PDA

View Full Version : Things left 2 do....

Uncle Ben
05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Found my original to-do rubi list here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=56532&postcount=98) so I thought it would be good to put it in a new thread....

<snip>

My list of to do's yet is...updated

Swap Bobbie for a non clicking set of Longs! Done!
finish my on board shower setup done
install subtank rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rework some of my cooling system done
3" mandrel bent exhaust done
better on-board air system done
finish my leather replacement not gonna happen by rubi
move my radio faceplate from the lower console to the new upper one (when installed) rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
build a rear CV driveshaft and get my rear pinion rotated up a few degrees done....well almost...
swap in OME Comp rear springs instead of the Slee 4's changed mind...maybe later...
possible Bilstein shock upgrade ^^^^^
Fabbed single drawer system beside the fridge and power box
IPOR skidplate
Deka 31 and 78 series yellow tops with National Luna dual batt system
jdm Aux A/C fan install with factory routed wiring, relay and Circuit Breaker
swapped out Christo flanged rear axles for Poly's
Installed Christo's rear locker guard
.....more to come....

Crash
05-15-2008, 05:45 PM
You'll like the Deka, Kevin.

Uncle Ben
05-15-2008, 05:52 PM
You'll like the Deka, Kevin.

I've had the 31 for around 2 months and it's awesome! The yellow Optima in the main position was becoming an issue as the Deka was consistant with voltage. Just installed the 78 series Deka Yellow for a main and all I can say is WOW!

That 31 is nuts! With the fridge running and running drills and what not off the inverter I have yet to drain it below 12.2! I figure I should be able to run a projector and we can watch a full length movie with out starting the truck! :lmao: Might be pushing it if we are blending Margaritas and frothing Cappuccino's at the same time! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::kevin:

Convert
05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
WAY MORE THAN I HAD PLANED ON
I have not even had time to think about meals or camping
Better get back in the garage

Romer
05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
What pump are you using for your onboard shower setup?

Crash
05-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Uh, sounds like you like it/them already Kevin. Cool!

Uncle Ben
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
What pump are you using for your onboard shower setup?

Shureflo Marine (http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/Marine/product_data_sheets/Fresh%20Water%20Pumps/pds-4901-0201.pdf)

Uncle Ben
05-15-2008, 07:35 PM
WAY MORE THAN I HAD PLANED ON
I have not even had time to think about meals or camping
Better get back in the garage

How is the project going Dan?

Romer
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Shureflo Marine (http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/Marine/product_data_sheets/Fresh%20Water%20Pumps/pds-4901-0201.pdf)

I see why

The Smart Sensor 4.0 is designed specifically for cruisers and
midsize yachts.

Uncle Ben
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I see why

The Smart Sensor 4.0 is designed specifically for cruisers and
midsize yachts.

You got it! :lmao: Actually it was all a premium R&M Specialties remote kit that I had for my 40 and never installed. Turns out a lot of hot water! Turned out pretty sweet! R&M Kit (http://www.hotcampshowers.com/new51788.html)

Convert
05-16-2008, 05:51 AM
How is the project going Dan?

It is back in the truck if things go right should be running this weekend:thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
It is back in the truck if things go right should be running this weekend:thumb:

Right awn! Good luck/skill with that!

DaveInDenver
05-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Original Post:

Sliders -Red_Chili Built
Fixing and Herculining the rocker panels -Done (minus Herculining)
Budbuilt cross member -Done
Budbuilt IFS and engine skid -Done
Marlin 4.7 t-case -Done!
Ball Joint spacers (1.5" of front end lift and increased travel) -Done
Ball Joints - Done
Alignment -Done, but still slight left pull
Shocks -Done
Rebuild brakes -Done
Replace rear spring and frame bushings and install greaseable shackles -Done (Not doing greaseable shackles until I rebuild the springs)
Buy some spares -Mostly Done
Replace O2, plug wires, ECT, TVV -Done (except Fuel Pressure Reg., that's gonna wait)
Reinforce rear bumper -Done, Marlin Bumper
33x10.50 BFG MTs -Done
Fixing up under dash wiring for accessories (it's a hodge-podge) -Not Done, just hacked in a fridge circuit
Fridge -Done
Total Fluidectomy -Still need to do an oil change, about it
Build Fridge Mount -Engel Slide Lock bolted in
Middle Skid/Cross Member -Holben Arts Built
Hi-Lift mount on the ARB -Holben Arts Built
Grease Drive shafts
PACK!

