PDA

View Full Version : 40's Only Run Sunday August 3

MDH33
05-12-2008, 09:29 AM
We had a great group of rigs and ran Kingston Peak last year. Thought we could make this an annual event and run a different trail.

Sunday August 3, 2008. Red Elephant Hill, Mill Creek, Bill Moore loop.

We'll meet at the Burger King in Downieville at 8.

40's Only! :thumb:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196787952_ceU4Y-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/196787188_t2PN5-M.jpg

treerootCO
05-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a fun trip! I was up there yesterday and it was a real challenge in an all wheel drive Honda CRV. :hill:

MDH33
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I was up there yesterday and it was a real challenge in an all wheel drive Honda CRV. :hill:

:lmao:

Yeah, should be a nice, easy day of wheeling in a 40. Nice scenery and not too difficult for the stockers. :thumb:

RicardoJM
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm in. I was recently re-readingThe trip reports from last year's run and am looking forward to being a part of the group this year.

Hulk
05-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Drove the 40 yesterday to Sonic with the family. I'm hoping to make this run.

Red_Chili
05-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I say a group of ne'er do well minitrucks harrass this group by running it just behind.

Yar.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
05-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Crap. I have something going on that day. I was really looking forward to this run. :mad: Maybe next time.

timmbuck2
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Makes the "tailgunner" position so very important!

Will make August my goal of getting the 40 on the road!!!!

T

I say a group of ne'er do well minitrucks harrass this group by running it just behind.

Yar.

Mendocino
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Cool, Its on my calendar.:thumb:

Red_Chili
05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Makes the "tailgunner" position so very important!

Will make August my goal of getting the 40 on the road!!!!

T
If your 80 only runs in 2WD, does that qualify?

(wait for it, it will come to you...)

timmbuck2
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
If your 80 only runs in 2WD, does that qualify?

(wait for it, it will come to you...)

wait......carry the 2..........I GET IT!!!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Ok, do the math on the 55.....

T

Red_Chili
05-12-2008, 12:26 PM
One broken birfield?
:lmao:

corsair23
05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
:(

We'll be on our way back from Ouray that weekend...

Hey Bill, wanna borrow the 40 so you don't have to go bootlegging the trip :)

nakman
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM

second in line if Red Chili backs out.. :D

otherwise I'll be looking to hop in with someone, who has a back seat open w/ a seat belt. :cool:

lfd270ben
05-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I really would like to come but I dont think my 40 would survive the highway miles anyone have a dolly with brakes that I could borrow?

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 01:07 PM

otherwise I'll be looking to hop in with someone, who has a back seat open w/ a seat belt. :cool:

I could bring 2 x 40's and a passenger. ;) :lmao: :bowdown::kevin:

Red_Chili
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM

We'll be on our way back from Ouray that weekend...

Is it well insured?

bwahaha...9058

MDH33
05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Cool to see that there's some interest. I hope we have a big group again this year.

For those who want to come along but don't have a 40 series: there should be a few empty seats, or better yet, Buy a 40! and join us!

:thumb:

Remember: I have nothing against dark-sider-mobiles and latte wagons. ;) In fact I have great respect. This run is just to get the old iron back on the trail and wheel with a bunch of other old rigs without being shown up by more capable and comfortable rides. Most of the clubs trail rides end up with only a couple of 40's if that, and a few of us thought a 40 run would be fun. A different pace and chance to bounce along and enjoy the scenery and check out and talk 40's during frequent kidney rest stops. :hill:

corsair23
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM

Well, there are two back seats (buckets with integrated 3pt belts) but they aren't yet bolted in...Does that count? :o

Is it well insured?

Hmmm....Oh yeah....Well, not well insured like the Red Chili is :eek: :lol:

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Cool to see that there's some interest. I hope we have a big group again this year.

For those who want to come along but don't have a 40 series: there should be a few empty seats, or better yet, Buy a 40! and join us!

