PDA

View Full Version : OME low lift on FJ80-Party

smileyboy
05-27-2008, 11:31 AM
I am planning on trying my first install this weekend. Is there any thing that I need to buy to make sure I have everything to install this?
I have the full low lift kit.

I also wanted to get some help from the community if possible. I can provide burgers and beer.

I figure posting here would be easier than posting on MUD.
thanks in advance.

timmbuck2
05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Depends on what time, but I will make it if I am free!

T

nakman
05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Isn't "low lift" a bit of an oxymoron? :lmao:

Make sure you spray all three rear shock bolts, today, with PB blaster. that's the one 17mm on the bottom, and the two 14mm bolts on top, that hold the plate up on the body. spray the front lower shock bolts as well.

To get the DS front shock on and off, I've found it's easiest to have one guy hold a wrench on the top nut, while another guy with strong arms twists the whole shock below- I've used a big pipe wrench on the shock to do this as well, which works great especially if you don't plan on keeping/selling the shocks you take off. this can be easier than finding the right wobble extension to get under the brake master. If you had a set of crow's feet sockets, this would be a cool opportunity to use one. Open your hood then look under the brake master at that bolt, then decide how best to turn it- that's the hardest bolt of the whole job.

smileyboy
05-27-2008, 05:56 PM
just changed my mind. I think I will do a 2.5 lift. Hehe the wife won't like that.

smileyboy
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Is this something I should be having installed by a shop?

farnhamstj
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
It's not rocket science but it is also the suspension that you will be driving on at 70+mph. Read the articles on Slee's website and see what you think. If you have to ask, the answer is yes.. or at least maybe.

corsair23
05-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Is this something I should be having installed by a shop?

I had Slee install my OME lift...Well worth the $$ IMO but I also didn't have a clue at the time, I was having Slee cut the rear cross member to install the tow hitch for their bumper at the same time, and I was quickly running out of time for CM07 :hill: (seems to be a pattern for me).

Knowing what I know now, the install is pretty straight forward but it helps to have people helping that know what they are doing - they can make the install go very quick. Pressing in the caster correction bushings into the control arms might be the hardest part of the install :confused:, and it is probably not something you'll be able to do yourself. So, you either drive around with crappy caster until you get them installed or you take off the control arms and take them somewhere to have the bushings pressed in and hope they get them in there correctly. If you have a spare set of control arms handy to have the bushing pressed into ahead of time great. Otherwise your rig is down until you get this done. NOTE: This only applies to the OME 2.5" lift. If you stay with the stock height lift then I don't believe you need to do the bushings although maybe you get new ones with the lift anyway...

Jenny Cruiser
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Do it yourself. It's easier than you might think. I've got some vid of when I did mine I can put on DVD if you're interested in seeing what goes on. I didn't do the caster bushings though. It drove fine w/out them. They're still sitting in the plastic waiting for my next lift. :D

smileyboy
05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, I'm asking cuz I've never done it one my own. Hence the post. Going to Pueblo next weekend. I may get Slee to do it if it I run out of time.

smileyboy
05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
bummer, Slee has a 2-3 week wait........

Romer
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
If he is doing a low lift rather than medium lift, don't need to do anything with the control arms.

Did you mean the medium 2.5" lift

FJBen
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
The low lift, if you are talking about the OME standard height, is VERY simple to put in. No caster changes.

Just jack up the front of the vehicle,
remove tires.
Use floorjack to hold vehicle/axle up
Put jackstands under the frame
Undo shocks.
Lower floor jack to let the front axle drop down as far as it can
Pull out old springs, put new in
Jack up axle enough to put the shocks on, then put the new shocks on
Jack vehicle up enough to put tires on and then you can remove jackstands and lower the front...you're done with the front.

For the rear, do it one side at a time...
lift up, remove tires, remove shocks
use the jack to get one side of the axle in the air, let the other drop
pull out spring, put new one in
Do the same thing to the other side
put new shocks on and you're done

If the spring won't come out on the rear, you may have to undo one side of the sway bar to allow it to flex enough to drop the springs out in the rear.

Use plenty of PB Blaster or some sort of penetrating oil the WEEK before, everyday on those shocks bolts. It's really an easy job once you understand how it works. Should only be a few hour job for your first time since you are messing with control arms.

good luck! :beer:

It's the same thing for the 2.5" lift as well. You could always install the lift then take it to Slee or someone around here to do the control arms, or help do them if it's the 2.5" lift.

Hulk
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
If it's not your daily driver and you can have it down for a couple of days, just take the control arms over to Slee and have them press in the bushings. They may even have some ready to go, and you can just swap your control arms for theirs.