Uncle Ben
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Cool! Fun to see how much got done and what got done!

Convert
05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Now that my truck is back on the road And runnin sweeeeet! I have reduced my list of Must Do To:
Finish 2nd fuse box install
Mount and balance new tires
Install on board shower
Fix the damn broken power antenna
Install IPOR skid plate

Pack and prepare some food Cant wait this is going to be a great run :thumb:

Romer
05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Excellent, Glad to hear your up and running again Dan.

Hulk
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Updated 6/8/2008

These things have been done:
• 4.88 gears (done. Precision gears)
• Fix front of sliders so they don't hit my new tires
(sliced at both ends and welded up courtesy of Mr. Green Machine)
• Lift of some sort: need more than I have now
(now rocking the Slee 4" lift)
• 315 tires (Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials)
• Winch (used Warn M12000)
• New Redline synthetic gear oil in diffs and transfer case (not on original list)
• Head gasket service done by Powderpig (not on original list)
• buy and install synthetic winch rope (not on original list)
• install Slee electrical harness (already own)
• install Center Diff Lock switch (already own)
• install MAF upgrade (not on original list)

These are yet to do:

• install front and rear Slee adjustable panhard rods (own, need to install)
• install John Deere low beam lights (already own)

This might get done. If not, no big deal:
• install new speakers for stereo (already own: Infinitys)
• install rear overhead light (already own)

These just ain't gonna happen:
• Sub tank (someday)
• Drawers
• Fridge

Convert
05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Mount and balance new tires Done
Install on board shower Bracket is built
Fix the damn broken power antenna Ordered
Install IPOR skid plate Installed
Install new front windshield gasket Have in hand
Go through tools and trail box figure out some sort of tie down system for eveything

Tch2fly
05-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I still need to swap front control arms but I got a couple things done:

Installed Slee Tcase skid plate (replaced crossmember with an unmolested version, thanks to Corbet:thumb:)

Modified my rear storage unit. It was too tall to have easy access to the Engel. It was also a good time to move one of my stereo amps from the side of the storage unit into the qtr panel to make room for an inverter (may not make the budget till after Rubithon)

I cut out one side dropped it down leaving enough room to hold 2 5-gal scepter cans
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/misc008.jpg

and installed a slide for the fridge.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/misc007.jpg

Still waiting on some things to complete my "secret project"

mtncrsr
05-24-2008, 07:23 AM
I still trying to design a custom skid plate. What a complex 3-D project that has become.
I also am looking at upgrading my steering components with some from 4X4 Labs. We will see how the finances look for that one.
Lastly I have leak in the AC system that I need to track down and fix.

Convert
05-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Mount and balance new tires Done
Install on board shower Bracket is built
Fix the damn broken power antenna Ordered
Install IPOR skid plate Installed
Install new front windshield gasket Have in hand
Go through tools and trail box figure out some sort of tie down system for eveything

Man what a day felt like I was going in reverse all day.I would finish something and move on only to step back and redo what I thought was completed.Any way 2nd Fuse box is complete and running the fridge with a few beverages in it, Power antenna is complete,OBS is mounted need to run hoses etc. Need a day off going wheelin tomorrow

Uncle Ben
05-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Not sure how many of you follow the Rubithon thread on MUD but Now on top of everything I need to finish some final tweaks on my latest RC Crawler as General Sherman is putting together an RC Rock Crawl on Saturday somewhere near Rubicon Springs. My crawler has the latest greatest stuff while I've been into RC for a long time this is my first attempt at an electric Comp Crawler. Fun little beast for sure. On it I need too....

Finish trimming and detailing the body
rework the driveshafts so they don't twist out
fine tune/program the ESC and get some test rock time
wrap the antenna and secure it under the body
abuse it and discover weak links and stock my RC tool box with spare parts
Make a miniture Rising Sun sticker to represent the club

Convert
05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Not sure how many of you follow the Rubithon thread on MUD but Now on top of everything I need to finish some final tweaks on my latest RC Crawler as General Sherman is putting together an RC Rock Crawl on Saturday somewhere near Rubicon Springs. My crawler has the latest greatest stuff while I've been into RC for a long time this is my first attempt at an electric Comp Crawler. Fun little beast for sure. On it I need too....