Remember: I have nothing against dark-sider-mobiles and latte wagons. ;) In fact I have great respect. This run is just to get the old iron back on the trail and wheel with a bunch of other old rigs without being shown up by more capable and comfortable rides. Most of the clubs trail rides end up with only a couple of 40's if that, and a few of us thought a 40 run would be fun. A different pace and chance to bounce along and enjoy the scenery and check out and talk 40's during frequent kidney rest stops. :hill:

Sorry....I had and was driving a 40 when you were just leaning about Japan in Elementary school! That why I drive an 80 now! :lmao: JK....next year buddy...next year!

leiniesred
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I'll run sag wagon support with my mini truck...run y'all back to town for parts, etc...

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I suggest we have a dual master cylinder run up there too at the same time and catch our buddies before they hit the trees at the bottom! :lmao::lmao::lmao: ;)

Jacket
05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I may be the Jackson area that weekend for a family road trip before school starts up again. If not, I'll definitely have the 40 ready for what could be its first trip off-pavement in Colorado.

MDH33
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Sorry....I had and was driving a 40 when you were just leaning about Japan in Elementary school! That why I drive an 80 now! :lmao: JK....next year buddy...next year!

Wow, didn't realize you were That old! ;)

Uncle Ben
05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Wow, didn't realize you were That old! ;)

I am....I think... :rolleyes: wait....what were we talking about? :confused:

CardinalFJ60
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I had a blast last year...I'm in... :cheers:

Rezarf
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I will be there for sure, now that my rear end is healed! :D I was really bummed to miss this one last year, and I really like the Bill Moore lake area, thanks for putting this together Martin. :thumb:

Rzeppa
05-19-2008, 05:03 PM

So presumably 4runners would be excluded from this group? ;-)

Rzeppa
05-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Crap. We will probably either still be AK or still driving back :-(

Mendocino
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm in (as long as I am in town).:thumb: BTW-If someone needs to buy a 40 they can buy my 73!

MDH33
05-20-2008, 08:01 AM
I had a blast last year...I'm in... :cheers:

I will be there for sure, now that my rear end is healed! :D I was really bummed to miss this one last year, and I really like the Bill Moore lake area, thanks for putting this together Martin. :thumb:

I'm in (as long as I am in town).:thumb: BTW-If someone needs to buy a 40 they can buy my 73!

Awesome, glad you guys can make it, should be a fun day! :thumb:

Crap. We will probably either still be AK or still driving back :-(

Bummer Jeff, but your trip to AK will be epic I'm sure. Have you found a road trip rig yet?

Rezarf
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I know it is a little silly this far out, but how long did it take you guys to loop this last year? Of if this wasn't the run, how long would you expect it to take? I have a comitment on Sunday night.

MDH33
05-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I know it is a little silly this far out, but how long did it take you guys to loop this last year? Of if this wasn't the run, how long would you expect it to take? I have a comitment on Sunday night.

Not sure, but I guess we would be back by early afternoon. There's always the option to head back down after doing Elephant Hill and Mill Creek without doing the upper section of Bill Moore.

I'm going to pre-run this sometime in July and I'll post up how long it takes then.

IVANII
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I am tentatively in-Will be in Ouray/silverton/telluride/durango the week prior-so perhaps I will plan to meet up on the return trip. It would be fun to meet some people! I may try to drag my buddy up too with his '71

MDH33
07-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I pre-ran part of this yesterday with my father-in-law, Leif and Jim. I was in my 73 FJ40 with 34's and a rear locker and Leif is running 33's and a rear locker. We ran the Red Elephant Hill portion of the trail with no problems other than shredding my soft top and some fuel/electrical problems with my rig.

It's steep, loose, rocky, tippy, narrow, Fun. I don't think any 40 will have problems with a capable driver and an occasional strap if you're not locked. The trail seemed scenic and tame after the initial climb.

