PDA

View Full Version : Finally making some Door covers

RockRunner
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
After my wife saw the door covers on Bill's Red Chili she told me I should make some too. Well with the Rubithon coming up and uncertain weather a possibility I did not want to be stuck with some plastic shoved in between the door and the body.

I scoped out the material I need to match the top of my truck and got some. Also bought the window material and some real stout zippers, SS snaps and some spray glue. Cost for materials so far $170.00

Next thing was to cut them to size so my upholster could sew them up for me. I spend Friday cutting and ironing the covers so that they were ready this morning for drop off. Final product looks good, there are a few areas I could have done a little better job at but all in all I am pleased with the work I did.

I just dropped them of with Jimmy and explained in greater detail what I wanted. We are on the same page now. He said he will have them done tonight, if that is the case I will be able to install all 50 snaps on the doors and covers and call it good. Of course installing the snaps will be a pain but.................

Here are a few pics of the progress so far.

RockRunner
05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Some more..................The last few are at the upholster.

RockRunner
05-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Last two for now. Hope the final product turns out as nice as I have it imagined in my head :o I am sure they will be fine but ..............:eek:

The center section will be cut out and replaced with 30 mill glass. The bottom picture shows where the little pocket is going to be so I can reach in and open the door.

I choose to have the zipper on the inside so we can open and close the windows from inside. The other reason is to make it a little harder for kids to come along and look inside..............yeah right!!!!

Anyway if you have any suggestions and or questions let me know. I have one passenger set up that is going to be extra. I may see if I can make a few of them and pass them onto club members, no real way to make money on these unless you do everything yourself and since I do not have a commercial sewing machine I am out.