PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Long's 5th Steering Arm Bolt

Red_Chili
05-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Anybody use these? (http://www.toyotasuperaxles.com/images/HighsteerArmPhoto.jpg)

$50 seems outrageous for angle and a couple bolts, but it is an intriguing idea. Not sure how I feel about welding on to All-Pro cast arms.

leiniesred
05-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Go with Marlin's 6 shooter knuckles. Entirely new casting. 6 studs. (that's 1 more than 5, eh?!) Trail-mart also has 6 shooters for a little less.

The cool part is that you can build it up in stages. Use the 6 shooter arms or 4 hole arms on either 4 or 6 stud knuckles. I would like to switch to the 6 shooters about the time I get my steering ram hooked up.

Red_Chili
05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
That's a lot of money for a truck with no ram...

I can fab Bobby's idea in a day.

Beater
05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
just remember to heat/cool the cast, and use nickel rod.

Red_Chili
05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I was planning on MIG. Installed, so everything lines up perfectly. Do explicate, Sir John.

isotel
05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Chili, Do you already run the ARP Studs??

Without a Ram or Larger than 37's i think you will be ok with just the Upgraded Studs, or at least that seems to be the consensus on the net.

Ive been fine with my Stock Studs with 37's, But i Check the Tourqe every Morning Before i Wheel. The upgraded studs are on the List of things to do!

Red_Chili
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
I have had no problems with the stock studs and 35s, or with any loosening... but the ARP studs are on the short list.

FRORF has some, and Trail Gear has some. Trail Gear's apparently are a higher tensile strength. I read a shear test TG did, and there were two grades of ARP studs, theirs are 25K while the others are 19K IIRC. The 19K actually were no better than stock - slightly worse in fact. I don't know if those are the ones Brian sells at Front Range or not. TG's are actually cheaper, though I am not sure they come with locking nuts. Not sure how I feel about locking nuts anyway.

I've not been a huge fan of Chris Geiger and Trail Gear - but if Chris and Marlin have worked things out like they have, who am I to get fussy about it?

Red_Chili
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Had a great conversation with Brian Ellinger last night. He reviewed the testing procedures, torquing procedures, and issues involved, which I won't go into - but Trail Gear's testing was not exactly on the up & up. I will not be using the six shooter knuckles due to their composition, quality (Chinese metal), and tolerance variation, but will be ordering FRORF's ARP studs and locknuts.

Brian was very leery of welding to my cast All-Pro arms.

FWIW, they use stock knuckles on their project truck with a 2" ram, plus his ARP studs and locking nuts PROPERLY TORQUED and they have never even had anything go loose, much less move.

Convinced!

Beater
05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
good.. I wouldn't want to talk you through mig'ing cast... here's a hint when done:

snap, crackle, pop is not just for cereal anymore

j

bustanutley
05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Keep the arms tight and you will have no issues. 40s with assist and stock studs and hard trails and I have no issues :touchwood:. The ARP studs are a great upgrade. They are significantly stronger, but only if you torq them to spec;) They allow you to increase torq which increases clamping force between arm and knuckle. It is also important to keep these surfaces clean on assembly.

As a side note, these studs are loaded in tension not shear. All studs will fail once loaded in shear, I don't care if you have 4 or 6 studs. 6 shooters are a band-aid for peeps that don't tighten their junk. The real problem is that highsteer knuckles put and funky moment on the arms, this causes them to loosen. So check your studs every morning before you wheel, I do, and get about 1/8-1/4 turn on em every morning.

nakman
05-22-2008, 04:31 PM
..... I do, and get about 1/8-1/4 turn on em every morning.

dude, seriously? :eek: what do you torque them to?

Red_Chili
05-22-2008, 05:39 PM
The ARP studs are spec'd to 110-120 ft./lbs. :eek: believe it or not. They tend not to loosen. :lmao:
Stockers tend to.

Pretty dramatic considering 100 ft./lbs. is about what I torque my 5/8" U bolts to. 75 for the lug nuts... sheesh.