PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your parts washer?

RicardoJM
05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Almost just like the title says - I know most of you put parts in there. I am wondering what cleaner you put in. I finally got around to cleaning up the parts washer I picked up from Ige and it is ready to be filled up with cleaner.

A follow-on question as well. Do you have to empty the cleaner out after each use to keep it from evaporating away?

wesintl
05-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I bought 5 gal of cleaner from murdochs. Even with the lid closed i've had alot evaporate. I've filtered it a couple times too. I just keep the lid down when it's not in use.

You could also mix your own. mineral spirits, diesel, kerosene etc.

The stuff safety kleen used to use in our parts washers at an old job was awesome. I might spring for it one day.

Uncle Ben
05-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I bought 5 gal of cleaner from murdochs. Even with the lid closed i've had alot evaporate. I've filtered it a couple times too. I just keep the lid down when it's not in use.

You could also mix your own. mineral spirits, diesel, kerosene etc.

The stuff safety kleen used to use in our parts washers at an old job was awesome. I might spring for it one day.

Just make sure the solvent you use is not chlorinated or you will have a tough time getting rid of it when you change it later! I buy my solvent from Bartkis Oil here in Boulder. Also do not be tempted to use low (thanks Jeff) flash point materials (Gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc) or you will create a very nice bomb!

Red_Chili
05-19-2008, 09:28 AM
FWIW, the machine shop I worked at as a teenager used diesel fuel as a machining oil, cutting threads, vertical mill, etc.

Maddmatt
05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
FWIW, the machine shop I worked at as a teenager used diesel fuel as a machining oil, cutting threads, vertical mill, etc.

Works good to keep your shovel clean when you're laying down hot asphalt too. That's a job I don't miss. Diesel - the miracle fuel!

Uncle Ben
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM

And obviously lunch time beverages....that there filled in a few pieces of the puzzle Bill! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao:

Rzeppa
05-19-2008, 06:20 PM

I forget whether it's Haynes or the FSM (I'm thinking probably FSM) that recommends diesel.

Personally, I use regular old mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner. High flash point, low vapor pressure, low toxicity, as inexpensive as it gets and cuts grease and grime better than most of the water based cleaners I've tried. Diesel and kerosene are similar, with the latter having a higher vapor pressure and a lower flash point. Gasoline has a rather low flash point and I wouldn't use it.

When I was a teenager and worked on a paint crew, an old hand showed me how safe paint thinner is by tossing his lit cigarette butt into it. It simply extinguished.

Uncle Ben
05-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I forget whether it's Haynes or the FSM (I'm thinking probably FSM) that recommends diesel.

Personally, I use regular old mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner. High flash point, low vapor pressure, low toxicity, as inexpensive as it gets and cuts grease and grime better than most of the water based cleaners I've tried. Diesel and kerosene are similar, with the latter having a higher vapor pressure and a lower flash point. Gasoline has a rather low flash point and I wouldn't use it.

When I was a teenager and worked on a paint crew, an old hand showed me how safe paint thinner is by tossing his lit cigarette butt into it. It simply extinguished.

Diesel works very good out doors in an open container! Good for your hands too! ;)

Mendocino
12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I was at Marco's recently and he had Agitene (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2W352?Pid=search) in his HF parts tank. I have tried all kinds of enviro solvent solutions and was tired of them being ineffectual. I bought the Agitene today and WOW!; this stuff is expensive but it rocks.:thumb:

It reminds me of being a gas station mechanic in 1980 using some carcinogenic solvent without gloves that worked too! I am so happy.:D

nuclearlemon
12-22-2009, 09:39 PM

diesel is the same...so is gas. it's the gas fumes that explode.

i used to pay for actual solvent, but it's up to about $45/gln now!:eek: so i just use diesel. works great, cheap, available anywhere.

rover67
12-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I like the agitene quite a bit, but it's not cheap. Not as hard on your hands as kerosene which I have run in parts washers a lot before.

I like diesel when i'm outside in a drain pan cleaning parts though cuz it's cheapo but it kinda stinks..

Rzeppa
12-22-2009, 11:01 PM
diesel is the same...so is gas. it's the gas fumes that explode.

i used to pay for actual solvent, but it's up to about $45/gln now!:eek: so i just use diesel. works great, cheap, available anywhere.

The manuals say to use kerosene ;)

powderpig
12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I use the Stoddard(do not know the spelling) solvant from Bartkis as well. It will last a long time in the tank, and forever in the buckets with lids on. Stuff falls to the bottom inbetween the buckets I store them in currently. When I run the solvant, it has two filters in it to catch the big stuff and to filter out the grease. Will last a real long time in that tanks system. I currently do not run the tank because I do not want it next to the house.
I also use when I travel gasoline. It strips the grease quick, easy to get ride of and will evaporate if I let it out side long enough(easy clean up).
Diesel and Kersene do not have my vote, as it does not clean as well as the solvants and gas(IMHO), just a bit better than organic solvants that do not clean work a sh*t. But I would never run gas or store gas in a solvant tank. I usually use the gas in a bucket or tub and not leave it around too long.
I have not tried the Agitene, sounds interesting.

Rzeppa
12-23-2009, 05:19 PM
When I run the solvant, it has two filters in it to catch the big stuff and to filter out the grease. Will last a real long time in that tanks system.

I used an F engine oil filter bracket mounted to the side of my tank to use stock oil filters inline. It is amazing the amount of junk they trap!

jacdaw
12-23-2009, 05:31 PM
When I was a teenager and worked on a paint crew, an old hand showed me how safe paint thinner is by tossing his lit cigarette butt into it. It simply extinguished.This also works with a full container gasoline tho.:(But pour out the gasoline and the butt flick starts a fire in the vaporous container.

When I was about 12 I was volunteered to paint a fence for a neighbor over the summer. My hands got a bit covered with paint and the only solvent in the garage was the gas can. My hands caught fire after merely seconds of vigorous rubbing. I was super lucky that day that the kiddie pool was close by.