PDA

View Full Version : Moab trail recommendations

RockRunner
05-10-2008, 12:59 PM
OK, we are heading out to Moab again this Memorial Day weekend and need some 2-3 1/2 type trails to run. Last year we did fins and things and everybody liked it and came out with out any body damage. This year we would like to run some different trails that are comparable.

The rigs going are all H**ps except mine :D. The lowest set up jeep is running 31" tires and has a limited slip rear. besides that it is all stock. None of the drivers like BD so a trail with challenges that has by passes is most desired, I don't want to get to bored ;)

Some that I have thought about;

Steel Bender

Kane Creek

Possibly Poison Spider

Anything else???

Corbet
05-10-2008, 01:18 PM
hells revenge

Chris
05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Steel Bender

No bypass for The Wall on Steel Bender. Sliders are a necessity IMHO though Rezarf didn't have any trouble.

Just my :twocents:

Rezarf
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Great pic Chris-

I didn't drag but I am on 35s the short wheel base helps the breakover angle too.

steel bender was pretty intense, doable, but intense.

Drew

Chris
05-10-2008, 02:15 PM
You did great Drew! It's obvious from the pic that I didn't follow my spotter very well. A bit more to the left with my wheel planted on the rock would have been much better.

Next time!

RockRunner
05-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Forgot about that obstacle. I don't think the H**p with 31-32" tires will be able to get up there with a strap and some dragging. With the best line possible and a rock or two I guess it could be done but...........????

Any other suggestions.............

Corbet did you do Hells Revenge? How is your ride equiped now? I know you made some changes.

Rezarf
05-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Fins, E-hill (worth the drive IMHO), porcupine rim, chicken corners are all easier aren't they?

I'd suggest getting a hold of a Wells book and plan from there.

Drew

RockRunner
05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I have the Wells book but I do not agree with most of his ratings. I find him to over rate most trails. Much better info from people I know who have driven the trails with comparable vehicles.

We ran Fins last year so time for another trail or two. I'll check out some of your suggestions, I think Porcupine might be a decent trail to go on.

Nay
05-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Elephant Hill is 100% worth the trip if a) your group can handle the Hill (some pucker factor as it is very steep over the hill), and b) you take some of the spurs for example the hike to the Joint and Confluence. That stuff makes E-Hill an absolute gem along with the very different and at times intimate terrain of the Needles District.

I think Poison Spider is a great middle ground trail. Close to Moab, some thrills without being overly difficult. The Waterfall might seem a bit much again to a novice, but 31's and a LSD should be plenty. PSM I'd be more concerned about the driver than the rig - outside of screwing up at the Wedge I'm not sure how you get body damage on that trail, but you come off of it feeling like you just had a serious day of wheeling. Please the scenery up on the rim is incredible.

Gold Bar Rim would probably be a fun trail, but not over PSM.

If I was the tour guide, I think E-Hill would be the highlight, personally. Worth the long day.

Corbet
05-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Corbet did you do Hells Revenge? How is your ride equiped now? I know you made some changes.

I ran hells in a stock 80 with lockers. Didn't use the lockers but once or twice. I added sliders and an IPOR skid plate before Moab. Other than that I'm still stock, running on the factory 31" Michelins. I skipped Hells Gate, :Princess: didn't want any part of it. But she even mentioned that we should have done it the other day. We took the bi-pass on tip over challenge too.

I have not run all of Fins but the section on the east side of sand flats road in both my 40 and 60 a few times. Personally I found Hells is easier.

treerootCO
05-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Kane Creek:

Hard line and harder line are your only options. Third pic is the view just past where Ben is standing.

Red_Chili
05-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Much of Kane can be done prior to that obstacle though. It would make a great picnic run. Also a great night run, ending with a BBQ, then turn around and head back to town. The water is big fun in the dark. Just be sure you know the turns :eek:.

Porcupine is a surprisingly rewarding trail and can be combined with Fins. Or so I gather from the signs. Wipe Out Hill is also big fun with low intensity (until you get to the namesake hill), and with a good spotter it can be a novice's highlight of the trip :eek: :D

Gold Bar Rim of course, and Gemini Bridges. There are also some 4x4 routes around the Sovereign Trail area north of town that could be fun, especially if you have some cyclists in the bunch.

+1 on E Hill. That would be a non-negotiable. Taking the Kokopelli from Dewey Bridge (RIP :( ) down Rose Garden Hill and out Onion Creek Road would be extremely scenic, and Rose Garden downhill should not be terribly tough.

nakman
05-11-2008, 10:21 PM
When you're coming down from Porcupine Rim, almost to the bottom, take a right turn at that place where on the way up you had to hug the right to stay up on that little shelf. That will take you down to the lunch spot on Fins, then you can do the second half of Fins on your way out which is the best part of Fins anyway.

And x2 for Wipeout Hill, only do that one if you want the whole group to really enjoy themselves. Super fun high speed in the sand.. and it'll be pretty obvious how to get everyone down the big hill safely.

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Great ideas guys, I really appreciate. I will put these all up for a vote so that the whole group agrees. Views and fun is there main concern, hardcore wheeling is second. I go along mostly to enjoy the scenery and learn more trails.

Looks E Hill is on the top of most peoples list, next maybe Poison Spyder...........we'll see after that.

corsair23
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Tom,

If you want to see some video of some of the obstacles for Porcupine Rim, Fins, and Poison Spider I uploaded some from CM07 (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=zetonlineorders&p=r) last year. I believe I captured what you would consider the tough sections on those trails.

One thing I'd mention is if anyone in your group is not found of shelf roads with some obstacles then Porcupine and Poison Spider may be best avoided. Nothing real dangerous, just can get the pucker factor up for some :D.

IIRC there are NO bypasses available on Porcupine Rim. On Poison Spider IIRC only the Wedgie has a bypass. FWIW we really enjoyed Hell's Revenge. A couple of the narrow slickrock sections made me :eek: a little (like at the very beginning :)) and the ending with the mini rock garden on the ridge was a little, ummm unnerving, but we did all of the obstacles except the gate including tipover challenge. The kids insisted on doing both that and the hot tub :thumb:

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks Jeff, I will let my friends know where to find the videos and let them decide. :thumb:

There is nothing worse than having a friend on a trail you suggested in over his or her head. Especially if they damage something:(

ginericLC
05-12-2008, 10:23 PM
steel bender was pretty intense, doable, but intense.

Drew

Your joking right? Out of all the trails I've done in Moab I thought that was the most uneventful trail I've ever done there.

I'd add Hell's Revenge to the list (a really big Fins and Things). Metal Masher is sort of fun and has some nice scenery.