PDA

View Full Version : OEM Jack Resto

wesintl
05-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I disassembled, blasted, primed and painted the oem bottle jack. Some light lube and assembly. I still need to locate 1 - 8mmx1.25 phillips screw. The yellow is krylon tractor and implement paint in Old Equipment Yellow. Very hard to find paint. Turned out well though. :flamingo:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/wes/jack.jpg

corsair23
05-24-2008, 02:28 AM
VERY nice :thumb:

Do you have the jack handle/extension dealyo?

DaveInDenver
05-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Where did you end up finding the paint? Did NAPA order it or did you convince Krylon to send it to you directly?

RicardoJM
05-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Very nice looking Wes. Good job!

wesintl
05-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Where did you end up finding the paint? Did NAPA order it or did you convince Krylon to send it to you directly?

Napa did finally get it. The one on county line and holly has 2 more cans.

I have to look around for the extensions. I don't think i have all the pieces for it.

Rezarf
05-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Wes I have a factory jack hold down in a bag somewhere, I might have the handles too, I will give a look.

Drew

Rzeppa
05-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Funny - I sandblasted and primered about 4-5 of those for Mark Sobzack some years ago, he gave me one which I still have somewhere. Those are very cool and functional jacks. No need for fluid or seals, it's all mechanical screw threads.

corsair23
05-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Wes I have a factory jack hold down in a bag somewhere, I might have the handles too, I will give a look.

Drew

x2 - One of the few things I kept from my '76. Not sure if there is a difference between what should be in a '66 vs. what was in a '76 though. I know how much of a purist Wes is :hill: :thumb:

Jacket
05-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Wes - Is there anything you did/do when rebuilding a bottle jack to keep it functioning healthy? I've got the one that came with my 40; it lifts just fine, but the jack won't go back down without significant weight on it (or repeated blows with a hammer).

wesintl
05-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd take it apart and regrease it. It's pretty easy. There is a large cog wheel inside turned by the small one that has the loop on the outside. That's what gives it the power. Under the large cog wheel is 2 washers that house loose ball bearings. The large cog wheel is basically is a large screw. As it's turned it extends the piece that comes out of the jack. I'd pull it apart degrease and clean and then reassemble with some light grease. It could be really dry and slider piece doesn't want to fall when screwed back down. It could have some pitting too that's hanging it up. If it's missing the set screw for the loop that you turn it could also bind gears.

Use a good #3 phillips or an impact driver to loosen thos screws so they don't strip.

I should have taken some pics of the inner. I think UB has a 76ish jack from Maddmatt for me. I'll rebuild that one too and take more pics.

hth

Red_Chili
05-27-2008, 08:13 AM
The jack is useful for a lot of things. One of which is lifting the axle on a vehicle with tiny tires! :lmao:

Hulk
05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Nice! Looks great.