PDA

View Full Version : 4 Point seat belt harnesses

Rezarf
05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
So, my :Princess: was always feeling exposed in Moab with no doors, no front cage, and only lap belts... see UB's caption quest for how much she enjoyed the descents on Fins and Things :D

I was scanning the auto catalogs and stuff and came across 4 point seat belt harnesses. These are a true 4 point design, two shoulder straps and a lap belt, but the connect with the traditional two-piece seat belt connection instead of a racing style cam... which I think would make them more convenient for everyday use.

Anyone out there using these? I am having a hard time figuring if they are comfortable and if they will hinder leaning out the side for a looky-loo off road. I think :Princess: would feel more comfortable with them on... that and we are going to get the Metal Tech front profile bars and fab up a full cage probably in the fall, before the top goes back on.:thumb:

Corbet
05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't have any first hand experience but don't all 4/5 point racing style belts pretty much hold you back in your seat 100%. Meaning no retractor, so forget leaning out to take a look at anything. Let alone accessing the glove box or anything else out of reach.

If it will not function as a standard lap belt (2 point) too I'd forget about it.

girlsfj40
05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I use the lap portion of a 5 point racing harness. I have the full sets for driver and passenger but have yet to put them in, mostly because of the mixed reviews I have heard on using full shoulder harnesses. I still toss the idea around but as of today they arn't in.
I really like the lap portions that I use because they are a much more substantial belt(mine are about 3 and 1/2 inches). They are VERY heavy(might make a passenger feel safer) and I also use the metal connectors they came with. They are very easy to clip and in a roll over situation they can be released with one hand. I have had mine on White Knuckle and they hold you into the seat! Wouldn't wheel with anything less now. :)

Hulk
05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Another option:

My wife had the same issues as Stacy. She likes the open 40 far better with hard half doors:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=6385&stc=1&d=1192230377

rover67
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I have used them a ton in daily drivers and they really hold you in the seat if tightened. you don't want to run them loose because if you hit something, you'll be slammed into the loose belts... not good.

Anyways, also think about the fact that in a rollover, your head will be (roughly.. heads move a ton in crashes) upright in the seat.... so there better be a nice roll cage above it... with tubes far away from it. I know you have a roll bar, but think about the angle drawn from the top of it to the front of the truck... and add some crush. (edit... just read you are getting a front add on to the roll bar) Also think about the fact that your head will move up to 3 inches away from your shoulders in a crash.. at least thats the rule of thumb we used.. so make sure the tubes aren't close.

If I remember correctly you have lap belts in the truck still? you may want to look at getting some decent 3 point seat belts.. they tend to work pretty well in a rollover because your body can move inwards and away from the "roof line". Also, you have to be sure your seats are strong and mounted well since any slop or flex there will make the belts go slack. With harnesses you kinda have to look at the whole truck as a system..

As far as comfort and convenience goes, I like the cam style belts personally. Nice thing with them is you can choose to leave the shoulder belts off (not saying that's a great idea.. but it's not far from what you have now) if you feel like it. They are also easier for me to buckle... I've never really liked the seat belt style buckles.. or the latch link ones. This cam lock simpsons are my favs...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SIM%2D29110BK&N=700+4294839020+400151+115&autoview=sku

some other folks will swear by the latch links though...

Once you're in them though, it's like glue. you are there man!! so no looking around withouth unbuckling...

RockRunner
05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
There are 4 point harnesses that mount to the rear of your roll cage like the others but have retractable systems build in. I used to have them in my old truck and like a fool sold them. They work great, DAMHIK.

I can't remember the name of them but I will see if I can find them, if they still make them. they are not made for competition but for what we do they are the best. They hold you tight when needed and when you need to reach for something on the floor board you can. I could also lock mine out so they would hold you tight the whole time.

I'll try to find the info, Google is my friend also they are a little pricey compared to the normal 4/5 point set ups.