Finish trimming and detailing the body
rework the driveshafts so they don't twist out
fine tune/program the ESC and get some test rock time
wrap the antenna and secure it under the body
abuse it and discover weak links and stock my RC tool box with spare parts
Make a miniture Rising Sun sticker to represent the club

Yea saw that on Mud, just out of curiosity what would one have to spend to play with those. I'm talkin bargain basement you know something to start playing with now and build as you go? Is something like this a good start?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-MAD-TRUCK-4WD-ESC-RC-MONSTER-R-C-RADIO-CONTROL-CAR_W0QQitemZ270238836312QQihZ017QQcategoryZ44029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Are there scales to avoid,brands? Total newbie here but it looks like a blast

Uncle Ben
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Yea saw that on Mud, just out of curiosity what would one have to spend to play with those. I'm talkin bargain basement you know something to start playing with now and build as you go? Is something like this a good start?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-MAD-TRUCK-4WD-ESC-RC-MONSTER-R-C-RADIO-CONTROL-CAR_W0QQitemZ270238836312QQihZ017QQcategoryZ44029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Are there scales to avoid,brands? Total newbie here but it looks like a blast

That would not be very competitive unless you dumped a bunch of cash into it! Here is a great deal on an ax-10! Already has a OK ESC and decent motor+ battery pack servos and radio. http://cgi.ebay.com/Axial-AX-10-Scorpion-KIT-Crawler-nice-RC-tamiya-clod-NR_W0QQitemZ190223627384QQihZ009QQcategoryZ44029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sleeoffroad
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
UCB check your PM's. I have more for you to do.

Uncle Ben
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
UCB check your PM's. I have more for you to do.

Got it....I'll call tomorrow...

DaveInDenver
05-28-2008, 05:42 AM
My To Do list is getting longer, which ain't good. Gotta work through some ball joint and suspension issues this week and get this thing into final alignment. This is a huge stumbling block in my mind right now, I've been trying to get this suspension dialed in for 5 weeks now and it's not working out well. Huge problem. I had it pretty stable a week or two ago, but checking the ball joints turned out to be a pretty smart thing since they do seem to be toast and probably were unsafe.

RockRunner
05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Go to doctor and have Microdiscectomy done or Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery:eek:. Heal in 10 days and finish all the work on the 4Runner and tow truck................Should be doable.........;)

Romer
05-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Well a friend of mine who wrecked his truck last year and since has replaced it, cut his twine (sp?) Heat exchanger out of his old truck and is sending it to me. Robbie and Christo will recogonize this as Nicks old Turbo'd truck.

He said it will be a pain to install because of the routing of the hoses.

So I may have an onboard shower

Convert
05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Removed item's form the list that are complete and added some to

Install shower side of OBS and test
Have new windshield gasket installed
Figure out how to tie down everything in the truck
Go through tools,spare parts and gear
Install hand throttle from Cristo
Go to Cristo's and put it on the ramp
Pack and cook some grub

Uncle Ben
05-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Got a few things done on both Ricecake and the RC Crawler tonight. On the Crawler I decided to get serious since I need to defend RS's honor at Rubi. It is now tubed! I redid several things and created more work to do to get it finished but it's looking wicked! I even scored some soft compond BFG Crawler look alikes that I will be mounting up on the beadlocks with some new delron rock rings. I'll click a pic tomorrow as I'm headed to bed but I gained several more degrees of articulation.......it can achive a full 90* now between the front and rear axles! Need to make skins for the tube body and of course make some very small RS logos! :cool: :thumb::thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Spend some time on the little beast today. Lot of detail and tweaking still to do but the basics are wired and assembled. Need to make, paint and decal skins too. Little creature is a bad boy! :D :thumb::thumb:

Shark Bait
05-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Sick! :clap:

corsair23
05-30-2008, 05:45 PM
DANG!!!

Waaaaaaayyyyyyy :cool:

I was thinking of bringing my little RC electric sandrail style car but I'd have to hang my head in shame :lol:

Convert
05-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Damn now your getting me hooked on these I want one that third picture is wicked !:thumb:

wesintl
05-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Dude, Awesome, You gotta buy one of these key chain bezels and mount it on there :eek:

http://www.cruisercrap.com/bezel_keychain/index.html

Uncle Ben
05-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Dude, Awesome, You gotta buy one of these key chain bezels and mount it on there :eek:

http://www.cruisercrap.com/bezel_keychain/index.html

Thanks Wes! Just ordered one of those 'pensive little dudes. When I made the cage I was gonna make it so I could put a lexan Cruiser grill in it but I choose to save time and didn't do it. I also made the cage out of solid rod instead of brake line, again to save time. These keychains are perfect!

