PDA

View Full Version : taco owners ? for u

Beater
05-15-2008, 06:38 AM
so what year did the xtra cab actually get big enough to carry pre-teens/teen sized passengers in the back for more than 2 miles?

DaveInDenver
05-15-2008, 07:02 AM
The 1996-2004 Tacoma XtraCab is basically the same as the 1989-1995 pickup, forward facing jump seats. Dunno about the 2005+ Tacoma Access Cab, that might be bigger. In reality, the 3rd gen truck and 1st gen Tacoma XtraCab is just sufficient for 4 of us to cram in for skiing, but you gotta be friendly with your buds...

Tanglefoot
05-15-2008, 07:52 AM
You could grab a 4-door double cab! Those came out in '01 with the auto tranny and 5-foot bed. A lot of them have the TRD E-locker! Or if you wait 'till '05 you can get a double cab with any tranny or 6-foot bed.

Jacket
05-15-2008, 08:51 AM
so what year did the xtra cab actually get big enough to carry pre-teens/teen sized passengers in the back for more than 2 miles?

Arguably never.....

I guess it depends on your tolerance. When I started taco-shopping, I was going to get an early 2000's access cab. But I quickly realized that both the 1st gen and 2nd gen Tacoma access cabs are not really reasonable for seating unless you're making a quick trip to the hardware store or soccer fields. Since I wanted to use mine for traveling, and having a family of 4, the double cab quickly became the only choice for me. And the length and wheel base are the same on the two options; you just give bed space for cabin space on the double cab.

Red_Chili
05-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I think if I had to start over with building a 4x4 that would be useful, I would start with a double cab early 2000s Taco.
It would get a manual tranny and a solid axle pretty darn quick though.