We didn't run the Mill Creek portion due to my 40 failing to start. It seemed like it was fuel starved after the steep climb and there was no fuel in the float bowl. We were pretty sure the fuel pump was the culprit. Leif thought to check the hard line and sure enough it was crushed along the frame rail, which would have cause the fuel shortage. We cut out the crushed section and spliced in some new line and had fuel flowing again to the carb.

Still wouldn't start...

We were stumped at this point and decided to see if we could tow it down. Leif's mighty 40 strapped mine the rest of the way up red Elephant and all the way down Bill More Lake to Empire. (Thanks again Leif!) :thumb:

We called for a tow truck and started waiting. While I was waiting I started tinkering under the hood again. I knew it was getting fuel, but seemed like maybe no spark (?) I pulled a plug and held it against the block. When we cranked it over the spark looked weak. I pulled and reconnected the plug and coil wires, pulled off the distributor cap and checked the wiring for the electronic ignition. I also tapped on the coil pack for good measure.

Started! Not sure exactly what the problem was but it started and we drove it home. Thanks to Leif towing me down I got the best gas mileage I ever have on a trail. ;) And Leif's theory that it only takes 1 2F to get 2 40's off a mountain was proven.

Hope to see all you 40 drivers on August 3

MDH33
07-06-2008, 09:00 AM

After pre-running part of this yesterday, I think that with an early start, we'll be back down to I-70 early afternoon, no problem.

Also, if anyone wants to bring a stock rig, there's always the option to skip the Red Elephant hill portion by going up the Bill Moore Lake trail to the turn off for Mill Creek and meeting us there. This will eliminate the super steep rocky section and you'll get to see the great scenery up on Mill Creek and Bill Moore.

This is going to be fun. :thumb:

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
What a sweet trail. I am not going to make the run but I know you guys will have a blast.

These first few pics are of the ascent up the first big hill, which keeps going and going.

Then the Tippy Gully

And the damage to Martin's Paki-Top, it gets pretty tight is spots.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Here is a video of the Tippy Gully (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMFJHpWE-Y)

wesintl
07-07-2008, 08:22 PM
huh.. a 40 with fuel issues on RE hill. BTDT. :D

Jacket
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Yea - maybe the 40's only run should be reserved for trails with names like "Flats" and "Mesa".:lmao:

Sucks about your top Martin. Any chance of a repair?

MDH33
07-08-2008, 09:20 AM
._.);79125']What a sweet trail. I am not going to make the run but I know you guys will have a blast.

These first few pics are of the ascent up the first big hill, which keeps going and going.

Then the Tippy Gully

And the damage to Martin's Paki-Top, it gets pretty tight is spots.

Thanks for pre-running this with me, Leif. Cool pics and video. And again, thanks for the tow. Sorry you won't be able to make the official run. :thumb:

huh.. a 40 with fuel issues on RE hill. BTDT. :D

Sounds like a story worth telling. :)

Yeah, it's pretty steep and I was pretty happy with my 40's performance on the way up. I couldn't get it to start after stopping at the top. I was certain it was the pinched fuel line causing the problem, but maybe it was a combination of no fuel/electrical gremlin. I just want to get it pinpointed before my next run.

Yea - maybe the 40's only run should be reserved for trails with names like "Flats" and "Mesa".:lmao:

It's actually a fun trail, and last year the group agreed that 40's are worthy of a challenge. Kingston Peak was fun and scenic, but I decided that this year we would try something with at least a little pucker factor. ;)

The Pakistan top is already off for repairs. I got some extra material from Ehsan so it will be fine after some gluing and stitching. The part of the trail that I tore it on caught me off guard. After the climb, there's a nice rolling smooth section through some tight aspens and the trail gets narrow and suddenly off-camber. It tipped me right into a small clump of trees. I'll be more careful next time and point out the spot as we head up and If you're running no top, it shouldn't be a problem.

MDH33
07-08-2008, 09:25 AM
._.);79127']Here is a video of the Tippy Gully (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMFJHpWE-Y)

That's a tricky section! Really Really sandy and loose and off camber. I watched Leif slide sideways and I decided to use a strap to the roll bar since my 40 is taller and narrower than his. :o

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
07-08-2008, 10:44 PM

That was uncalled for. It could happen to anyone.

