PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon 2007 video

Romer
05-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Alvaro e-mailed the following from their trip last September which was different than the Rubithon

Dear Friends,

Jay filmed and edited this video last September when we did the Rubicon:

http://tlcwagons.org/Norcal_Wagons/Videos/Entries/2007/9/23_80Con_2007.html (http://tlcwagons.org/Norcal_Wagons/Videos/Entries/2007/9/23_80Con_2007.html)

Enjoy

Alvaro

MDH33
05-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Cool. Looks like a tough trail with lots of narrow spots to get your wagon crunched. :D

nakman
05-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Holy crap... :eek: so most of those guys appear to have no roof racks at all, just the one guy with Yakima bars.. it's tempting to leave it all at home but I think with the additional passengers I may just have to have the rack on top.

Also towards the end, Big Sluice, is that optional? I don't like how the trucks all seem so slip off of things then almost crunch the body panels like that. I'd take Ken's 80 through there, but this is my 80 we're talking about here.. holy cow my hands are shaking.

rover67
05-21-2008, 11:50 AM
pretty gnarly boys...

wish i could make it. errr. maybe i'll let you guys go and feel it out.. :)

Uncle Ben
05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Holy crap... :eek: so most of those guys appear to have no roof racks at all, just the one guy with Yakima bars.. it's tempting to leave it all at home but I think with the additional passengers I may just have to have the rack on top.

Also towards the end, Big Sluice, is that optional? I don't like how the trucks all seem so slip off of things then almost crunch the body panels like that. I'd take Ken's 80 through there, but this is my 80 we're talking about here.. holy cow my hands are shaking.

Old Sluice is totally optional and if you want to try it you can unload your camping gear at Buck Island, back track up the slabs and then do it or change you mind again, no problem. Most of the tougher stuff seen in that vid is all optional. Really, don't psyche yourself out! You have wheeled in just as tough a stuff before the difference is the distance you will travel....you will get tired! The wagon group is popular and many of the regulars know how to wheel very well but there will be several that sign up to the group because it's popular and are clueless of how to wheel or how to spot (or their truck is not maintained)! Expects long delays of stopped vehicles! Because of everyone doing the same trail the basic rules are different than we are used too! The whole group does not stay with wounded vehicles as it will back traffic up for a mile! Ham radios will be a kick butt tool! The biggest difference with the terrain is the polished granite. We don't have much of that here. What appears to be just a normal large rock like you've done a kazillian times before has very little traction there because of the polishing of countless vehicles and extreme snow movement and runoff conditions. Also, don't give in to the hecklers as there will be many! Do what you're comfortable with and don't listen to the peanut gallery telling you stock Kias could do it! Rubi is famous for hecklers! We are going as an outlaw group and we are all good friends! Pick your spotter, listen only to them and trust your friends, ignore the rest! Your friends care but the hecklers are only after a laugh and campfire stories!

Romer
05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I only had one question from the video . . . . where do I find that ciagra stuff.

I also don't think we want to know what Doug had in the burlap bag

It was a cool and well made video.

bigbluefj
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
OHHH boy this going to be fun!!!!!!:D:D

Convert
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Looking forward to this adventure looks like a great group of Rising Sun guys. I have watched this video several times now and that granite looks slick when wet. There are very good driver and spotters in this club ask for help when needed and dont pay attention to the peanut gallery:thumb:

PS Body damage happens so ( you know the rest)!!!