PDA

View Full Version : Wanted FJ-40 Drum Brake Cylinder

RicardoJM
05-26-2008, 07:46 PM
This weekend I took on adjusting my drum brakes. I started on the rear, the good news is that none of my adjusters were frozen. When I got to the front, the rear cylinder on the passenger side appears to have a leak. There was brake fluid all over the cylinder and, drum lining and shoes.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/brakes/Leaky_Cylinder.jpg

This would be a possible cause for the truck pulling to the left when I hit the brakes hard. So, does anyone out there have this cylinder or a rebuild kit?

MDH33
05-26-2008, 07:55 PM
The wheel cylinders are relatively cheap from Toyota. If it were me, I would pull them all (front) and replace them. Get everything dialed in and new. The new cylinders are soooo much nicer to adjust as well. :thumb:

wesintl
05-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I just replaced my rear wheel cyl on my bj70 that was leaking. A can of brake kleen cleaned it all up. A nice OEM wheel cyl and i'm back on the road. Wife was even nice enough to pump the brake.

Rzeppa
05-26-2008, 11:56 PM
New cylinders for a 71 are officially unobtanium from Toyota. Kits are available, and new, non-OEM cylinders are available from CCOT. The CCOT parts are larger than 71 (1-1/8?) and I would recommend replacing all 4 (or 8) if that route is chosen, so braking force is even.