PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Dropped the drive shaft

RicardoJM
05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
So I'm picking a buddy up to go to a local fly shop around lunch time for a seminar. He says "will that thing make it over there?". I answered, "yup, I guarantee it", so then he says "how about back home?", that I answered with "that I don't guarantee..."

I should have made the guarantee good for both ways. As we were arriving at the fly shop I noticed a bit of a shimmy upon acceleration, but did not give it much thought. On the way home the shimmy got worse and turned into clunking. I slowed down, to make the next right turn and get off the main road and take a look at what was going on. Just as I make the turn the noise got real bad then real quiet. I tap the gas, the engine revs but there is no response from the drive train.

Limped over the the far side of the road step out and see my drive shaft about 30' behind me. So, we locked the hubs and used front wheel drive to limp the 50 yards into a parking lot. Called home and the BoomBoom ran out with some tools and the bag of bolts. Found some close enough bolts to put the shaft back on and limped my way home.

Everything is a learning experience, a couple of weeks ago when I was doing the parking brake cable I remember remarking to myself = "hmm that's odd there are no lock washers on any of these four drive shaft nuts and bolts, that must be more of the famous over engineering on these old rigs..." I really didn't give it another thought beyond that. At the end of the job I put the bolts in and cranked the nuts real tight. In retrospect, I am new but even I know enough that if you want to make sure it holds there should be a lock washer involved. :p:

From now on, if it doesn't look right, I'm going to seek another opinion or two. This situation turned out ok, no one was hurt and were back under way in less that 30 minutes. Next time, it could be more painful.

Ok, now for the Tech part of the post. Toyota parts is not open on Sunday, but the ACE has some big shouldered 10mm (Grade 10.9) nuts and bolts, they even have lock washers. Earlier years need 8mm and later years will need 11mm. Toyota has drive shaft bolts, but in a pinch these will do. Everything is hooked back up and running strong. :thumb:

It was nice to know what was not right, how to get the truck out of the street under its own power, how to rig it up to make it home and how to fix it. While drive shaft is not something I have done directly with others in the club the things I've learned over the last few months ended up being enough to get me through today. :risingsun

Crash
05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Trail fix ability separates the men from the boys, Ricardo, as you have found out. ;) Good job!! :beer:
Steve

So I'm picking a buddy up to go to a local fly shop around lunch time for a seminar. He says "will that thing make it over there?". I answered, "yup, I guarantee it", so then he says "how about back home?", that I answered with "that I don't guarantee..."

I should have made the guarantee good for both ways. As we were arriving at the fly shop I noticed a bit of a shimmy upon acceleration, but did not give it much thought. On the way home the shimmy got worse and turned into clunking. I slowed down, to make the next right turn and get off the main road and take a look at what was going on. Just as I make the turn the noise got real bad then real quiet. I tap the gas, the engine revs but there is no response from the drive train.

Limped over the the far side of the road step out and see my drive shaft about 30' behind me. So, we locked the hubs and used front wheel drive to limp the 50 yards into a parking lot. Called home and the BoomBoom ran out with some tools and the bag of bolts. Found some close enough bolts to put the shaft back on and limped my way home.

Everything is a learning experience, a couple of weeks ago when I was doing the parking brake cable I remember remarking to myself = "hmm that's odd there are no lock washers on any of these four drive shaft nuts and bolts, that must be more of the famous over engineering on these old rigs..." I really didn't give it another thought beyond that. At the end of the job I put the bolts in and cranked the nuts real tight. In retrospect, I am new but even I know enough that if you want to make sure it holds there should be a lock washer involved. :p:

From now on, if it doesn't look right, I'm going to seek another opinion or two. This situation turned out ok, no one was hurt and were back under way in less that 30 minutes. Next time, it could be more painful.

Ok, now for the Tech part of the post. Toyota parts is not open on Sunday, but the ACE has some big shouldered 10mm (Grade 10.9) nuts and bolts, they even have lock washers. Earlier years need 8mm and later years will need 11mm. Toyota has drive shaft bolts, but in a pinch these will do. Everything is hooked back up and running strong. :thumb:

It was nice to know what was not right, how to get the truck out of the street under its own power, how to rig it up to make it home and how to fix it. While drive shaft is not something I have done directly with others in the club the things I've learned over the last few months ended up being enough to get me through today. :risingsun

nakman
05-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Could have been a lot worse Ricardo, glad you guys got it back home. Cranked the nuts though? That could be your problem, if the nuts have those little grabbers on them they're not supposed to turn, you crank the bolts on the pinion side, and nuts on the T-case side. I can't remember if 40 stuff is the same though... anyone?

Beater
05-05-2008, 07:48 AM
on a side note... When we going fishing?

j

RicardoJM
05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
nakman - I did the parking brake the same weekend you and Matt were doing your lifts, it wasn't until Timm's lift that I learned to look for the grabbers. That said, IIRC the nuts and bolts were just "regular style fj40 bolts", i.e. no large shoulders, no grabber things and brown from age.

green_machine - that is a very good question. I enjoy fly fishing, unlike working on old cars, fly fishing is something I know a little about.

Rzeppa
05-05-2008, 05:34 PM
That's great that you were able to do the roadside fix so quickly! FYI, flange bolts come in 10mm also, however I was unaware they also come in 8mm. The Toyota ones are nicer than the hardware store variety, the JIS heads are smaller so there's a little more clearance for turning wrenches, but deeper for more thread engagement. Also, the OEM lock washers are a bit stronger than the hardware store variety.