PDA

View Full Version : Toyota buying back rusty Tacos

Ali FJ80
05-07-2008, 04:19 PM
hardly ever see a car company do things like this.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/toyota-offers-to-buy-back-rusty-tacomas/index.html?hp

"In a program that covers 813,000 trucks and could cost almost $100 million, Toyota is offering to buy back 1995-2000 Tacoma pickups with frames so badly rusted that they cannot be repaired.
The automaker is also extending the warranty on those frames from the normal three years or 36,000 miles to 15 years (from the time they were new) and unlimited mileage."

Hulk
05-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Kind of odd that the frames are rusting so badly after so few years.

Seldom Seen
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Kind of odd that the frames are rusting so badly after so few years.

Not really, considering that the Taco is made in the US. The frames were sub-ed out to Dana Corp. Just another fine example of US auto makers commitment to...um..um...Quality:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Three Wheel Ben
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
All of the affected ones are from Michigan, east. The ones I've looked at have all been from new england. Besides if your 15yr old truck just got bought back from the manufacturer and you got a bunch of cash burning a hole in your pocket and need a truck what are you gonna buy:D

And yes dana made the frames.

Beater
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
you can blame the us all you want, but SOMEONE in toyota approved the bid....

I have one word for you: Indemnification

toyota will hold dana accountable, and dana will hold the supplier of the steel or the coating accountable, who, if they are lucky enough to be the manufacturer of the steel or the coating, will get stuck with the bill. Then the corporate insurance takes over..

buck passing at its finest

leiniesred
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
There was a cartoon showing a young Geoff Healey pointing at a bare Austin Healey frame on the factory floor saying, "Look Papa this one hasn't started rusting yet!"

15 years of rustbelt life did in many many automobiles. My 16 y.o. VW bug was just about done rusting out it's 2nd set of floorboards and sills when I was getting my driver's license.

I think it is pretty cool of Toyota to buy back cars that didn't live up to their expectations. Maybe I'll hit'em up on the V06 headgasket recall someday!

Seldom Seen
05-08-2008, 12:13 AM
you can blame the us all you want, but SOMEONE in toyota approved the bid....

I have one word for you: Indemnification

toyota will hold dana accountable, and dana will hold the supplier of the steel or the coating accountable, who, if they are lucky enough to be the manufacturer of the steel or the coating, will get stuck with the bill. Then the corporate insurance takes over..

buck passing at its finest

Close, but the word is BAILOUT!! isn't funny, that every time the auto, airline or banking industry screws the pooch, they cry poverty and and ask for a government hand out. Seems odd, that when times are good, those with all the money want to privatize the profits. When times are bad they want to socialize the losses.

SteveH
05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Has anyone seen/owned a truck with this frame and concluded whether it was a design flaw, steel flaw, or coating flaw? I realize the only rust test would take place in the midwest or a coastal area.

Considering the brouha over the FJ Cruiser inner fender cracking, you'd think there'd be a 'rusty Taco frame' web site.

Red_Chili
05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Justin said he has seen a couple rusty framed Tacos at Burt, FWIW.

It was a coating flaw.

Jacket
10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Looks like attention is now turning to the Tundra.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/10/nhtsa-opens-tundra-investigation-into-frame-rust-issue.html

MDH33
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
"In a program that covers 813,000 trucks and could cost almost $100 million, Toyota is offering to buy back 1995-2000 Tacoma pickups with frames so badly rusted that they cannot be repaired.

old thread revival, but curious what changed after 2000?

powderpig
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Maybe nothings, I would hope a different coating to be a minium: I guess a few months back, tundra frames are going through the same things currently. I do not know if they have identified all the years that Dana was not producing the frames to Toyota's specs and Toyota did not catch it in the QC end.

Jacket
10-09-2009, 12:46 PM
old thread revival, but curious what changed after 2000?

From what I recall, Toyota is inspecting 2001-2004 models when brought in, and doing a frame swap (rather than buyback) if needed.