Thanks for the Kudo's y'all! Fun little thing and it will morph again as I learn more RC Crawling schtuff. This is version 2.0! ;)

Hulk
05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow, that thing is awesome! And as gasoline prices continue to rise, you'll still be able to wheel as much as you want.

Romer
05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Heat Exchanger in
Need to mount the pump and figure out the connects and misc

Have to move the Fan switch to the left side of the dash to make room for a throttle cable

Take rear seats out and figure out how to load everything

Put RTT on and make sure brackets work

Uncle Ben
05-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Heat Exchanger in
Need to mount the pump and figure out the connects and misc

Have to move the Fan switch to the left side of the dash to make room for a throttle cable

Take rear seats out and figure out how to load everything

Put RTT on and make sure brackets work

You are going to do the RTT thing?

Cheeseman
06-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Well, It is happening. I'm finally putting a winch on the runner. Never needed one cuz everyone else has one right. My M.O. for all these years. Now to understand this in and out switch thing. That's what happens when you win the winch at the raffle.
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_bike_is_quicker_kawasaki_zx_-14_or_suzuki_hayabusa)

Romer
06-01-2008, 07:59 AM
You are going to do the RTT thing?
Yeah, Remember I bought the Oasis that is only 40 lbs, not the other one thats 150 pounds.

Convert
06-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Looks like everyone is very busy getting things done. This is going to be a great trip!!!!
Things I've gotten done this weekend.

Install shower side of OBS and testDone
Have new windshield gasket installed Done
Figure out how to tie down everything in the truck 90% Done
Go through tools,spare parts and gear
Install hand throttle from CristoDone
Go to Cristo's and put it on the rampDone
Pack and cook some grub
Change oil / filterDone

Spent all day cleaning the pond today, the fish are very happy now!

Romer
06-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Shower install complete and tested. Write-up is here

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/224359-twine-board-shower-install.html

Uncle Ben
06-04-2008, 03:34 PM
RC Crawler is nearly done! Just need to dial in the suspension and make more decals.....

DaveInDenver
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Got most of the rest of my stuff done this weekend. Hacked in power for the back and bolted down the Engel Slide Lock. Still need to do a couple of small things on the truck, oil change, grease driveshafts, probably clean the outside (lots of greasy handprints, can't represent with a filthy truck) and vacuum the inside. Started packing the Action Packers last night. I need to collect all the spare parts and stuff into one or two boxes.

I did hit a major snag yesterday with recovery gear. I got one of Slee's jack tools thinking that it would work on the ARB front bumper. But the orientation of the tab w/ hole is apparently different than on 80s and stuff because it does not sit flat on the bumper. I was just testing my gear and I bent the little tab on the tool. :-( So for the time being I will have to plan on using the kludged together shackles unless hopefully someone locally has an genuine ARB bumper adapter in stock.

I tried to do this, but it does not fit quite the same:
http://sleeoffroad.com/products/images/recovery/rec1043_450_19.jpg

So I need this:
http://sleeoffroad.com/products/images/recovery/arb_hilift.jpg

Just 7 days to departure!

Romer
06-11-2008, 09:29 PM
After reading about expecting water, I decided to extend the breather on the TC and Tranny. I had done the Diffs a while ago. Tied them all to the same reworked breather per Georges write-up near the brake booster.

If you haven't done this mod, you might look at doing it before you go

Uncle Ben
06-11-2008, 09:31 PM
After reading about expecting water, I decided to extend the breather on the TC and Tranny. I had done the Diffs a while ago. Tied them all to the same reworked breather per Georges write-up near the brake booster.

Don't know anything 'bout Georges write up but that was done the first week I had the truck!

Romer
06-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't know anything 'bout Georges write up but that was done the first week I had the truck!

http://george4wd.taskled.com/breather.html

George has a bunch of good write-ups I have followed. The Supercharger, Subtank, Snorkle and he sells some cool LED lights. He is also the one who makes the ECU for the subtank.