Found it, http://soloracerdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/corbeau3ptret.html

Rezarf
05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
There are 4 point harnesses that mount to the rear of your roll cage like the others but have retractable systems build in. I used to have them in my old truck and like a fool sold them. They work great, DAMHIK.

I can't remember the name of them but I will see if I can find them, if they still make them. they are not made for competition but for what we do they are the best. They hold you tight when needed and when you need to reach for something on the floor board you can. I could also lock mine out so they would hold you tight the whole time.

I'll try to find the info, Google is my friend also they are a little pricey compared to the normal 4/5 point set ups.

Found it, http://soloracerdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/corbeau3ptret.html

Tom- that is really a neat set up, thanks for the tip! :D

Mendocino
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I have Summit Racing 4 points that need to be installed in the 40 and the more factory lap and retractable shoulder style. My plan is to use the retractable bit on the road and the 4 point on the trail. I would tend to use the lap belt on the trail and put on the shoulder restraints when things get challenging. Using this method I think I will have the best of both systems.

Uncle Ben
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I have RCI 3" 5 points in Wildrice. I love 'em! As Kim pointed out 99% of the time you wear just the lap belts. When you are on a stupid climb or decent or sidehill it's very easy to slip the other three points on the clip and then all you have to remember if things go wrong is keep your hands tucked inside the vehicle!

RockRunner
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
then all you have to remember if things go wrong is keep your hands tucked inside the vehicle!

That is a very important thing to learn.

When we did Pritchett with Dan and Dan Diley :D Dan jr. dropped into a hole with no warning, to their credit, the Dileys, they thought Dan Jr's wife never to stick her hands/arms out if they were to roll.

She was scared a little but never even thought about sticking her hands out.:thumb:

Drew, like most have said get a 4/5 point harness and use the lap belt 90% of the time then when needed throw on the shoulder belts, that is what we do and my wife is good with that. :blah::blah:

treerootCO
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I have the RCI 4-Point harness that Summit Racing sells. All I can tell you is do not buy anything smaller than a 3" harness. I'm not sure how to word this but nipple rash is not something to take lightly. If you buy a 2" strap, stock up on nursing pads, breast pads, nipple shields...anything to prevent chafing.

Corbet
05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
nipple rash is not something to take lightly.

I'll take note of that, thanks... :D

Red_Chili
05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Somebody's gonna grab that for a sig line quote...

Corbet
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Bill, you didn't read the fine print? I already did.

Uncle Ben
05-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I have the RCI 4-Point harness that Summit Racing sells. All I can tell you is do not buy anything smaller than a 3" harness. I'm not sure how to word this but nipple rash is not something to take lightly. If you buy a 2" strap, stock up on nursing pads, breast pads, nipple shields...anything to prevent chafing.

Also. in addition to nipple rash pay attention to where the adjusters are on the harness you're considering or you could also have hip bone contusions! ;) :thumb: :hill: :Princess:

treerootCO
05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I'll copy this here because it is relevant to the thread...

Uncle Ben
05-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Curious.....on illustration A is the difference between the two, if the driver was driving on Broadway by CU during a cold winter day vrs a warm spring day?? :eek: :bowdown::Princess: ;) :lmao::lmao:

Rezarf
05-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Drew, like most have said get a 4/5 point harness and use the lap belt 90% of the time then when needed throw on the shoulder belts, that is what we do and my wife is good with that. :blah::blah:

Are the cam locks a pain, or are they pretty easy and user friendly.

Drew

rover67
05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Curious.....on illustration A is the difference between the two, if the driver was driving on Broadway by CU during a cold winter day vrs a warm spring day?? :eek: :bowdown::Princess: ;) :lmao::lmao:

ok, now that's pretty funny...

leiniesred
05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
TIP: Get a friend in the race car world. I think it is 4 years max on seatbelts in the SCCA.

My Dad gave Jkimmel a set of spare, NEVER UNBOXED, but expired seatbelts. The value to a racer is $0.

Cam locks are nice because you can add the belts 1 at a time. Lever locks you have to get all lined up before you flip down the lever.