MDH33
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM

._.);79258']That was uncalled for. It could happen to anyone.

No worries, it's the reason I wanted to pre-run this trail anyway. Make sure I know where the obstacles are and to determine if it will be too sketchy for stock rigs. Mission accomplished. :)

Maybe next year we'll do a "difficult" trail and we can get some of the built 40's out of hibernation. ;)

mtncrsr
07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I would love to go on the 40's only run but I will be taking a group of guys from our church youth group backpacking that weekend. Nuts!!

MDH33
07-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Bummer Loren! Seems like a lot of folks have plans that weekend. Guess it will be a small group, or maybe I'll have to open it up to the Mini-truck hecklers. :bolt:

:D

subzali
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Or worse yet...80 series trucks! :eek:

:bolt:

MDH33
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Or worse yet...80 series trucks! :eek:

:bolt:

How 'bout "The Official Everything but 80's run" :lmao:

CardinalFJ60
07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
so...I'm a little nervous about that tippy section after seeing that video...any words of encouragement to make me not so scared. :eek: :rolleyes: :o

I got a little sideways on a run with Jim (SROR) last year and Max went through a similar scenario on a loose gravel sidehill.

MDH33
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
so...I'm a little nervous about that tippy section after seeing that video...any words of encouragement to make me not so scared. :eek: :rolleyes: :o

I got a little sideways on a run with Jim (SROR) last year and Max went through a similar scenario on a loose gravel sidehill.

Yup, it's definitely tippy. The key is to approach it high on the DS and then keep rolling. There's a big round rock DS and loose sand PS. It's hard to approach it head on because there's a seriously steep climb and a 90 degree turn at the top. Then, as you roll down through the really loose stuff, there's another steep loose climb to get out of the ravine. Shortly after that are the soft-top-attacking aspens.

My rig is about as tippy as they come and I was fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it. We can always strap the side for peace of mind.

Or you can use Leif's method and floor it when you start sliding. :D

The funny thing is that you could drive an 80 through there while sleeping. 40's always make obstacles more fun. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Just chatted with Jerry and he is planning on doing this run and I might even have to go with him in spite of the 8 track playing dinosaurs! I offered to haul spare steering knuckles, 4 speed tranny's and vinyl repair kits but there won't be enough room for anything besides a couple water bottles and a sandwich or two.... ;) :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::zilla: :hill:

Rezarf
07-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Sean, come on bud, I will stand my fat butt on your drivers side and you will level right out. :D

Looks like fun and I am looking forward to it, thanks for the pre-run fellas!

Drew

Hulk
07-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Any guess as to when we'll be off the trail. My wife tells me that we just got invited to someone's engagement party. :mad: I really don't want to go, so I may just bring Charlie in my 40 and skip it.

MDH33
07-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Just chatted with Jerry and he is planning on doing this run and I might even have to go with him in spite of the 8 track playing dinosaurs! I offered to haul spare steering knuckles, 4 speed tranny's and vinyl repair kits but there won't be enough room for anything besides a couple water bottles and a sandwich or two.... ;) :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::zilla: :hill:

:D :lmao:

Glad you can make it.

Any guess as to when we'll be off the trail. My wife tells me that we just got invited to someone's engagement party. :mad: I really don't want to go, so I may just bring Charlie in my 40 and skip it.

My guesstimate is that we'll be down to I-70 by 2 or 3 if we have no issues. ;)

Rzeppa
07-14-2008, 05:37 PM
...in spite of the 8 track playing dinosaurs!

LOL! My 71 came with a Realistic 8 track installed inside the glove box. The locked glove box. Like who's gonna steal an 8 track player?

thenimirra
07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Ive got to get my baby ready dang it...oh crap I forgot I dont drive stick yet!

MDH33
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
There needs to be a wrenching party in your future. ;)

subzali
07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Seems like I just kept on rolling through the tippy section when I did it last summer, but then again I'm a low rider...:D

Everybody needs a LITTLE off-camber in their life ;)

Hulk
07-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Learning to drive stick on a 40 is usually cake. Do you have a floor mount or a column mount shifter?

thenimirra
07-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a column shifter I believe...it's a three on the tree.

Rzeppa
07-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a column shifter I believe...it's a three on the tree.

You sure do, and I shifted it! And shifting isn't so much the tricky part, in my experience when I taught my kids to drive on my FJ40 it was the clutch thing that gave them fits.

MDH33
07-16-2008, 09:43 PM
So Jeff, since your AK trip is postponed, can we anticipate seeing you at the 40's only run this year? :thumb:

Rzeppa
07-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Yep, I'm in!

thenimirra
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
You sure do, and I shifted it! And shifting isn't so much the tricky part, in my experience when I taught my kids to drive on my FJ40 it was the clutch thing that gave them fits.

is the clutch the reason why I stall out when I come to a stop?

Hulk
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Are you pushing in the clutch pedal, so the clutch is no longer engaged, as you are rolling to a complete stop?

If you are not doing this, it will kill the engine.

If you are doing this, the clutch is not what is causing the stall. It could be as simple as an idle adjustment or a clogged fuel filter.

subzali
07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Or junk in the float bowl. That's what happened to me.

thenimirra
07-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure. It was the first driving lesson I had using a stick. I was fine shifting from one gear to the next, but most of the time when I came to a stop, the car would stall out and I would have to restart it.

Mind you, I wasn't in my FJ, I was practicing on my ex's subaru.

Hulk
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure. It was the first driving lesson I had using a stick. I was fine shifting from one gear to the next, but most of the time when I came to a stop, the car would stall out and I would have to restart it.

Mind you, I wasn't in my FJ, I was practicing on my ex's subaru.

Push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor before you stop completely. You'll get the hang of it. :thumb:

Rzeppa
07-23-2008, 07:54 PM
is the clutch the reason why I stall out when I come to a stop?

Most likely, yes. It takes some practice. I learned to drive on a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon (gigantic old-school pickup truck) and a 1946 Willys J**p. My Dad's philosophy was that if you can drive something like those, you can drive anything. I think he was right. That's why I taught both my kids to drive in an FJ40 :-)

Rzeppa
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Are you pushing in the clutch pedal, so the clutch is no longer engaged, as you are rolling to a complete stop?

If you are not doing this, it will kill the engine.

If you are doing this, the clutch is not what is causing the stall. It could be as simple as an idle adjustment or a clogged fuel filter.

Her clutch was operating normally when I was over there and worked on her rig. I think it just getting used to the whole clutch thing versus an automatic.

Rzeppa
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Martin, is the meeting time still 8:00AM?

MDH33
07-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Martin, is the meeting time still 8:00AM?

Yes. :thumb:

We'll meet at the Burger King in Downieville at 8.

Mendocino
07-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have room for me and my six year old son? we would love to go?:o I'm happy to pay for fuel.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hulk
07-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Jeff, I am planning on being there with my son, Charlie, who is turning 5 a few days later. You are welcome to ride with us.

Mendocino
07-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Cool:thumb:

Thanks Matt; I'l PM you to work out some logistics.

Jeff, I am planning on being there with my son, Charlie, who is turning 5 a few days later. You are welcome to ride with us.

MDH33
07-26-2008, 05:55 PM
For those of you who want to run this trail but don't have a 40 series, I believe there's a group doing Bill Moore the following weekend as part of the RS Rally.

Also, there will probably be some seats (and jumpseats) available if anyone wants to ride along and see what it's like to wheel in an old rig.

I would like to keep this run 40's Only.

Rezarf
07-27-2008, 01:13 PM
For those of you who want to run this trail but don't have a 40 series, I believe there's a group doing Bill Moore the following weekend as part of the RS Rally.