Click the back to home page link to see the other write-ups he has

Convert
06-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Everything on my list done except packing and picking up the old man and his junk!! He sounds more excited than me. Gotta get some RC parts too so I can play with UB :thumb:

Uncle Ben
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
http://george4wd.taskled.com/breather.html

George has a bunch of good write-ups I have followed. The Supercharger, Subtank, Snorkle and he sells some cool LED lights. He is also the one who makes the ECU for the subtank.

Click the back to home page link to see the other write-ups he has

I know who George is I just have a life that doesn't involve IH8MUD! :rolleyes:

Hulk
06-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Updated 6/14/2008

These things have been done:
• 4.88 gears (done. Precision gears)
• Fix front of sliders so they don't hit my new tires
(sliced at both ends and welded up courtesy of Mr. Green Machine)
• Lift of some sort: need more than I have now
(now rocking the Slee 4" lift)
• 315 tires (Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials)
• Winch (used Warn M12000)
• New Redline synthetic gear oil in diffs and transfer case (not on original list)
• Head gasket service done by Powderpig (not on original list)
• buy and install synthetic winch rope (not on original list)
• install Slee electrical harness
• install Center Diff Lock switch
• install MAF upgrade (not on original list)
• install front and rear Slee adjustable panhard rods (praise be to Oleg for slicing the front off the front lower bracket to reweld the nut on the back)
• lube rear driveshaft ujoints
• front end aligned (Sat. 6/14!)

This might get done. If not, no big deal:
• install John Deere low beam lights (already own)
• install new speakers for stereo (already own: Infinitys)
• install rear overhead light (already own)

These just ain't gonna happen:
• Sub tank (someday)
• Drawers
• Fridge

DaveInDenver
06-12-2008, 05:30 AM

Yeah, I'll be screwed if we cross anything higher than bumper high (my intake is roughly hip high). Haven't got a snorkel, running stock diff breathers and stock ECU kick panel location. How deep are the water crossings for real? I remember seeing a photo in one of the Trails write-ups, didn't seem all that deep. Is the run-off extra high this year? I could probably hobble something together again for the diffs, but got no time to raise the ECU or anything.

Romer
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I know who George is I just have a life that doesn't involve IH8MUD! :rolleyes:

Hmm that site has nothing to do with Mud. I actually found it before Mud years ago.

Are you a Mud hater Kevin?

Uncle Ben
06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Hmm that site has nothing to do with Mud. I actually found it before Mud years ago.

Are you a Mud hater Kevin?

Sorta....There is a lot of really good folks on mud but there are enough armchair wheelers and armchair mechanics to make even the best tech posted up into a circus. I rarely go anywhere but the TLCA forum, the club forums and the hard core tech sections....just not enough time to snoop through the BS most of the time.

Uncle Ben
06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Nearly done with everything but loading...even the RC Crawler is done, tuned, charged and ready to represent! ;) :thumb::thumb:

BTW...Wes, as you might spot the envelope from Cruiser Crap showed up today!

Romer
06-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Fill water containers, pack the truck and try and figure out what I forgot before I leave

wesintl
06-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Nearly done with everything but loading...even the RC Crawler is done, tuned, charged and ready to represent! ;) :thumb::thumb:

BTW...Wes, as you might spot the envelope from Cruiser Crap showed up today!

That's just about the perfect size :thumb:

Good luck and have fun!

Tch2fly
06-14-2008, 03:34 PM
YES!!! My secret project is done:D

A Jerry can rack for my Slee bumper.

Huge round of applause for Jim at SROR, great job making a mounting bracket for my Adventure Trailer can holder
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/jcrack006.jpg

Here is the full MUD tech article (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/226413-jerry-can-carrier-slee-rear-bumper.html)

Rubicon here I (we) come :thumb:

Uncle Ben
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
YES!!! My secret project is done:D

A Jerry can rack for my Slee bumper.

Huge round of applause for Jim at SROR, great job making a mounting bracket for my Adventure Trailer can holder
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/jcrack006.jpg

Here is the full MUD tech article (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/226413-jerry-can-carrier-slee-rear-bumper.html)

Rubicon here I (we) come :thumb:

Very cool!

Romer
06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Packed up and ready to go.

Had to test out the roof top tent first. Wanted the ladder on the side so I have it situated with the widest exposure aerodynamically. Will likely put it on the ground in Rubicon Springs.

Was nice being able to carry it up from the basement and putting it on the roof by myself. Very light