w/o the truck for the next 3 weeks or so but will have it ready for our return trip to Moab in July. Sadder to have to part with the 55 but it has to go if I'm to pay Safari for their work. :(

wesintl
05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Chris, so what are you putting in an h55f?

Chris
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes, out with the A440F, in with the H55F.

farnhamstj
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear you had problems, but glad you got home alright. Good to have met you Chris.

powderpig
05-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Just a thought for you, a t-case doubler is a good thing at this time as well. It will make the harder wheeling in tough terrain much easier with out burning a clutch. Less stress on some componets of the drive train. Just a thought for you. Sorry to hear about your unexpected loss of a tranny. later Robbie

Chris
05-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks Robbie, do you happen to have such a doubler? Until I sell the pig I don't know what my finances are but it sure is worth considering.

Thanks for leading the great Fins & Things run!

Chris
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry to hear you had problems, but glad you got home alright. Good to have met you Chris.

Farnham, we actually first met on the Ouray run last year when you broke an axle. Since we remember each other by what we break I suppose I'll be remembered as the guy who blew his tranny after CM08. :o

Rzeppa
05-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Just a thought for you, a t-case doubler is a good thing at this time as well. It will make the harder wheeling in tough terrain much easier with out burning a clutch. Less stress on some componets of the drive train. Just a thought for you. Sorry to hear about your unexpected loss of a tranny. later Robbie

Reportedly, you can load lower AA gears into the split case that goes behind an H55F.

Uncle Ben
05-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks Robbie, do you happen to have such a doubler? Until I sell the pig I don't know what my finances are but it sure is worth considering.

Thanks for leading the great Fins & Things run!

Rock Box, or Marlin....are the only two choices I know of for that setup.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Rock Box, or Marlin....are the only two choices I know of for that setup.

According to Advance Adapters web site (https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/ccc1318-fj60-26-fj62-tranfer-case-gear-sets.htm) they still offer lower t-case gears for the split case that goes behind the H55F. Wayne first told me about this when he sold me that HZJ75 with the H55F from the factory. It uses the same split case that USA spec FJ60s had from May 1985 up. A lot of (most?) of the used H55Fs that are on the market in the USA are from Oz and have their split case still attached, and it is wise to go through them at least, or even kit them anyway as a matter of course before install, so may as well drop in the lower gears while in there anyway. And of course the crate H55Fs that you can get through USA dealers don't come with case, so you'd still want to go through it.

Chris
05-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't looked into the costs involved since I'm still waiting for the definitive word from Hugh that my A440F is indeed toast. Budget constraints will dictate what I do since just the H55F will be expensive in itself. Makes sense to do more while in there but...

The fact that I'm buying a house complicates matters in a big way. Finally going to have a garage to work in but have to sell the 55, kind of kills the excitement of finally having a garage. :(

Dollar for dollar what do you experts suggest would be best?

TIA!

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Dollar for dollar what do you experts suggest would be best?

I didn't check the pricing on the AA (Mark's) gears, but they can't be more than a rock box, orion or extra t-case. OTOH, there's alway the NP203 add-on. They're not too expensive and are a fairly common mod on 60s. Anything you add to the back of the tranny will require retubing the driveshafts, and that's certainly not free.

It's very rare to convert a 62 to a manual tranny, and I haven't seen much or heard much from my friends on details. I'm assuming that the t-case that goes behind the A440F is not a bolt up to the H55F. If it is, then another place to look would be to regear the diffs, as far as cost/benefit. Part of the calculus to that decision is what size tires you plan to run.

Crash
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Not that rare anymore and the case bolts right up to the H55F.

Uncle Ben
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I didn't check the pricing on the AA (Mark's) gears, but they can't be more than a rock box, orion or extra t-case. OTOH, there's alway the NP203 add-on. They're not too expensive and are a fairly common mod on 60s. Anything you add to the back of the tranny will require retubing the driveshafts, and that's certainly not free.

It's very rare to convert a 62 to a manual tranny, and I haven't seen much or heard much from my friends on details. I'm assuming that the t-case that goes behind the A440F is not a bolt up to the H55F. If it is, then another place to look would be to regear the diffs, as far as cost/benefit. Part of the calculus to that decision is what size tires you plan to run.

Jeff,
I've been out of that loop for a short time but I believe the 203 reduction box is only a viable option with a GM transmission.

Groucho has done the H55/FJ-62 swap...ask him about details if needed!

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Jeff,
I've been out of that loop for a short time but I believe the 203 reduction box is only a viable option with a GM transmission.

I first saw/heard about the conversion when Mark Whatley did Bruce Miller's 60 with stock t-case in 2000. Since then I have spoken with Jerry Nichols (he's done quite a few) and Mark about it and seen several that others have done the mod. IIRC, there is an adapter plate involved. But supposedly it is among the most economical ways to get lower gears with a stock "late" model cruiser drivetrain.

Like anything you add behind the tranny, it's really not suited for 40s unless they have longer wheelbase and/or serious suspension mods, it's mainly a wagon thing where you have more rear DS length to chop off to make room for the new box.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Groucho has done the H55/FJ-62 swap...ask him about details if needed!

I didn't know that; definitely have to ask him. I (am still) interested in his 60 with the H55F for our trip to AK.

Man Jerk
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I've put an H42 in an FJ62. Not technically difficult, but it does take quite a few parts to make it work.

The 203 reduction box will run you about 1k for the adapters. They are made right here in Colorado Springs by Jerry Nichols.

Hulk
05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I did the Mark's gears in the split case in my 1981 FJ40. Changed my transfer case from 2:1 to 3:1 -- it was a good upgrade. IIRC, cost was about $1200. Bought everything from Man-A-Fre.

Uncle Ben
05-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I've put an H42 in an FJ62. Not technically difficult, but it does take quite a few parts to make it work.

The 203 reduction box will run you about 1k for the adapters. They are made right here in Colorado Springs by Jerry Nichols.

Actually they are made by AA but Jerry holds the control of them!

Chris
05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Hugh confirmed it is the tranny as expected. Thanks for the suggestions but paying him to do the H55F swap is more than I can really afford as it is.

Looking forward to driving a 5 speed!