Also, there will probably be some seats (and jumpseats) available if anyone wants to ride along and see what it's like to wheel in an old rig.

Or buy a 40 series this week and come on out! :D :lmao:

Shorty
07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Bummer. I'm not gonna be able to make it. It was a lot of fun last year. Ya'll have fun and keep the rusty, er, shiny (?) side up.

Uncle Ben
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM

Good on ya Mate!

Convert
07-28-2008, 06:27 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Way to go Martin :thumb:

MDH33
07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
This could really backfire when we have half a dozen 40's fuel starving halfway up Red Elephant hill and no fuel injected rigs to haul us up. :hill:

It will be an adventure 4 sure. :D

60wag
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm going to try to make it Sunday. I'll leave my (fuel injected) ride in Downeyville. Who's got an open seat?

MDH33
07-30-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm going to try to make it Sunday. I'll leave my (fuel injected) ride in Downeyville. Who's got an open seat?

I thought you and Nakman were driving Jeff's (Corsair23) 40 ? :)

If not I'll likely have a seat available too.

Rezarf
07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Good on ya Mate!

Kevin has been infected with Aussie slang... :thumb::eek::D

wesintl
07-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Kevin has been infected with Aussie slang... :thumb::eek::D

as long as he doesn't comeback eating vegamite sandwiches and put beets on his burgers and all that wierd aussi stuff :lmao:

Uncle Ben
07-30-2008, 04:01 PM
as long as he doesn't comeback eating vegamite sandwiches and put beets on his burgers and all that wierd aussi stuff :lmao:

Those common traits here will stay here! Unfortunately, my Cruiser addition (wife calls it an obsession) has definitely been bumped up a few notches as has my lust for 5 speed gear boxes behind turbo diesels. I think I might start to put together a plan to properly import a 78/79 series Trayback....I want one really bad! I just have no clue why we don't get Traybacks or TD's.......it's just mind boggling! :rolleyes::confused::confused: Any truck (including El Camino's) here that are heavier duty than 1/2 ton have the no rust aluminum (some steel) trayback. Many light duties have them to obviously because they hate rust here as much as I do! A 30+ MPG TD that has nearly the same HP as a 4.7 and more torque should be an option for us! Here in Sydney Cruisers are pretty scarce but it's also a huge, busy, sprawled out city. Go rural and every other vehicle is either a Cruiser, TD Hi-Lux (Tacos are still called Hi-Luix's here) or a Patrol (pickup or wagon).

I have only spotted 2 40's here (both were moving...no pix), 1 HJ-45 Trayback, and probably the only 55 here on the continent not rusted back to raw materials. 75, 78/79's, 80's and Patrols are the choice for serious "Bush" work. The younger set lift the older Hi-Luxs but not many are really set up "Bush" tough like we have in the states. LIft and oversize tire laws here put a damper on the majority of folks with modded trucks. 33's can get by without too much hassle but if they get a speeding ticket they have to put the small tyres back on and get the vehicle re-certified. Every one of the blokes I've talked with with Built trucks have a set of 35 or bigger tyres stashed in the "shed" for "Bush" use only.

DaveInDenver
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
A 30+ MPG TD that has nearly the same HP as a 4.7 and more torque should be an option for us!
FWIW, we are supposedly getting the 4.5L V8 TDI 1VD-FTV that's currently in the 200 series and 78 series Cruisers in Australia (and maybe Europe?). I understand that it's 270 HP, 480 lb-ft. I think the Tundra gets it in 2009 or 2010. It would be nice if the Tacoma got the 3.0L 1KD-FTV that the Hilux and Prado gets now. It makes about 170 HP, 250 lb-ft, but there's a Toyota kit that bumps it to 190 HP and 315 lb-ft. That would be absolutely killer in Imelda.

Rzeppa
07-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I just have no clue why we don't get Traybacks or TD's.......it's just mind boggling!

