PDA

View Full Version : 60 Caliper bolts??????

Trapper50cal
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey RS folks

During CM08 I noticed my caliper bolts (that connect the caliper to the knuckle housing) had come loose. I thought they might as I had noticed they were partially stripped when I rebuilt the front end)

Couple questions:

Is it a 12M1.25-50mm Head Size 17mm ?

or is it different length?

Helicoil or Sert?

Kit #?

Would Cdan be the guy to talk too?
Muds down so I can't get his data

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Trapper50cal
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
What? Do I smell or something? all these views and no posts?

leiniesred
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I dunno how big they are. I'm just a mini truck guy with FJ40 rotors. Go to the junkyard and get some time tested, seasoned ones. That is what I would do. Red Chili would go to the dealer and get brand new ones and a tube of blue locktite.

If the housing is stripped, I would get 6shooter knuckles because it would be a cool upgrade.

Rzeppa
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey RS folks

During CM08 I noticed my caliper bolts (that connect the caliper to the knuckle housing) had come loose. I thought they might as I had noticed they were partially stripped when I rebuilt the front end)

Couple questions:

Is it a 12M1.25-50mm Head Size 17mm ?

or is it different length?

Helicoil or Sert?

Kit #?

Would Cdan be the guy to talk too?
Muds down so I can't get his data

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If they're not stripped, just tighten the bolts (Do'h!)

If they are, the proper fix is new ($$$) or used knuckle.

Yes, 12mm x 1.25. Per a recent previous thread, I have proper tap and helicoils, but not proper helicoil (slightly oversized) tap for the helicoils. If you want to go that route, you're welcome to borrow my tap and have some helicoils, free.

Yes, 17mm head. Don't recall the length, but 50mm sounds about right.

Happy cruisin'!

Uncle Ben
05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Replace the knuckles! Heli-coil would just be a quick fix. It might hold forever or it might not.....your life needs better odds than that!

Rzeppa
05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Replace the knuckles! Heli-coil would just be a quick fix. It might hold forever or it might not.....your life needs better odds than that!

LOL! That's why I wrote "proper"!

If this were my rig, I'd replace the knuckle. Helicoils are only 4-5 threads worth of engagement. They work, but not as well as the original full thread engagement.

corsair23
05-07-2008, 11:56 PM
x2 or 3 or whatever on what the others state...

Just had this done on my DS knuckle, top bolt hole, on the LX - I noticed the bolt was a little boogered up so I bought a couple new ones. Couldn't get the new bolt to torque down upon re-installation :(. I was in a time crunch to make Moab so the decision was made to go with a helicoil. I didn't plan on it being a long term fix but I must say the expert installation (not done by me :)) has meant that sucker hasn't budged. During installation red locktight was used on the helicoil insert and when it was set blue locktight was used on the caliper bolt.

You need the entire kit including the special helicoil insert dealyo and that kit ran me nearly $80 at Carquest :eek: - On top of that the kits are size specific so without the kit you are pretty much S.O.L. I checked on a new knuckle and local RS club pricing was a shade over $200. The problem was it would have taken a week to get a new knuckle so the $80 was money well spent to see the :D on the kid's faces in Moab.

On a positive note, if anyone local ever needs a 12x.125 helicoil just drop me a note :thumb:

Trapper50cal
05-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys,

2 folks on Mud felt the best route was to tap to 1/2" fine thread inchies instead of adding back to metric with heli....anybody wanna chime in on that idea?

Red_Chili
05-08-2008, 08:21 AM
That would work fine but I hate doing it.

That said, that is exactly what I did when adding frame plate to beef my steering box mount. In that case metric fasteners of the appropriate length were just not convenient and I wanted to get it done. Once on, those bolts will almost never be removed anyway.

Yours would be.

Uncle Ben
05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys,

2 folks on Mud felt the best route was to tap to 1/2" fine thread inchies instead of adding back to metric with heli....anybody wanna chime in on that idea?

Well if someone on Mud recommended it then who else could argue? :rolleyes:

Trapper50cal
05-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Well if someone on Mud recommended it then who else could argue? :rolleyes:

Well, I talked to a mechanic (toyota) and he recommended heli over 1/2 inch fine thread, he said the heli with "greensleeve"? which I assume is like loctite would be stronger because tapping into and then threading a bolt into cast would give sooner than something with a "sleeve" involved.

Opinions?

Rzeppa
05-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I've seen green stuff on OEM bolts (like the ones that held on my step daughter's rear caliper that I just did pads on last weekend). The green stuff goes over the CAD and looks like it kind of a pre-applied thread locking compound.

But if it were my rig, I'd helicoil it to get off the trail and back home (BTDT), but then I'd start looking for a new knuckle. Heck you needed to repack your knuckles and birfs anyway, right?

Trapper50cal
05-09-2008, 07:57 AM
No, i don't....
I just rebuilt the entire frontend 2months ago, marlin inners, new knuckle bearings and races, new wheel bearings and races, longfields, seals, felt sweepers the whole enchilada.

So no, I'm not dying to get back in there.

rover67
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
mud.. jeeze..