PDA

View Full Version : 1972 FJ40 FS in Evergeen

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
I saw this rig three weeks ago and made a note to come back with my camera. No affiliation, yada yada. It's parked in front of a muffler shop on Bryant Dr. in Evergreen. I know the shop as they've done exhaust for both my 76 FJ40, and my 97 HZJ75. One of their employees drives a 40.

I spoke with him and he said "the lady just wanted it gone", it had been sitting around in their yard for who knows how long. I tried calling this evening and left a message. The number is (303) 674-0122.

The body is pretty rough (surface rust they'd call it in ohio :-), there is considerable neglect, but what is remarkable is how stock and complete it is, minus the rust. Reportedly it runs and drives, and reportedly, the asking price is $1500. That's probably a fair price around here; more than a parts rig and less than something you can just jump into and start driving everywhere without putting a whole bunch of work in to.

Following is photos and comments:

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:08 PM
This is the curbside view, the one you'd likely see in a Craigslist type ad. Other than the upside down bezel and the hint of rust (and what's up with that winch wiring???), it looks like a lot of 40s I've seen for sale.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:10 PM
So here's the winch. Looks like some kind of 8274 precursor. 8000 maybe? Note the pine needles on the left of the winch plate. This rig's probably sat somewhere for a while.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Like I wrote above, I wouldn't start driving this thing every day until I at least checked a few things out. From the looks of this, it may have the original factory tie rod ends and brakes.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Interior looks fairly stock. The rig was locked so could only photograph through the glass. The bucket seats and the rear heater mounted between them seemed to be the chief mods to the cab, along with that silver toggle on the dash. I do not see a choke knob where it should be.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Another view of the seats.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Driver's side view. Now you can start to see how rusty the body is. And the hokey (but not too old looking) exhaust. Rust in the usual places like the fender support, rockers, QPs. Stock wheels and hubcaps. This is a very stock rig.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Lower left half door is totally thrashed from rust. The owner thought OEM tail lights would cost too much and used trailer lights. I would guess that fog light is supposed to be a backup light. Home made trailer hitch. Looks like this rig could tell an interesting story or two if she could talk.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Passenger side is about equally rusted as the driver's side. Couple dimples on the RR QP, crunched hubcap, other than that same as other side.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:28 PM
All the original springs are sigging pretty much. You can see that the aftermarket exhaust is not that old. I would certainly want to go through the brakes of this rig if I were going to drive it.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:31 PM
As it says on Greatful Dead's Steal Your Face album label, "The Other Side". Of particular note is the wiring at upper right. I would guess this may have to do with wiring in the trailer lights to replace the stock tail lights.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Whoever put the custom roll bar in retained the stock long rear bench seats without relocating them.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Got some decent motor oil leaks going on, most likely from multiple spots. It's hard to tell from the photo (and I wish I'd looked more carefully when I took this shot) whether the pan skid plate and pan are bent, or whether it just looks that way in the photo.

It also looks like the DS front spring pack is the most bagged out of the 4 (which is normal), or whether it was parked on uneven ground making it appear that way.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Everything looks really stock here, right down to what appears to be red Moab dust. Except that blue wire running in front of the filter into the firewall. My guess is that it has something to do with the winch. Carb and linkage appeared stock.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Obvious leakage going on here, looks like primarily from the front of the valve cover gasket. No idea why the air cleaner housing inlet is pointed to the shroud, normal is counterclockwise from there to be open. Upper radiator hose looks new.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Battery is date July of 06, so it's probably the newest thing on the whole rig. Object on the fender well is presumably some kind of solenoid for the winch, it's hooked to hot side of same. Distributor cap on the retard distributor looks like it may have been replace recently.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical of many 40s, this isn't quite factory wiring. An aftermarket ballast resistor has been added, and it appears that a ballast was used to replace the (probably open) stock low speed blower resistor. Ball valve has been added to the heater circuit. As is usually the case, the wing part of the wingnut which controls the heater circuit was broken off.

I have no idea of what the actual identification or function is of the two non-stock objects just to the left of the ball valve are.

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Since it was locked I couldn't see the VIN plate on the a-pillar, but this is the under the hood sticker.

Again, all I know, I put a message into the number shown for the seller. It's been there 3 weeks or more, and $1500 is supposedly the ask. If anyone need a more detailed photo, originals are 4MP at about 2.5MB, I'll be happy to send direct.

Happy cruisin'!

nakman
05-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Well I'm in no position to buy a 40 right now but that was most enjoyable to read. thanks, Jeff. :cheers:

Rzeppa
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Well I'm in no position to buy a 40 right now but that was most enjoyable to read. thanks, Jeff. :cheers:

Plow rig?

beatdown83fj60
05-12-2008, 12:40 AM
My buddy Randall owns the red 40 on BFG's sitting in that lot. Glen is a good old boy from Evergreen and I trust his work so that 40 may not be a bad buy. Bump.

Mendocino
05-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks Jeff, I too enjoyed reading this. I would love to buy this but the :Princess: would not approve of a third 40 in the family. I'd really rather only have one 40 and a 100. Anyway, as Nakman said, it was good reading all the same. I hope it finds a happy home and gets some TLC.:thumb:

RockRunner
05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Great reports Jeff, I would love a 40 but $$ and parking make it a little hard right now.

MDH33
05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Funny, I stopped and looked at this 40 on my way to work this morning. (Tim, this is the same one I mentioned Sunday). This would make a great winter beater. Thanks for posting details Jeff. :thumb:

Evrgrnmtnman
05-12-2008, 09:15 AM
That's parked at OK Mufflers......I wouldn't trust the guy that owns that shop as far as I could throw him. However, sounds like someone else owns the FJ. Just don't have any work done there...........I know from experience....

Rzeppa
05-12-2008, 11:16 AM
That's parked at OK Mufflers......I wouldn't trust the guy that owns that shop as far as I could throw him. However, sounds like someone else owns the FJ. Just don't have any work done there...........I know from experience....

He (Glen) has done exhaust for me on both my HZJ75 and my FJ45. His work is top notch and he's been fair and honest with me. When I was there when he did my diesel, they were transferring ancillaries from an F onto a 2F long block for another customer, they do know cruisers, although this rig doesn't belong to them.

nakman
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Plow rig?

Well the Scout and I had a heart to heart the other day and we decided it best that I at least first try to get its brakes working better, before dumping it for a beater 40 or minitruck. I'll dive into it later this summer once wheeling season quiets down a little.

Evrgrnmtnman
05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
He told me he would look at my 89 Ford Bronco(Full Size,351C) a few years ago to see why it was running rough when I brought it to him. Well, he told me that the spark plugs needed replacing( I had my doubts, but okay). Went to pick it up, and it was running worst than before, so I told him I wasn't paying and to put the old spark plugs back in. So, he put 7 of the original spark plugs back in and the 8th one he put some oddball brand in at the very back of the engine next to the firewall. He also did not plug in the spark plug wire to this offbrand spark plug(which I assume he broke one of the originals). I left OK Mufflers got a mile down Evergreen Parkway and the Bronco died. Make a long story short......Ended up getting it towed down to Golden Ford...turned out to be a part in the distributor and the throttle body needed replacing too. He was a complete Ahole to me.
Now, this was 4 or 5 years ago, so I don't know if he(Glen) was the owner, because I can't remember his name, but know what he looks like...........Muffler work, I don't know!

Rzeppa
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM
The seller was gracious enough to call me last night and tell me it has been sold. He's had it for 25 years, just doesn't have the time/motivation to give her the attention she needs.

IVANII
05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
This is OK Auto-they are actually a full service shop-but their specialty is in custom exhaust. Glen (the owner) previously worked as a GM tech for 20+ years and is very knowledgeable with carbies too- I personally think he is a great guy. Randall is his "protege". I grew up with him and we have tinkered with our 40's since we were both 15/16. He is very knowledgeable with them. I am sorry that Evrgrnmtnman had such big issues with them-that sounds very uncharacterisitc for this shop-but that is no excuse. I can't defend either party since I don't know both sides to the story-again sorry that it had to happen, They are our family shop and have been for 10+years. From little things on up to engine rebuilds always with excellent service. They are straight shooters and will not try to get you to buy something that is not required.
Just wanted to include my tweo cents for what it's worth.