According to BVB, there are several reasons for no diesel. One is the American market - 'mericans seems to love everything that has a "V" in front of the engine name. Second, and perhaps most important, is the ULSD mandate, which require significant technological differences from Toyota's existing diesel offerings. Last, they have spent the last several years ramping up their hybrid manufacturing capacity, and that is where they have invested most heavily.

I read somewhere that on the same day that GM introduced the Hummer H2, Toyota introduced the Prius.

On the no trayback thing, I'm pretty sure you can order a cab/chassis Taco and customize to suit.

A 30+ MPG TD that has nearly the same HP as a 4.7 and more torque should be an option for us! Here in Sydney Cruisers are pretty scarce but it's also a huge, busy, sprawled out city. Go rural and every other vehicle is either a Cruiser, TD Hi-Lux (Tacos are still called Hi-Luix's here) or a Patrol (pickup or wagon). Herb Peyerl of Calgary did a very nice 1HZ swap into an 80, with a home made turbo and an H151 5 speed. Sweet ride, but a LOT of work.

I have only spotted 2 40's here (both were moving...no pix), 1 HJ-45 Trayback, and probably the only 55 here on the continent not rusted back to raw materials. 75, 78/79's, 80's and Patrols are the choice for serious "Bush" work. The younger set lift the older Hi-Luxs but not many are really set up "Bush" tough like we have in the states. LIft and oversize tire laws here put a damper on the majority of folks with modded trucks. 33's can get by without too much hassle but if they get a speeding ticket they have to put the small tyres back on and get the vehicle re-certified. Every one of the blokes I've talked with with Built trucks have a set of 35 or bigger tyres stashed in the "shed" for "Bush" use only.

I read somewhere that is the reason OMEs are only the lift they are - to accomodate (what is it, 50mm max?) lift laws.

MDH33
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
... I think I might start to put together a plan to properly import a 78/79 series Trayback....I want one really bad! ...

That's the rig I dream about getting ahold of here. Probably not old enough to be legally imported though.

subzali
07-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Nope, not yet. But I'm with you two guys :thumb:

That's the rig I dream about getting ahold of here. Probably not old enough to be legally imported though.

rover67
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I just wish i coulda landed a 1HD-T for the 60.. that'da been sweet.

next time you go over there you should load up a container.

Rzeppa
08-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I will probably not be able to make this run unless I get well really fast. Been sick in bed with a high fever all week. I'm major bummed :-(

Uncle Ben
08-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I will probably not be able to make this run unless I get well really fast. Been sick in bed with a high fever all week. I'm major bummed :-(

Martin,
Jerry called me from SLC (Larry Miller Meeting) and said he might have to bail tomorrow as the wife was obviously not sharing his enthusiasm of being cone then going wheeling a few hours after he gets home. Still a chance but it's waning.... :( :bowdown::Princess:

MDH33
08-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Martin,
Jerry called me from SLC (Larry Miller Meeting) and said he might have to bail tomorrow as the wife was obviously not sharing his enthusiasm of being cone then going wheeling a few hours after he gets home. Still a chance but it's waning.... :( :bowdown::Princess:

Sorry you guys won't be able to make it. There's still some good wheeling weather in the months to come so maybe we can all set up another run later in the fall maybe.

I'll be in Downieville at 8 tomorrow if anyone still wants to run this. :)

Rezarf
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Martin- We are 50/50 for the run. I am hoping we can do it... if we are there at 8am (which I am hoping to be) great, if not, don't wait for us.

Drew
(fingers crossed)

Hulk
08-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Martin, I am planning to be there.

Uncle Ben
08-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Jerry is out which means I'm out. :( Since I plotted the time and the handbrake approval has been pre-arranged I'm header out still. I won't do the 40's only run as I have the wrong grill but I think I'm headed up to Jenny Creek to see what needs to be done and get some measurements so a mid week work day can be achieved. I'll be available via cell phone for a while then the 146 simplex and probably the 460 'peader (or maybe the 145) will be the only way to catch me. Have a stellar day folks! :thumb: :thumb: :bowdown::zilla: :bowdown::kevin: