PDA

View Full Version : U bolt flip kits for fj40

Rezarf
05-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Howdy, I know the 4+ stuff is great from Man-a-fre, but does anyone else make a kit to flip the front u bolts? I may fab up a set for the rear, but with the one ubolt jumping the diff housing I am going to buy a set for the front.

Thanks!

Drew

Uncle Ben
05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Beware the simple ones everyone else sells. They work for a mini but Cruisers need the extra locating plate! Given your fab skills I'm surprised you are considering buying them! The top plate is super easy and the locating plate just will take some effort but not that big of a deal. The bottom plate could easily be made with some 1/4" strap and some stitches. The ones i sold Sharkbait are the 4+ ones....very good design! Check them out and reverse engineer them. Don't even feel bad about it either as they had no problem screwing us around on the Raffle truck front bumper! :rant:

nakman
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Well for that matter Drew, for someone with your fab skills, why even run U-bolts? I bet you could whip up a mean coil & 4-link.... :weld:

Rezarf
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Man, I think you guys are over estimating my skills... I have always subscribed to the don't mess around with brakes and steering school. Might be simple enough just to buy them and get moving then spending a weekend on ubolt plates.

Thanks! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Man, I think you guys are over estimating my skills... I have always subscribed to the don't mess around with brakes and steering school. Might be simple enough just to buy them and get moving then spending a weekend on ubolt plates.

Thanks! :thumb:

What are you worried about? The U-bolts hold everything together....don't mess with them and the rest should hold! :lmao::lmao: Build your own and the money you'll save can buy 1/2 of your plasma cutter!

treerootCO
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Did anyone see the BJ70's U-bolt on Metal Masher? :eek:

SteveH
05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Do like the typical PO would - just weld the axle to the springs! Problem solved!

rover67
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I will probably do the same mod soon. I trashed my u bolts at moab. the drug on a few rocks and i guess i could have prevented it, but oh well.

the 4+ ones look nice.... i think i may just go that route..

Shark Bait
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
You guys are welcome to check out my flipped u-bolts. LMK. :D

teamextreme
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
The flip kit I fab'd was one of the easier things I've done on my rig. You can see pics of the work in this thread http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6861&page=2

I say build it yourself. I got square u-bolts made at Denver Spring, cut out the top plates and welded on some spring perches from 4wp to them. Then cut out the bottom plates. The bottom plates did require a groove cut into them on a mill to hold the u-bolts in place. Cutting the grooves is the only tough part that I couldn't do, but luckily I had access to a machine shop at the time. All steel was 1/4" (maybe 3/8" for bottom plates). The offset front passenger was achieved by cutting the perch in half for one side and fabbing the other side out of a peice of angle.

wesintl
05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Did anyone see the BJ70's U-bolt on Metal Masher? :eek:

we could use some pics... I just looked at that ubolt last night. I'll have to snap a pic of the break.

Rzeppa
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
When this subject came up on the CCoT board some years ago, several posters showed their home-brew designs which were simple, easy to fab and much beefier than the store-bought variety.

mtncrsr
05-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Howdy, I know the 4+ stuff is great from Man-a-fre, but does anyone else make a kit to flip the front u bolts? I may fab up a set for the rear, but with the one ubolt jumping the diff housing I am going to buy a set for the front.

Thanks!

Drew

Are you wanting to flip the bolts just for clearance? Years ago Land Cruiser Advanced Handling made a kit that got the u bolts above the bottom of the axle without the need to flip them. It was a pretty cleaver design that looked quite strong. Now this is from memory about from about 15 years ago, I believe that it consisted of plate steel shaped to fit the curvature of bottom half diameter of your axle tube. Gusseted horizontal flanges with holes for the u bolts were welded onto the curved plate at the half axle tube diameter. The u bolts, which would need to be shortened, clamped the flange leaving the bolts above the bottom of the axle housing.

Hope that this made some type of sense.:)

wesintl
05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
It's pretty hard to beat the 4+ ones in terms of beefiness. While i'm all for fabbing sometimes it's worth it to buy em and slap em on when you factor in your time, price of steel, scrap etc. No doubt you could probably fab some though Drew.

Rezarf
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
It's pretty hard to beat the 4+ ones in terms of beefiness. While i'm all for fabbing sometimes it's worth it to buy em and slap em on when you factor in your time, price of steel, scrap etc. No doubt you could probably fab some though Drew.

Wes, your totally on in this case. By the time I drive down to denver, pick up the steel, fab it up, drill, measure, grind, cuss, and paint the plates, then buy new ubolts, and then fab up the spring perches for the top... it is easier to buy them this time around.

I appreciate it everyone! :thumb:

Drew

Hulk
05-09-2008, 02:21 PM
$300, eh? Wow.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/uboltflipkit.htm

wesintl
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
1" for $300 is totally worth it. I just bet you wish you could get 4" for 1200 right ;)

Rezarf
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Nope just doing the front... 150 works out about right. And I can get it done in an hour verse a day... :D

Hulk
05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
1" for $300 is totally worth it. I just bet you wish you could get 4" for 1200 right ;)

You get a full inch of clearance? Wow. If I ever seriously wheel my 40 again, maybe I'll buy these.

rover67
05-09-2008, 06:24 PM
honestly, i have fabbed quite a bit of stuff up and i am tempted to buy the 4+ ones too. call me lazy..

Rzeppa
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
You get a full inch of clearance? Wow. If I ever seriously wheel my 40 again, maybe I'll buy these.

Just wheel the snot out of it and be happy :-)

Rezarf
05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
honestly, i have fabbed quite a bit of stuff up and i am tempted to buy the 4+ ones too. call me lazy..

Want to split the shipping?

Drew

rover67
05-09-2008, 09:51 PM
ooo. now that sounds like an idea.

call me when you get a chance.. i can order through TC Racing (our old shop when i was in mem) and get some % off.. will be back in memphis at the shop next weekend so i can pick them up and carry them back on the plane.