PDA

View Full Version : VX-7R for basic Colorado mountain use

ttubb
05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I have been thinking of getting into the ham radio group as I spend much time in the mountains (live in Crested Butte in summer) and as I may be wheeling solo I was wondering if the VX-7R would be a suitable radio for mountain safety use. Second question, when is there going to be another school? Thanks in advance. Terry

Hulk
05-20-2008, 08:43 AM
You'd be better off buying a full-powered radio that you can install in your favorite wheeling rig -- it will have far more range if you get into trouble while wheeling solo.

The VX-7R is a great handie talkie, if you decide you want portability. There is a huge thread in this section on this radio. Take a look.

Don't know about the ham class, but please note that the class is not a requirement for getting your license. You can buy the book and take practice tests online. Then go take the test at a local convenient site when you're ready.

ttubb
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
You'd be better off buying a full-powered radio that you can install in your favorite wheeling rig -- it will have far more range if you get into trouble while wheeling solo.

The VX-7R is a great handie talkie, if you decide you want portability. There is a huge thread in this section on this radio. Take a look.

Don't know about the ham class, but please note that the class is not a requirement for getting your license. You can buy the book and take practice tests online. Then go take the test at a local convenient site when you're ready.
Thanks, Matt. I have read much on this forum and it has been very helpful. I will go with your advice.

Hope to see you again on the Telluride run or before. I plan on going on most of the runs this summer and want to be "in the loop" with communication. Terry