PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if your springs are original?

Jacket
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Wondering if the leaf springs on my FJ40 are the original set. The previous owner thought they were, but I'm curious if there is any definitive way to figure out if these are Toyota springs. I can tell that some suspension work has been done on the truck based on broken bolts, air shocks, extended rear shackles, etc..

Are there markings of some kind that I should look for?

treerootCO
05-14-2008, 12:34 PM
The only mark I have ever seen on a stock set of springs was the Mitsubishi logo. No idea why though...

DaveInDenver
05-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Are there markings of some kind that I should look for?
Maybe look for bumper scrape marks when you back out of the driveway?

nuclearlemon
05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
three diamonds in the top spring. looks like mistu logo.

Hulk
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
How badly do they sag? Really bad? Yep, they're original. :D

Rzeppa
05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
How badly do they sag? Really bad? Yep, they're original. :D

Heh. Or Pinnacle. Ask Ige :-)

Seriously, as a quick and dirty check, there will be 7 leaves in the front packs and 6 in the rears. There will be military wraps at the non shackle (inside) ends, and the leaf retainers look different from many aftermarket retainers.

Rzeppa
05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Photos of the 72 that was for sale which I took some photos of show what the stock spring packs look like:

Jacket
05-14-2008, 09:49 PM
You know - these are in pretty good shape, decent arc, reasonable support. I think they still have some life left in them. I couldn't find the "Mitsubishi diamonds", but the PO applied some kind of black coating to the entire underneath, so its tough to say. But the counts that Jeff provided match up (7 front; 6 rears), and my Ubolt plates look a lot like the picture, except that my shock mounts are at the bottom of the UBolt plates.

I'll clean them up and see what else I can find.

Rezarf
05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Matt- Are you not installing the lift springs anymore?

Drew

Jacket
05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I still am. The new OME's are in on the rear axle, and the old front springs are out - waiting for some time to finish up the front. But I was looking at the old front leafs, and trying to find any markings that would indicate they were OEM.

I don't want to discard any original parts as long as I have the truck.

Rzeppa
05-14-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't want to discard any original parts as long as I have the truck.

My wife makes fun of my pack-rat instincts when it comes to old cruiser parts, but many of those old parts have helped out fellow club members in need, even old springs!

Rzeppa
05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
except that my shock mounts are at the bottom of the UBolt plates.

That would be stock for a 76.

Jacket
05-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Jeff. :cheers: