PDA

View Full Version : dogs are sick

Corbet
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Both our dogs got Kennel Cough :(

Took them both to the vet yesterday. It's like the flu (virus) so we just have to wait it out. Its hard to watch them struggle coughing and struggle breathing uncontrollably.

Hopefully camping this weekend will cheer them up.

MDH33
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
That's rotten, I hope they get better soon. Any idea how they both contracted it?

Corbet
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Any idea how they both contracted it?

We left them both at a kennel in Moab while we hiked in Arches? That's our best guess unless they picked it up from some other dog in the campground? I'm no expert but those are the only places with recent exposure to other dogs. I don't know if there are other ways of getting it?:confused:

Red_Chili
05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Crum.
Your vet should be willing to vaccinate them to help fight that prior to their next kennelling. I hate to see the animal kids suffer.

Corbet
05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
They were not current at the time. The vet in Moab brought them up to date, but that vaccination apparently take a few days to become affective. :rolleyes:

Chris
05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
We left them both at a kennel in Moab

Sorry to hear that Corbet, hope they get over it quickly.

It's likely the kennel in Moab, there's a reason it's called "kennel cough" since it spreads rapidly in such places.

Red_Chili
05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
They were not current at the time. The vet in Moab brought them up to date, but that vaccination apparently take a few days to become affective. :rolleyes:
Good to know! Thx.

RockRunner
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Most likely they got it in the kennel, one of the worst places for dogs to catch anything. Good kennels will not let dogs in if they know there is a problem. Bummer they got hit with it, I hope they get well soon.

On another note, there is now a Rattle snake vaccine out for dogs. It is expensive but in my opinion worth every penny. it does not protect the animal from the bite but it does slow down the progress of the venom. If you are out hiking you will have MORE time to get your dog to a vet.

We are getting the shots for both our Golden's sine we walk them in Chatfield nearly everyday, it is Rattle snake country there and around our house. I will post the price of the vaccine once we know, Doctor had to order it.

Corbet
05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
rattlers are not much of an issue up here but that is something I might look into for Porter. He had too much fun chasing lizards in Moab. Hate to have him bump into a snake in the process :eek:

Kipper
05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
i love Porter, give him a milkbone for me.

Corbet
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
i love Porter, give him a milkbone for me.

Done :)